South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:33 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White Scars Death Star
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 pm 

So looking through the new Marine dex I couldn't help but notice an interesting death star combo. It can be set up with a variety of different weapon options depending on what you want to do but bellow is what I'm going to try out.

Chapter Master with Artificer Armour, Storm Sheild, Burning Blade, Bike

Kor'sarro Kahn on Moondrakken

Command Squad with Apothacary, 4 Storm Sheilds, 4 Grav Guns, 3 Lightening Claws, Thunder Hammer, Bikes, Standard of the Emperor Ascendant

2 x Techmarine with bike, Full Servo Harness, Grav Gun

Put all this in one big blob and you have a scouting bike blob with 14 toughness 5 wounds with furiuos charge, hit & run, strength 5 impact hits, +1 to jink saves, 5 x 3++ saves, 3 x 2+ armor saves, feel no pain, 18 grav gun shots, a ton of ap1, ap2 & ap3 close combat weapons, hatred and the list goes on.

Its basically 1000pts depending on exact config but with the reduction in points elsewhere I can still field 3-4 troops and 1 or two other units at 2000pts which is my normal home game level.
You also still have the option of spitting the IC's up into your other units against opponents where the death star isn't going to work.

I'm going to play test this on some poor helpless noob some stage later this week - details on how it preforms will be sure to follow.
I'm especially interestied to see how the massed grav guns preform, might try and slip in an auspex to debuff cover saves which will increase the grav guns effectiveness too.

Post subject: Re: White Scars Death Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:43 am 

Location: Up in sunny Dorkland, thinking wistfully of the noobs I left behind.
It's certainly horrendous! You're a bad man. Playtest it on Chris frequently and without mercy.

I guess as with all death stars, the main issue is that if you come across something that can neutralise it (admittedly I'm having a hard time thinking what that might be) then half your army suddenly becomes ineffective. On the surface of it though, the only way to realistically take that thing out of the game (tarpitting) is neutered by Hit & Run, so I look forward to hearing how it goes :D

Your only challenge I think will be contriving to get 1000 pts back for it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 am 

it's a pretty fast deathstar, but it's still pretty vulnerable to shooting. sure, you'll try and tank with the 2+/3++/FNP characters but clever placement of shooting will strip away some of the ablative wounds. mobile shooting (the ever popular eldar for example) will be an ugly match up.

i think hoard armies will love it, since while it's tough they can absorb a hit, you'll hit and run back, and re-charge but if the hoard is fearless/unlikely to break (guard blobs, demons, ork mobs, gaunt swarms) then the death star will just swing back and forth vs one mob for several turns until the mob dies or (more likely) the death star depletes itself on the endless hoard (and grav guns HATE orks and nids, while i'm not even sure they can wound demons)

elite armies are ****. they don't have the sacrificial units to hold it up the way hoards do, and can't run the way eldar/DE can.

so it's nasty but i wonder how nasty it'll be.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:09 pm 

Sounds to me like Wes is offering to be your first poor helpless noob Shane ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm 

Ally in DA and put Samauel with them then have skilled rider to stack with there +1 jink save. It would also add a character with Eternal Warrior, Plasma Cannon and a AP2 sword.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:38 pm 

kamerryn wrote:
Sounds to me like Wes is offering to be your first poor helpless noob Shane ;)

I fancy my odds with either DE or Orks (or even with the eldar bits i have as allies) if i was running marines i would be more concerned.

I'm playing Karn this week, but if you want a piece of me next week, Shane, just name your pts value :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm 

OOOOOH it on like Donkey Kong.

Although let's be honest; you're both noobs and if either of you somehow contrive to win it will be nothing short of a miracle :P

Ahhh nothing like flaming the TO of the next event you're likely to attend ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:42 pm 

If there are only 2 players in a game, i'm pretty sure we're unlikely to both lose :wink:

but i really am keen. i need to play more people, that new dex (as a TO it's nice to know how the new toys work), and it would be good to test out just how horrible this thing is

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:59 pm 

Lol,
It sounds like Cam wants us to duke it out Wes.
I've been meaning to join up with Cav's so next time you've got a Thursday with no game let me know and I'll bring it, unless of coarse you don't think your man enough.

I've been trying to figure out a reliable way to get invisability into the mix, Tigarius in a drop pod with some sterngaurd seems a pretty safe bet but I might have to drop some points out of the unit to fit space smurf allies? Looking at it though the command squad probably doesn't all need to be weilding power weapons and that would provide some expendable bodies to look out sir the st10 ap1/2 wounds onto as well.

Chris and I are going to have a game Saturday, unfortunitely he's onto my plan so I can't surprise him with it. I still think I might need to wear a box because a kick to my privates is likely by the sounds of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm 

I'm very keen.

I don't have a game next week, so if you want a game next thursday, i'm all for it.

2k is it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 pm 

Sounds like its on!
What time do you guys kick off down there?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:45 pm 

I'm usually there from around 6:30~7pm

now to go and tweak my TagCon list, because Karn is looking for revenge and my mouth has written a pretty big cheque i've got to cash :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:08 pm 

So I got a game in with the death star, It performed pretty well.

The death star managed to kill a squad of 6 nurgle bikers, 2 obliterators, a land raider, a squad of 8 Khorne bezerkers, had a hand in killing a squad of cultists and was very unlucky to have not killed Karn the Betrayer - I don't want to talk about that :cry:

I can say I'm a huge fan of the new grav guns, those things just erased the nurgle bikes and obliterators. They didn't do so well against the land raider but I rolled bellow par. Still they killed it on their second attempt and then charged and killed the bezerkers that were forced to get out.

It is a lot of points in the one basket though and it will drop to weight of fire. If I drop the 2 Techmarines it'll give me enough points for a whole landspeeder squadron or a second storm talon and a thunderfire

Might try the revised version on Wes this Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:30 pm 

Quote:
The death star managed to kill a squad of 6 nurgle bikers, 2 obliterators, a land raider, a squad of 8 Khorne bezerkers, had a hand in killing a squad of cultists and was very unlucky to have not killed Karn the Betrayer - I don't want to talk about that

Wow, so it would have come pretty close to paying for itself? Don't have the SM or CSM dexes in front of me to do the maths but that sounds like a pretty straight swap, and mostly pretty significant stuff too. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:28 pm 

I've had death stars go both ways:

- wreck 2/3 of an opposing army
- get stranded away from the play after killing 5 T2 models

i'm curious to see how resilient they are. it's such a low model count, and relying on such moderate saves (most of the unit is 3+, and since you've given them all Storm Shields, it'll always be 3+ so no one will bother with anything other than lots of shots rather than hoping to sneak a lascannon through) that i really want to test those dice of yours :lol:

also curious to see what GW says about gravguns vs vehicles and cover saves. i can see a couple of different arguments but having tried to predict GW in the past, i'm not so sure i can figure out which way they'll go.