South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exodite list and counts as choices. Thoughts?
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:18 pm 

Since I completely failed to get an army ready for Conquest last year, I thought I'd start a bit earlier and complete my exodite army for this years event. Since I am spending a great deal of time and money assembling this army, I wanted to get peoples thoughts on my list. I am primarily going by the models I want to build and what best counts as eldar units.

I am using new lizardmen plastics combined with Eldar, Dark Eldar and all sorts of Fantasy Elf parts to build the models, as well as a lot of sculpting.

Carnosaur as an Avatar: It's large, hits hard but isn't overly tough (like a wraithlord is) and has a tough scaly hide. Wailing doom shooting attack is represented by an Exodite Rider with Fusion gun.

Terradons as Baron Sathonyx and Hellions: I chose these over Eldar jetbikes as having cold ones and terradons both represent jetbikes might get a little confusing. I feel like the jump infantry status better suits how the exodite riders would use thier skill and psychic connection to the Terradon/Pterasaur to weave around terrain and make best use of cover before launching a strike (Hammer of wrath attack).

Cold ones with Exodite riders as Shining Spears (appropriately converted with lances and shuriken catapults): Pretty standard counts as choice. They are fast moving and would be naturally good at moving through terrain thus going some way to explain them counting as jetbikes. I plan not to turbo boost as that seems a little wrong.

Bastiladons/Stegadon with Weapon Platforms as Wraithlords: Tough monstrous creature that's reasonably slow. Fits pretty well.

What do you think of those choices? If you were to go up against the army would these counts as choices make sense?

Farseer (Exodite Worldsinger)
Jetbike
Singing Spear
Runes of Witnessing

Avatar (Exodite Chieftain on Carnosaur)
Crushing Blow

Baron Sathonyx (Exodite Pterasaur Rider Chieftain)

Warlock (Exodite Spiritsinger)

10 Guardians (Exodite Warriors)
Shuriken Cannon

10 Storm Guardians (Exodite Warriors)
Flamer x2

6 Rangers

Wave Serpent (Exodite Skiff)
Cannon upgrade
Twin Scatter Laser

5 Hellions (Exodite Pterasaur Riders)

5 Shining Spears (Exodite Dragon Knights)
Exarch upgrade
Hit and Run
Star Lance

5 Shining Spears (Exodite Dragon Knights)
Exarch upgrade
Hit and Run
Star Lance

Wraithlord (Bastiladon with Weapon Platform)
Scatter Laser/ Star Cannon/ Bright Lance

Wraithlord (Stegadon with Weapon Platform)

Wraithknight (Exodite Knight)

Total: 1847

Last edited by Inquisitor Earl on Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Exodite list and counts as choices. Thoughts?
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:04 pm 

I'm sorry I can't comment on the composition as I wouldn't have a clue I'm afraid. However it sounds like an awesome and ambitious project. Looking forward to seeing some pictures mate. Bet it will be inspiring

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 pm 

Like the Helions and the Carnosaur as Avatar idea. Shining Spears as Cold Ones are a little difficult to relate but there are no better options that I can see, Steg and Bastiladon are the ones I struggle with most. I can't see a model for size comparison but they seem a little big for a War Walker. I would definitely put them more in the Wraithlord camp just because of their bulk. I can't think of anything GW that would fit a War Walker as I would imagine them as a more slender Dinosauresque creature such as a Raptor of some kind or an Ornithomimosaur.

Knowing your modelling and painting skills though I really don't think anyone's gonna care too much about what each model 'counts as'. They'll be too caught up in the awesomeness that is Elvish Dinosaurs so I'd say just run with whatever you like.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:21 pm 

Hey mate I still have no idea army-wise but tackeldummy saying more slender dinosaurs...Im not sure it would work or if you are interested in non gw models but you could look for the TAMIYA velociraptor set. You use to get 6 in a box. Think they were 1/35th scale but would be about the right size to be ridden by GW figures Not sure if they are still around. Can't wait to see pictures of your army.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:15 pm 

The bulk of the stegadon and bastilidons fits on a 60mm base not including heads and tails. I can definitely see them as wraithlords. I can fit two in the list with the wraithknight and maybe add another in bigger games with a second detachment. The combination of the shining spears, wraithlords and avatar hitting at once is the kind of cinematic thing i want to try and go for.

I can see a more agile dinosaur with a single rider and weapons pod as a war walker. Bigger than a cold one of course. Will have to look at possible models.

I'll have to look into the tamiya dinosaurs. I think i've exhausted what GW makes as i dont want dragons or monsters like some people have used to make exodites. I'm looking at the new dread saurian wondering if there is anything i could use it as. Such a cool model.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ffBN8Fdt2Bg/U ... 13+WIP.jpg

I'm just about at the point where i can start showing things. I will put up a link to my blog when i do an update.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 pm 

Guy at the GW St Lukes here in Dorkland is already painting up one of the new Wood Elf Treeman (with sword) as an Avatar

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:19 pm 

I'm using the new wood elf rangers as a basis for my storm guardians. The treeman is nice but i prefer the eldar/dinosaur aesthetic, not wood elves in space. There would be many varied styles of exodite I reckon. I'm not just gluing eldar stuff onto lizardmen models like some out there have. Every model will have bits trimmed, armour resculpted and new bits added.

Edited my list to fit the wraithlords and made a few adjustments. I'm pretty happy with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:31 pm 

This is going to look unique and very, very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:01 pm 

I've got an idea to use two hobbit Great Eagles on one big flyer base as a counts-as Crimson Hunter. Converted with exodite riders and gun pods of course. Anyone have any objections to this? The finished piece would likely take up more space than a crimson hunter model so im not modelling for advantage. Ideally i'd love to run them as individual flying monstrous creatures but there aren't any options for that in the eldar codex.

I suppose the next best option would be running them as individual vypers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:36 pm 

So long as they're up as high as the plane, i can't reasons locals would object. Locally, id say, we're way more interested and impressed with the effort behind conversions then we are worried about wins and losses, and the whole internet boogie-man of modelling for advantage (i've seen a single example locally, and even that was denied up and down as being done for in-game effect)