South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:12 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015 Escalation League (Christchurch)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:20 pm 

Hey guys,
I'm interested in running a 40k escalation league in 2015 in Christchurch and I'm asking for expressions of interest.

I've made a 1-page outline to communicate some basic structure. It would become a lager document before we started - but has been kept brief for the purpose of gaging interest. Click here for the link.

The primary platform for the league would be a facebook group created for the league - where people can post and discuss their progress and painting.
Other points for discussion:

Restrictions - I would be keen on running it with no restrictions. The primary purpose of this exercise would be to provide a channel of communication to share the experience of constructing a 40k army :)

Scenarios - I am intending to provide two scenarios for each time period, these would be completely optional (and, depending on submissions, crowd sourced).

Post subject: Re: 2015 Escalation League (Christchurch)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 pm 

Every year I promise myself I'll stop driving myself mad starting new armies and focus on expanding the one's I already have.
So put me down for a probably. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 pm 

Hah, excellent! Its only been an afternoon and I've had a pretty positive response, although so far through facebook PM's and texts rather than here (yet!).

So it looks like this thing is a go! I'll be starting up a facebook group at the start of December so that we can get things rolling for a January start. It will be pretty relaxed and open for people who just want to view the pics and chat.

In the mean time contact me if you have questions/suggestions/interest do this by:
Posting here
Emailing me at kjgibson@hotmail.co.nz
Texting me on 0224315671

So far I have received a few requests and had a few discussions about having some force composition restrictions for the lower point levels. Let me know if you have thoughts on this!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am 

Two things to update people on, timeline and potential restrictions:

Potential restrictions
Potential restrictions for the lower points level are being discussed. As per the timeline discussed below these will be finalised by the end of this month (November). I would like all input, discussion, and votes on this subject. The final rules used will be taken on votes, so make yourself heard!
If you would like to vote publicly simply post here, otherwise email me on kjgibson@hotmail.co.nz (these votes will be kept secret).

The three potential votes you can cast are as follows (with a brief summary of the reasoning I've heard so far):

I vote for a force organisation chart based set of restrictions as themed on the 'traditional' 40k style - It's important I have fun in my games and I don't want people building silly armies that I have to then ask not to face (which makes me look rude when all I want to do is have a fair game)
what this would look like can be found by clicking here

I vote for no restrictions - After all, the main point of this is to facilitate people building armies, and it should be up to them what they want to buy and paint! Plus, this is a fun league and I trust people to consider both our enjoyment when they are building their armies

I vote for a different type of restriction - If possible, please post here or email me what this would like like (you can vote for this option without sharing your vision if you like :)

Timeline
Ok guys, further discussion has taken place and it will be running with the timeline as in the document linked in the opening post of this thread. Here are some further clarifications on the timeline:

December = finalised 'rules'/structure is posted up (in this thread)
December = members are accumulated*into a facebook group (and people begin painting/assembling armies)
January = initial members still being added*, people continuing to paint/assemble their first point value, first games start taking place
Febuary = league goes into full swing and the first set of games are sorted, and results brought in at the end of Feb
Febuary and beyond = points value steps up monthly and game results / painting progress scores are brought in at the end of every month

*It is intended that membership to the facebook group will remain open throughout (participation in the league aspect may close after January)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:28 pm 

I'd be keen to play but simply don't have the time to start a new army. Could I enter my current army with the aim of getting a few new units painted up and maybe forgo the painting scores? Happy to lose out in points as long as I get the chance to be involved.

Quote:
It's important I have fun in my games and I don't want people building silly armies that I have to then ask not to face (which makes me look rude when all I want to do is have a fair game)

Just on a side note. I would hate it if we imposed restrictions on people just for the sake of those who are afraid to speak their mind. I totally agree that people shouldn't have to face terrible armies in a non-tournament environment if it ruins their fun of the game but at the same time people should never be ashamed to politely say to someone "Sorry mate I'd rather not play you with the armies you bring. You play 'tournament build' armies and that's great that you enjoy gaming that way, but for me it sucks the fun out of the game".

It's probably worth pointing out that I'm a fluff player rather than power gamer so I'm not trying to stand up for the power gamers, rather I would just hope that of we place restrictions on what people can bring it's not for the sake of saving someone the small discomfort of being politely honest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:45 pm 

Are there going to be restrictions on 2+ saves etc for the low point games? I'm just trying to work out if I can do this (ie, what's painted/assembled vs what I have to get done)

Also, is there a facebook group set up at the moment or is that in progress?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:07 am 

Hey mate. Sounds cool. Ive been hoping for something like this for ages. Im pretty keen although time can be a problem for me as I have young children. Can I say Im in at this stage?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:04 am 

Facebook group has been created, search Christchurch 40k on facebook to join :).

As far as the other stuff goes:

Inclusion will be the focus - no problems with people joining in with existing armies and using this as an opportunity to paint them up and/or add new units :).

Still early days as far as the discussion goes, but currently it looks like the votes are pointing towards no restrictions - but taking care when matching people up (not placing people against armies they can't hurt). However, there is still plenty of time for people to chuck their votes and/or opinions in!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:21 pm 

Be quite keen to join :D happy to follow whatever rules and restrictions because my main reason is to paint models and get to use them and have fun :D

Just one question out of curiosity: Would we use the new 40k rules? (I've got them and the previous as well so happy to go either way :D )

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:58 pm 

i could be keen,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:49 pm 

Just wondering if having zero gaming experience is a problem?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:54 pm 

Will indeed be the 7th edition ruleset :).
No previous experience required, new players very much encouraged!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:41 pm 

I'm in, but may have some ineteresting times getting games in with regards to my dumb rotating shift work roster lol. I need a good excuse to start a new army and this seems as good as any lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:23 pm 

Evil Yak wrote:
I'm in, but may have some ineteresting times getting games in with regards to my dumb rotating shift work roster lol. I need a good excuse to start a new army and this seems as good as any lol

Mint! Glad it's not just me. Stoooopid shift work

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 am 

Hey anybody in the know, Whats my best option for a current rule book, the small hard cover book thats about $95 on the GW site of the bigger 3 volume book thats about $135 on Mighty ape? Im going to get the current ork book first anyway as that's who Im going to build army wise.

Cheers all