South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:14 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Constitution & AGM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 am 

As the new CWC Constitution will have to be approved by the Woolston Club Board of Management and the CWC Members at a separate Special General Meeting, of which several weeks Notice must be given, I suggest to the CWC Committee that the proposed date for the AGM be removed until the new Constitution is approved.

Also there is an Official CWC Committee Announcements Page on the Forum that must be used for Committee announcements so that CWC Members who do not use Facebook can be fully informed of the CWC activities.

viewforum.php?f=35

There is no CWC Members Only Facebook page for disseminating information to Members, there should be.

There has never been a CWC Committee so alienated from the Members as we have now. imo

Post subject: Re: New Constitution & AGM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:02 am 

Brian hardly anyone uses this forum anymore and it's basically just being kept for the ancients players to organise games now.
Frankly it should probably be shut down given the low use, unreliability of system its based on, and cost associated with it. And I'm saying that as someone who prefers it to Facebook.

Announcements are posted in the CWC facebook group and available via announcements, and they have been as timely and organised as that from previous CWC committees, perhaps more so. Click announcements and you will see them.

There is also no need to make the facebook group members only, - this forum is not members only!

"There has never been a CWC Committee so alienated from the Members as we have now. imo"
Are you sure this is not just you struggling with Facebook Brian?
Honestly this post sounds like someone complaining that we don't have a paper newsletter anymore!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:54 am 

Thanks for the reply Mark, good to get some discussion on the subject.
Quote:
Honestly this post sounds like someone complaining that we don't have a paper newsletter anymore!

lol, no, not me. I was a printer for 40 years so I have seen my fill of paper newsletters. :)

Quote:
Click announcements and you will see them.

ahhhhhhh now someone tells me how facebook works. I can never find anything on the facebook page re Club Notices, only Events.
So yes a little bit of a struggle there. I just do not like Facebook, there is no history.
If I want to see who won and what armies were used in a Club competition 5 years ago I can go & find it on the Forum.

My real reason for posting this is the legal ramifications surrounding this new Constitution and the AGM.
Surely the Constitution should be presented to the Club Members for a discussion & vote at a SGM before the AGM ?

The AGM would not be legal without the new Constitution.

The above is one reason that the Club's business should be for a Club Members only facebook page,
not for the whole world to gawk at and make stupid comments, do you not think ?

Keep the replies and comments rolling in please.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:40 pm 

I dont really care about the constitution. I dont think we need one. We just have to follow the rules of the Woolston Club. Discussions on rules and constitutions and SGMs are for those who want to engage in club politics. I've given that stuff up as it interferes with my wargaming and there are lots more important things to worry about.

I'm not sure if the committee is more alienated than any previous ones, I think the era just before we joined Woolston may get that prize. But i do know that whenever i go to the club there are lots of people gaming and painting and talking to their friends. So if that is alienation...we need more of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:09 pm 

"The above is one reason that the Club's business should be for a Club Members only facebook page,
not for the whole world to gawk at and make stupid comments, do you not think ?"

Brian you are posting this on a forum that the whole world can read, and it has always been that way, whereas only 300 people can see the club facebook page...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm 

awesum4 wrote:
I think the era just before we joined Woolston may get that prize.

Yes I remember well when the six of us went into the Woolston for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:23 am 

Brian, as one of those "6" who came over to Woolston and in fact the club Secretary at the time my understanding is that the club has no requirement to have a constitution anymore. It ceased being an incorporated society and became a section of the Woolston club which means it falls under Woolston's constitution. If you really feel that there needs to be a document of rules for the club just call it a set of guiding principles or whatever cool term you want to use. But there is no "legal" requirement (or sensible reason) for an AGM ratified constitution.

Cheers
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:25 am 

Hi Tim, Yes that was a great day in the Club's History thanks to Andre.
I could not remember exactly how many of us there were, Andre,Brent, a couple of young guys and us two was my guess.
Like you I thought the same re the rules that we, as a section, lived under plus some 'Section Rules' for running the Section.
The last AGM caused much anguish and the Woolston Management were called to sort it due to the fact that many rules on Meeting Procedure were not followed.
There was mention of a set of Section Rules, which I have been calling a 'Constitution' in error, and this was to be rewritten before the forthcoming AGM.
In fact it is being called a 'Constitution' as here is a quote from Mark, who is on the Committee,
Quote:
Falk has written pretty good revised constitution I think, just a few little bits of it being tweaked and discussed. I've just posted a question about final readiness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:22 am 

Yes it is being called a constitution, but that's semantics, you could equally call it club guidelines or something. The Woolston club doesn't care provided we continue to be good customers that adhere to club rules and don't cause headaches for them. Tim and Andre are right.

And yes there was a sub-committee of volunteers who have been working away on this constitution/club guidelines, the goal being to come up with something that the elected club committee can than choose to ratify. If you had this much interest in it you should have volunteered Brian, you're a bit late!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 am 

" I could not remember exactly how many of us there were, Andre,Brent, a couple of young guys and us two was my guess. "

Hey I'd prefer to called one of the young guys at the time thank you very much.

"The last AGM caused much anguish and the Woolston Management were called to sort it due to the fact that many rules on Meeting Procedure were not followed."

Brian now you're just sounding like Murray from Flight of the Conchords. Meeting procedure varies according to requirements and a non incorporated body does not require a fully itemised meeting. In many ways the current AGM meeting procedure is a hangover from the past and is no longer relevant. Sorry to disappoint you with that as I know you love a good AGM.

A meeting annually to discuss matters is a great idea but not when it gets bogged down in semantics, politics and bureaucracy that is unnecessary to successful gaming.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:43 pm 

Brian,

It's time to move on from the things that happened last year.
When I go to the club it's full of people enjoying their hobby.
The dire predictions of a complete takeover by people playing only one system are completely wrong, more systems are played than ever before.
The predictions of there not being enough room and people having to wait for tables have also been proved wrong. The club is busy but not overcrowded.
We dont need a constitution or meetings that spend hours discussing grievances of the past, points of order, and predictions of doom and gloom. We need a brief AGM to elect a committee, and then we can get back to playing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:28 am 

Well the Founder of CWC Woolston has Spoken.
I'll return to my cheese on toast.