South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:49 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is going to replace 8th at events in NZ?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:21 pm 

Hello all mass fantasy battle gamers,

What is happening to fantasy battle in NZ?

It seems To me like Europe is going to "9th age" and the USA are moving towards KOW 2nd ed.

What do you think will be played here in NZ at events? And what do you plan on playing, building, buying?

My next hobby purchases will be defined by what is on offer at events. Does that influence everyone else?..

I'm keen to hear what everyone thinks (also not 100% sure this should be in the warhammer section)

Post subject: Re: What is going to replace 8th at events in NZ?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 pm 

I think P Dunny is pushing the Kings of War V2 option; I'm personally keener to see 8th edition stay until it is clear how the "unofficial" 9th edition rules pan out.

No disrespect to Kings of War though; its a decent game which deserves to played in its own right.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 pm 

KoW 2e will replace WFB 8th in NZ i think.Twitter is full of kiwis in the north island tweeting pics of their games .
I can't see 9th age taking off here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:56 pm 

Warpmaster wrote:
KoW 2e will replace WFB 8th in NZ i think.Twitter is full of kiwis in the north island tweeting pics of their games .

You are probably right; a lot of hardcore WFB players are now at the third stage of grief, having already done Denial and Anger

Bargaining — The third stage involves the hope that the individual can avoid a cause of grief

Unfortunately the fourth stage is Depression, where everyone realises KoW isn't the answer. The fifth stage, Acceptance, is when we all start playing AoS (or Cowboys & Indians) and start enjoying ourselves again :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:40 pm 

Warpmaster wrote:

This pretty much
I think Chch is the last bastion of 8th atm in NZ. GW is dead to most fantasy players at this point.
KoW V2 offers a simple no effort conversion and a clear unambigous (simpler) ruleset with manufacturer support. They even have a rules committee thats active and engages with the community! :shock:

I'm currently building an empire army out of Perry Miniatures WotR range. Very impressed with the detail and quality of plastics, easily as good as GW if not better. Neverr would have takeIn a second look if GW didn't dump WHFB. Oh and a fraction of the price. $40 for 40 minis 8)

NZTC is KoW next year. I'm looking to enter if anyones keen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:27 pm 

So, it won't be a waste if I buy a KOW v2 rule book and the new army book...

I'd keep playing 8th forever if I didn't think it would die out but I know it will. I might hold off the jump into KOW until I see the first South Island event (don't want to buy a Zune...again) The only thing I know so far is that AOS does not really appeal to me at all, I'd rather play 40k!...And I have missed some editions of that.. I'd say how many I missed but the post would be out of date in a few hours ;)

You all sure it's KOW for NZ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:52 pm 

So if KOW is being used, do Warhammer armies "count as" KOW armies, or are there Warhammer lists for KOW?
What's the deal?

Also once 9th settles down a bit, it might be more of a thing, so I'm not going to suddenly butcher all my basing etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:01 pm 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
So if KOW is being used, do Warhammer armies "count as" KOW armies, or are there Warhammer lists for KOW?
What's the deal?

Also once 9th settles down a bit, it might be more of a thing, so I'm not going to suddenly butcher all my basing etc.

There are basically equivalent armies for all the warhammer armies in Kings of War.

See here for free stuff like rules, and army books...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:39 pm 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
What's the deal?

It's very much a switch to KoW in the North. I also don't see 9th ever taking off, or having anything but a brief future before dying out like 8th. It started off as a great idea but ended up a needless reinvention of the wheel and a ruined-by-committee mess. Not to mention no company support or continued miniature production.

The free rules for KoW give you basic rules plus basic Force lists for their core armies (ie not all the units for each faction are there like they are in the full rulebook). The full rulebook is hardback with all the fluff or softback Gamer edition for $24 sans fluff.

Mantic have just released the Uncharted Empires book which is clearly aimed at opening up KoW to all the ex WHFB refugees with a bunch of new armies that provide a version of every Fantasy army. Again cheap as chips, got mine on preorder with Mighty Ape and waiting to see how the Varangur look to convert my young fella's WoC over.

Basing isn't an issue. Use your existing basing, no mandatory requirement to make multibased units unless you need to stretch out your miniature count to make enough units.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:43 am 

Cheers Dave, and pretty cheap too. Might have to order a copy.

And just looking at FOB and yeah KOW seems to be the thing up there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:34 am 

Edit: this will NOT be run at pandemonium, we jumped the gun and didn't realize this event was the same weekend as Woolston's! Sorry guys. However, we are still taking expressions of interest and will be running something at some point :D. Excellent system and between all of us we'll get it up and running locally so fantasy wargaming is still a thing!

Old post:
Something will be run this month at Pandemonium by three of us that have been playing KOW for a while now.

It will be run to facilitate people freshly coming over from Fantasy - please post an expression of interest in the thread I just started. If you can't attend (or aren't interested) in the event but are still interested in the system, come post and we can make contact :).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:42 pm 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
What's the deal?

I don't think 9th will be a thing in NZ. Its squarely pegged at ETC/Europe scene. I do not think NZ will even have a 2016 ETC team so won't really be pushed by them/us.

You dont have to change your models at all for KoW. All the basing is the same!
KoW has equivalents for all WHFB races, so all you need to do is literally buy/download/read a rule book and play with your existing army.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:01 pm 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
Cheers Dave, and pretty cheap too. Might have to order a copy.

Your Beastmen are The Herd. Neutral alignment.
And there's The Trident Realm on the way. Fishmen! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:45 am 

We do need a KOW tournament :) do one prior to warclouds

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:40 pm 

VladiumNZL wrote:
We do need a KOW tournament :) do one prior to warclouds

We really do need a KOW tournament :).

I'm very hesitant to add another tournament to the local calander...
I've been to a massive 6 tournaments in Christchurch this year already and there is still one to go! Admittedly I played 40k at all of these and don't know how many of them offered fantasy.

I think we need to wait and see what these fantasy guys do. If they still want to run 8th at the 2016 events, I thinl that's probably the fantasy scene having spoken on the issue. I don't wanna be the dude trying to pull people from their system; as much as I love KOW and fear the impact of hanging onto a dead system.