South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:43 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a D&D 5E group in Christchurch?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:23 pm 

Hello.

Me and one of my mates are looking at getting back into D&D (we used to play in the 90's at high school) and are buying all of the 5th edition books and adventures as they are released.

I live in Charteris Bay near Christchurch and my friend will be living in Ashburton hopefully by the end of the year.

As there are only two of us, we were wondering if there are any D&D groups out there that would take us in? Or even if there are a couple of people like us; used to play and are looking at getting back into it, we could start up on our own?

We are both 37 and would consider ourselves pretty relaxed D&D players, but can happily while away a whole afternoon or evening rolling dice. Both of us are happy to do DMing. I really like battlemaps and miniatures and have been getting to grips with using Campaign Cartographer 3 to make maps, so although 5E has done away with battlemaps a bit, I would still be keen to include them for any DMing I would do. Just helps set the scene a bit I reckon.

I'll try to attach a couple of my creations which will hopefully get better as my skills grow...

So I would be keen for fairly regular sessions, once every 2-3 weeks or something, but could work in with whatever goes. Sounds doable?

Anybody keen, please let me know!

Attachment:
SOW01 - Pub Fight [1600x1200] (Custom).JPG

Attachment:
Tower of Maraj 4 [1600x1200] (Medium).JPG

Attachment:
Goblin Caves3 [1600x1200] (Medium).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a D&D 5E group in Christchurch?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:32 pm 

WoW really nice work there bro

My Group( playing Pathfinder and CoC) is full at the moment, but i will be sure to keep you in mind if a space becomes free.

I would maybe check in at Comic Compulsion too and ask around there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:00 am 

A good place to look might be SAGA, the gaming club at Canterbury University. I don't know if you have to be a student to be a member of the club, you certainly don't to go along to their events.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:52 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys. Warpmaster, yup please let me know if space(s) free up and especially if you end up dabbling in 5E :D

Thanks Peter for that link, I did not know there was a gaming club like that here in Christchurch, hopefully they cater for D&D and people who finished off their uni career about 15 years ago! I shall make some enquiries.

I'll ring up Comics Compulsion too, just on the off chance they are thinking about running some D&D Encounters or an Adventurer's League thing to stir up a bit of interest in 5E.

Cheers
Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:44 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Warpmaster, yup please let me know if space(s) free up and especially if you end up dabbling in 5E :D

I pre ordered everything mate :lol: .I really love the look of 5E

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:41 am 

Warpmaster wrote:
Quote:

I pre ordered everything mate :lol: .I really love the look of 5E

Likewise. I really didn't think much of 5e on first acquaintance, but after buying the Starter Set and running the pre-gen characters through the first bit of Lost Mine of Phandelver I was hooked, and now I've pre-ordered everything. I really think it's the best iteration of D&D since BX.

No doubt it will end up massively bloated once the stream of splatbooks start emerging, but for the moment it will do me just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:35 am 

Yep, I pre-ordered em all too. Bit of a rash move considering we had not really played any D&D for donkey's years. Have had me head buried in the players guide and reckon it's money well spent. Roll on the monster manual I say.

I soaked up a few hours over the weekend trying to get my head around character creation. I think I whipped up a Forest Gnome Rogue without making too many mistakes.

Spent the most time mucking around with a form fillable version of the official character sheet. Someone did the hard work on making the official character sheet form fillable ( http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloa ... oadid=1057 ), I just changed the font, some of the font sizing and reordered how the tabbing works to hopefully make it a bit more in sync with the order in which you are generating info about the character. In a day or so I could post it here once I check it all works nicely.