South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:32 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Knights
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 pm 

So given that there is a knight codex coming, how are people feeling about the possibility of facing a full army of them?

How would one ally in an Imperial navy fighter like a thunderbolt or lightning? Is that legal in regular games? I was thinking 4 knights and some sort of air support would be a really cool army to model. Crazy expensive to buy though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:03 am 

Since Super heavies and D weapons are still give a raw feeling in most gaming groups, you will be hard pressed to find people who will let you play the full knight list. However like most things, give it a while (and an actual chance to read the book, rather than going on hearsay) and eventually it will be incorporated into normal play.

For air support you will need to take Imperial guard as your ally slot. This will give you access to 1 of the imperial planes (Thunderbolt, lightning, Avenger).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am 

Thier only stD in combat. Most people will have no issue with that since combat is rarely as effective as shooting these days
+ it will scare those stupid broken 2++ re-roll screamer stars
5 Paladins = 1850...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:12 pm 

I think the only reason they're an issue is that they're immune to ~70% of the weapons in the game (AV13) and have 6 hull pts. it means they'll most likely make CC and between their D weapon and stomp, kick a lot of ass once they get there.

in time, james is right, people will start taking enough anti-tank to cope with 1~2. a whole army? maybe worthwhile, but very rock/paper/scissors. they'll win big if people don't have enough anti-tank and lose big if they do. dunno how much fun they'll be though. Ask people how much fun it is to play Chris' Imperial Armoured Company. It's about the same thing really.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 pm 

Yeah i'm not sure it'd be fun to play against an army of them. I'd take two at most, as part of themed mechanicus force, but more likely i'll just stick to one.

It's going to be interesting to see what GW brings out over the next year. I'm hoping this is a sign the Mechanicus will be getting some more attention.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:32 pm 

Wes wrote:
I think the only reason they're an issue is that they're immune to ~70% of the weapons in the game (AV13) and have 6 hull pts. it means they'll most likely make CC and between their D weapon and stomp, kick a lot of ass once they get there.

in time, james is right, people will start taking enough anti-tank to cope with 1~2. a whole army? maybe worthwhile, but very rock/paper/scissors. they'll win big if people don't have enough anti-tank and lose big if they do. dunno how much fun they'll be though. Ask people how much fun it is to play Chris' Imperial Armoured Company. It's about the same thing really.

And necrons can take and entire AV13 army
and Marines
and etc
You can even take multiple hull points off them from a single shot. With the proliferation of lance & melta weapons in the game this is no big deal

At any rate an army made up of just Knights is 100% legal codex build, so you will see it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:45 pm 

Yes we will se it at events that allow them but tbh you would be a **** to field an army of them. They will be a great model to play with and make look amazing. I look forward to seeing them at the club.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 am 

They are an awesome model no doubt there and I will get one or two but I dont like where this is going. Knights are still a super heavy and open the door to all the other 40K approved super heavies. I have 5 superheavy models and put them on the board and walk over your army 9 times out of 10. Am I good player ? no I simply have $800-$1000 dollars for my knights models and an SUV to carry them around.

Have you read the battle reports from super heavy permitted tournies? A large part of the game is determined in the first 2 turns as and when one players loses a significant number (1-2) of his heavies.

The more dice you roll in a game the more random any given outcome will be and the more likely that a good general/list will prevail because they can influence the random outcome with good decisions.

I enjoy dealing with multiple models and a variety of units and enjoy overcoming the twists and turns in game. With a just a few models on the board the outcome is more likely to be fixed and will seldom change once several key models are removed.

I dont want to appear a grinch because I do like the models and will probably enjoy playing them but will they affect the game itself when the outcome is reduced to "look my models are alive still and I will win"

I will enjoy the models and am looking at Blood Angels and Bikers with their abundance of melta and wonder how Grav affects these beasts. Scarabs can't hurt them but Gauss lists will make these guys cry, Haywire?. Finally something for a maulerfiend to chew on, so it will be somewhat balanced I hope. To pull a couple of these guys out at a casual game and play them would be damn rude they do need a hard counter and not everyone will have that in their back pocket.
Eldar have instant death autopen D weapons too don't they? Tank hunter with re-rolls will be pretty valuable who has lots of that? Looking at Tau dataslates.

When I think about it this release will likley prompt a very quick FAQ from GW on Grav guns

Should I get a revenant Titan to go with my Wraithknights/Tau/Knights and crush the poor ? (rhetorical question qualification)

Last edited by Shaun on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:40 am 

I think a number of basic rule FAQs are instead going to bundled into the "6.5" Ed release around May (or is it June? i don't keep the best track of rumours) so hopefully things like Gravguns and the FAQ versions of Look Out Sir! and Ranged Wound allocation will be there to help sort out issues once and for all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:16 am 

Wes wrote:
I think a number of basic rule FAQs are instead going to bundled into the "6.5" Ed release around May (or is it June? i don't keep the best track of rumours) so hopefully things like Gravguns and the FAQ versions of Look Out Sir! and Ranged Wound allocation will be there to help sort out issues once and for all.

Would a simple well thought out FAQ/Errata address these issues with less fallout?

You reckon GW are doing V 6.5 ? is BRB V 6 is so stuffed that GW

a) Care even? does the model making company care about game rules and want to fix them
b) Will send all current BRB's to the recycle bin, pissing a significant number of customers off, perhaps to drop out of 40K
c) Have the financial balls to try it, if money was blood GW are in the middle of an intense self harm Khorne ritual

On reflection GW need to bring and bind all the new units and books now required as approved for 40K into one book
I dont think you will see that, I would happy to be wrong though.

In my short memory you once just needed your AoBR booklet and a codex to play, now it is up to 3 or 4 codexes and a BRB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 am 

Lots of pro and cons to an update to the rules. Here's an example of the various rumours

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/01/ ... k-and.html

nothing concrete of course, but generally, when enough different sources suggest something is coming, it is. the rules leaked before hand however are seldom too accurate (until the release is almost upon us)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:28 pm 

If I recall correct the 7th/6.5 rumor came from the 40k radio crew which have a 100% strike rate on rumors coming true so I'd say it's fairly solid.

As for the knights, these things look amazing but for their points I'm not even sure they will be that good.
They effectively have one shooting attack which can't hit fliers. They move 12 which is good so you'd expect they will get to use their 4 strength D attacks on the charge at least once per game but that's like two models killed on average before stomp attacks. I really don't see a problem with them.
Has anyone actually managed to get a game in with one yet? I know there are a couple floating around that are assembled now.

These things are going to shake up the meta for sure but I actually like that, it keeps things interesting. I can't wait to get my hands on one to paint but if they are going to be iffy on being used at tournaments then I'm not sure I can justify the price tag. Think I'll hold off until the community has decided whether to accept them or not first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:43 pm 

D weapons inflict between 1+d3 and 1+d6 wounds, so they'll make a mess of a smaller squad before the stomp attack arrive

That they ignore all results except explodes (which just does an additional d3 HP) will make them painful to deal with but i expect we'll be seeing a lot of lists w/ more melta and fast moving transport options just in case.

More than anything, if there's another rule set on the way, then i don't know what anything will be doing by the time Conquest roles around. it's hard to predict the future.

I'd like to keep Knights in the game, but i just don't see 3~5 (or whatever a legal list is) being any damn fun for anyone at all

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:16 pm 

So Wes, getting in early. What must I bribe you to let me use 2 knights, a warhound and some guardsmen at Conquest? :p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:53 am 

Has anybody built one yet? if so could you please let us know how it goes together. When I get one I want to light the head/eyes and the Flamer type weapon. Will the caripice armour sit on the model so its I can put a battery inside it's body or will I need to raise the base?

Cheers for any advice