South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:14 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stronghold book
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:45 pm 

As a TO I'm wondering of peoples opinions on the Stronghold book. Pro and cons. Please be as broad minded as possible

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Stronghold book
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:48 pm 

I like it.

It fixes the question about where the quad-gun needs to be in relation to the aegis line and adds some more potential variety to what fortifications are available.

Depending on how you run fortifications at events (moving terrain, ignoring the 3" rule), means that a few of the larger pieces and fortification groups will have problems. Also the aquilia with 15" blast weapons and D weapons are a bit OTT unless combined with Escalation.

If the fortress of redemption and Aquila stronghold variants where removed at TO's discretion and the fortification groups where limited either by limiting the number of items bought for the group or how fortifications could be placed, the book is fine.

Post subject: Re: Stronghold book
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 pm 

Yes I like the rules clarifications and updates.

One very interesting change is exiting a building does not prevent a charge under the Stronghold rules unlike exiting a vehicle does, so bastions placed near home objectives could be very useful now.
I also like the updated sky shield actually working as a landing pad on top of it's existing rules.

I believe the void shield generators are probably a bit over the top at standard tournament point levels, although I think they will be fine at much larger points values.
And yes I feel a couple of the larger fortifications need to be kept out of tournament play but over all this book adds more to the game than it breaks.

Unfortunately we are all going to have to buy a copy for the rules if we are going to allow it at tournaments.

Oh, and as Mr Smurf said, you'll need some restrictions on the upgrades because that can get out of control quick.