South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carnage 28th and 29th June
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:26 pm 

Hi everyone that reads the SIW forum. Carnage is an event at Woolston that is typically for Warhammer Fantasy players but am just putting feelers out there for the possibility of a small Kill Team engagement tournament for 40K on these dates. There will be some celebration/upheaval caused by the update to 40K and this event gives us the chance to try the new edition in small scale mode with lots of different people in short sharp games that takes us back to the basics. People that only have a few models would be encouraged to give it a go.

I am tryng to remember the rules for Kill Team but it was something like: 200 points per player, forces selected from a single dex and played on a 4'x4' table.
Selected force can be composed of units from elites, troops, fast attack and heavy support slots. All models can ignore coherency and act like ICs except 1)they don't join each other 2) are not allowed to have 2+ saves.
Vehicles, except for flyers, can be taken so long as the total value of all armour facings is less than 33.
There is probably more stuff that I need to remember from my Kill Team game today, but anyway, would this tickle the fancy of any of you? If the response is positive, I will go ahead with a proposal for our next committee meeting at the Woolston club.

Post subject: Re: Carnage 28th and 29th June
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:44 am 

Given how relatively short a kill team game is, is this going to be a one day event w/ ~6 games or a two day event with ~12? a single day event i could see finding the time for, though the appeal of playing so many different people is interesting (though draining)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:59 pm 

Hey Wes, I think the original "plan" was for a one day event. Those awesome corridors you made would be fantastic to borrow if it goes ahead!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 pm 

I'd be happy to lend out the corridors if you end up running it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:40 pm 

So I am going to go with a 500 point battle-forged+unbound dual list thing. I was at Toyworld recently and I saw 3 gamers pick up 7th ed rules that I have never seen appear at either game club/tournament. There must be quite a big homegroup community out there, too. I want to make something small to encourage those types to come out and play in a quick round robin day of action! Players will get a chance to play both lists-blah blah, have posted all this in "other SI events."
Given that the points are capped so small though, I reckon a smaller table would be more feasible, like 4ft x 4ft? Whaddya reckon?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:51 pm 

4' by 4' tables seem like a good idea at 500 pts

how many games per list?

i was talking to the folks at Comics ages ago and they reckoned that the people who wargame at the clubs at something like a quarter of the gamers in the city. i can think of several people who just appeared at Conquest that i'd never met or seen before but were local. The trick it making contact with them, because so few of them know about/bother to use the forums

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:57 pm 

Cheers for the reply Wes! Agreed on the 4' x 4' plan. The limited space is way better for tactical objective smash and grab games.
I have put out a few of those pamphlets I made in Toyworld as well and we had a few newbies show up at Woolston on Sunday, which is GREAT. I might swing by comics, too and drop a few leaflets off.

I am hopeful that we can squeeze 5 games into the day, 2 featuring unbound lists, 2 featuring battleforged lists and a final game of you and your opponent's choice. The success of your battle-forged list might mean you'll elect to run that over your unbound list in your final game, or vice versa.

So far I've tried 3 games and none have taken longer than an hour to complete. Running an unbound reaver jetbike army was very cool but also high risk/return glass hammer, too. The randomness of the objectives can totally swing a game.

The full rundown is in the "other South Island events" page under "Carnage 40K".