South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Club BBQ and end of year game - to monster bash or not
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:32 am 

The club BBQ is on the 20 of December and we the fantasy players usually have a large team based game.

This post is to see who is interested in playing and what the game structure will be.

8th rule set. With 50% lord / hero choice? This will make it easier to take monsters as mounts. see below.

In the past we have played huge games of 15,000 to 20,000 points a side and we can do that again. Another suggestion was to have a monster theme battle (thanks to Frosty for the idea).
So we are interested to see who wants to play and what. If you have any other suggestions please let us know.

Options so far are:

Huge point game
Need to set points level and teams. You don’t need to have a huge point’s base per player. Each player can adjust their points to accommodate smaller armies. This is to allow players who may not have a large model base to play. For example – you could have 2 x 3000 point players on one team and 1 player with 6000 on the other to make up the points.

These games take at least an hour and a half to set up and each turn can take an hour. It gives you the ability to use most if not all of your army models (including one’s you have never used before) and having 4 to 5 tables together with hundreds of models on either size is awesome.

Monster bash
This battle is based around monsters. I was going to suggest a smaller point size per army (3000 – 5000) with at least 25% - 33% to a max of 50% of your army made up of monsters. You would still need to take the minimum of 25% core. War machines are limited to 2 per player and spells targeting monsters are limited to strength 6. Also victory points are ONLY counted for monsters killed.

Painting rules are relaxed, but we do like to try and get most models to have a minimum of 3 colours.

You can choose monsters from your current army book, Storm of magic and Tamurkhan. If you have any other sources for monsters please let us know. We want to get a lot of monsters on the table so the rules around which monsters can be taken will be relaxed. So if you have a monster model, but it is not in storm or magic eta, it will most likely still be allowed (just let me know first). Monsters taken as mounts also count, but you will be awarded points for both mount and character, so a 750 point chaos lord on the dragon is risky when you can get 2 to 3 smaller monsters for the same price and he is one cannon ball away from dying. :twisted:

Some players may not have a lot of monster models so this may require help from other players with larger collections.

I have 1 dragon, 3 chimeras, 1 phoenix, 1 griffin, 1 x hellcannon, 4 giant type models. So I will have some monster models available for other players to use. It would be great if players with larger collections were willing to help out other players with monster type models. Army builder lists a lot of the monsters (you have to change the rules to include storm of magic) and if you PM me I can send you the storm of magic and Tamurkhan books electronically.

So if you are interested please post your reply with what type of game you prefer, rough army size in points and if you think you will require help with monster models.

Cheers
Rhys

Post subject: Re: Club BBQ and end of year game - to monster bash or not
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:48 am 

Either options sounds good to me :D Haven't got a lot of monster though (well the truth is they are all unassembled for the moment) so will need to borrow from someone if we go the monstrous way :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:17 pm 

Sounds fun. I have a griffon and a dragon, however both have riders. What's the deal with that? Do we treat them as the unridden version?

I also have some of the war lions of chrace, which are from storm of magic, and some ogres (3 maneaters) which could be something?(dogs of war ogres?)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:11 am 

schemeinggeneral wrote:
Sounds fun. I have a griffon and a dragon, however both have riders. What's the deal with that? Do we treat them as the unridden version?

I also have some of the war lions of chrace, which are from storm of magic, and some ogres (3 maneaters) which could be something?(dogs of war ogres?)

With or without a rider your call. As long as the other team know it should be fine.

If you want to use the dogs of war ogres go for it. I have 10 irongut ogres (non painted) you can use to increase the unit size if you want.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:49 pm 

jtripper wrote:
schemeinggeneral wrote:

With or without a rider your call. As long as the other team know it should be fine.

If you want to use the dogs of war ogres go for it. I have 10 irongut ogres (non painted) you can use to increase the unit size if you want.

Sounds good. I'll think about the ogres. I guess it depends on whether I use empire and use the HE monsters as themselves/mercenaries (with riders) or whether I take the elves (definitely with riders)

I've a hydra and a cockatrice sitting there in boxes. Perhaps it's time to paint them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:00 pm 

What are monsters in this? Do you count monsterous infantry like ogres and monsterous cavalry like pegasus? Or just giants and dragons?
Don't want to be a negative nancy but I dont have any real monsters so I'd basically have nothing to use, especially if I get bugger all war machines.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:22 pm 

sorry guys i cant make it as its my famliys xmas day

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:35 pm 

Alan wrote:
What are monsters in this? Do you count monsterous infantry like ogres and monsterous cavalry like pegasus? Or just giants and dragons?
Don't want to be a negative nancy but I dont have any real monsters so I'd basically have nothing to use, especially if I get bugger all war machines.

Monstrous infantry / cavalry can count if that is all you have. I have a few monsters you can borrow, I also have available in monstrous infantry - 18 trolls and 8 ironguts which I don't see a problem as been used as a mercenary type unit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:34 pm 

I have a griffon, and a steam powered giant if I assemble it.
For monsterous infantry/cav I have a bunch of ogres and a pegasus captain. And Archaon. Can I use Archaon in an Empire army as my monster?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:43 pm 

Alan wrote:
I have a griffon, and a steam powered giant if I assemble it.
For monsterous infantry/cav I have a bunch of ogres and a pegasus captain. And Archaon. Can I use Archaon in an Empire army as my monster?

sure why not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:29 pm 

I was joking; using Archaon in an empire army would be more spazzy than Age of Sigmar. Although would we allow special characters? I have a proper new Karl Franz on Griffin if I make him up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:13 pm 

frosty wrote:
sorry guys i cant make it as its my famliys xmas day

No, you can't have an xmas day, not on xmas day... I'm so angry about this!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:23 pm 

I am interested might use my empire depending on what army are needed good evil etc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:16 am 

Alan wrote:
I was joking; using Archaon in an empire army would be more spazzy than Age of Sigmar. Although would we allow special characters? I have a proper new Karl Franz on Griffin if I make him up.

Take Karl Franz if you want, but not the end times version. He is to powerful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:45 pm 

I'll take one of the normal special characters. i have a proper Karl Franz model and a proper Balthasar Gelt model and both are kind of monsters. Their high costs would probably make up for my lack of monsters.

I might take Balthasar Gelt, normal general on griffon and steam giant.

Can I make up rules for my steam pig? :)