South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: orc list for southcon tournament
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:30 pm 

ok, to tell you the truth this is my first time going to a tournament of any type, so i would love peoples feedback on wether they think this is a passable force for the tournament.
cheers

2000 point orc force

black orc warboss 248pts
lotsa choppas
shield
armour of gork
effigy of mork
guzzlas battle brew

black orc big boss 126pts
lotsa choppas
shield
heavy armour
ironback boar

orc shaman (level 2) 140pts
the staff of badduum

night goblin shaman (level 1) 80pts
the staff of sourcery

24 night goblins 166pts
spears, shields, full command and 2 fanatics

25 night goblins 170pts
spears, sheilds, full command and 2 fanatics

30 orc boys 240pts
additional choppa, light armour and full command

19 orc boys 163pts

16 orc arrer boys 96pts
bows, light armour and choppa

16 orc arrer boys 96pts

5 goblin spider riders 76pts
spears, shields, hand weapons, short bows and a musician

3 squig herds 90pts
9 squigs and 6 handlers

5 orc boar boys 148pts
spears, choppas, light armour, shields and full command

orc boar chariot 80pts

2 snotling pump wagons 80pts

1999pts

now to me this seems like a well rounded force to chalange most forces but would appreciate feedback.
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:06 pm 

Mod please move this to the Warhammer section

Quote:
black orc warboss 248pts
lotsa choppas
shield
armour of gork
effigy of mork
guzzlas battle brew

I don't rate that armour and would rather take Amulet of protectness,and maybe the re roll misses axe

Quote:
lotsa choppas
shield
heavy armour
ironback boar

If your could make this dude a BSB with sword of might too it would be wicket

Quote:
the staff of badduum

Think he would be better with a dispel scroll and/or a power stone.The staff is just to expensive

Quote:
the staff of sourcery

Scroll caddy i think,maybe the sneaky staff of stealing

Quote:
24 night goblins 166pts

Lose the spears and grab nets

Quote:
30 orc boys 240pts

19 orc boys 163pts

Fill them both out to 25

Quote:
16 orc arrer boys 96pts

One unit of 20 would be enough with full command,but don't use them for there archers ,just use them like normal orc boyz.

Quote:
5 goblin spider riders 76pts
spears, shields, hand weapons, short bows and a musician

Fine

Quote:
3 squig herds 90pts
9 squigs and 6 handlers

15 is good,but if possable maybe 20

Quote:
5 orc boar boys 148pts

Can you make them savage orcs?

Quote:
orc boar chariot 80pts

2 snotling pump wagons 80pts

Fine

Could you get in one or two bolt throwers?

Any squig hoppers?

Don't see any problems with your list as is, so take everything i'v said with a bucket of salt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:51 am 

moved to warhammer section

Post subject: Re: orc list for southcon tournament
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:42 pm 

First up kudos for taking O&G to a tournament!

Re the list, to be honest you'll get annihilated with that in a tourney.
Problems are magic defense is poor, magic offense insufficient to get spells off to any effect, only one unit in the whole army has any combat punch (squigs), and lack of war machines (especially spear chukkas) leaves you with nothing to counter monsters and cav.

Warpy has made some good suggestions already, I'll just add my thoughts.

jebjeb wrote:
black orc warboss 248pts
lotsa choppas
shield
armour of gork
effigy of mork
guzzlas battle brew

Ditch the armour and Guzzla's. The T6 armour isn't enough to keep him safe and is overpriced, and the brew is a serious liability with the risk of stupidity and frenzy also being undesirable half the time.
I'd suggest: boar/heavy armour/enchanted shield for 1+ armour save, Akkrit Axe and Kickin' Boots.
As a rule always stick orc characters on boars, it's well worth it for the +2 to armour save and the S5 boar attack on the charge and you can take Martog's or the Sword of Might cheap enough to offset losing the bonuses of the 'Armed to da Teef' weapons.

Quote:
lotsa choppas
shield
heavy armour
ironback boar

Agree with Darren, drop the shield, make him a BSB and give him the Sword of Might. On a boar Orc Bosses need a magic weapon as you can't use 2 choppas and the great weapon is only +1 strength when mounted. O&G really benefit from having a BSB on the table.

Quote:
the staff of badduum

the staff of sourcery

This isn't going to give you enough PD to successfully get past opponents magic defense, so ends up just a load of points and character slots wasted. I've found it better to go all or nothing with magic as an in-between set up like this tends to do nothing really. I'd suggest either taking Mork's Spirit Totem on a BSB and a single L1 with 2 scrolls for a solid magic defense set-up, or make both your casters L2's and give the orc a power stone and scroll and the night goblin two magic mushrooms and a scroll.

Quote:
24 night goblins 166pts

25 night goblins 170pts
spears, sheilds, full command and 2 fanatics

30 orc boys 240pts

19 orc boys 163pts

16 orc arrer boys 96pts

16 orc arrer boys 96pts

OK, Night Goblins. Darren is spot-on about spears and netters.
HW/shield is more durable than spears and saves you points. I'd consider if you have the new-style NG models lopping off the spearheads and regluing them on as handweapons minus the shaft.
With NG units decide first-up if you want them to last the distance or just deliver fanatics and die usefully as fodder, then kit them accordingly. If you want them to last the distance, take standard bearer and musician, HW/shield and netters, and 30-strong minimum. Only take a Boss if you have a character in their to accept challenges for otherwise they're useless.
If you just want the unit to deliver fanatics then just take a musician and nothing else so you're not giving away VP for the banner.
With your two units I'd run one at 28 with netters and F/C (shaman goes here), and the other at 21 with musician only. Taking 21 means you need to suffer one extra wound before testing for panic.

Orcs. 30 is nice but 19 is too few. You're better running both units at 25.
Arrer boys have a bad rep as they're crap archers but I like 'em. Remember they're T4 orcs with choppas first, and archers second. :wink:
Two ways to run them effectively: Either as a small 'meatshield' unit of 12-14 to stick a shaman in so he can keep casting while staying clear of combat or to stay back and protect warmachines, or run them as a fully ranked unit of 20 or 25 with full command. As a fully ranked unit they are a third solid combat unit for you and the entire unit can shoot at stuff on hills and large targets which can be damn effective. You will have a LOT of large targets to face in Southcon too! If you run them as small separate units take a musician each.

Fast cavalry. Either spiders or wolves are superb units and useful for loads of roles whether warmaching hunting, baiting & fleeing, screening, redirecting etc. One unit isn't near enough, get a second unit at the very least.

Squig herd. Yep it'd be better if larger but will work OK as-is. Bung them on a flank and keep them the hell away from the rest of your army :lol:

Quote:
5 orc boar boys 148pts

Boar boys to be blunt are utter crap, the poorest special choice in the book. Savage orc ones are MUCH better as they can actually hit hard, but you will definitely need at least one more unit of fast cav if you take them to screen them from being baited due to frenzy. Either way they won't survive the game so I wouldn't take a banner, just a Boss and musician.

Chariot and pumpwagons are good units, no problems there.

You are really short-changing yourself by leaving a special slot and a rare slot empty - O&G really need those units. I would suggest taking 2 spear chukkas for the special slot - no greenskin army should leave home without at least 2, and a doom diver for the second rare. Against the big nasties you will face at Southcon you will absolutely be relying on both of these.

If you want a greenskin v greenskin game or two prior to Southcon let me know, I can run some of the stuff you don't have and you can see what works well and what doesn't.

Edited for typos