South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:04 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veer-Myn 40k Army.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:25 pm 

Hi everybody.

I'm new to the Wargaming Club and I'm thinking about collecting a 40k army. However, the high price point of GW figures has put me off as for a standard packet ($65) I could expect to be waiting about six months of saving and for various reasons, E-bay is not an option. I have been thinking about an army of Veer-Myn (from Mantic Games) as an army of Hrud http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hrud (they seem the closest style match). I would use the Death Korps of Krieg army list from Forgeworld to represent them, since I already have the 5th Ed. Imperial Guard Codex it requires and it seems more Rats in Space than the normal IG. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/k/kreig.pdf

The figures are about standard IG height and some have weapons which could be used as Plasma and Melta weapons as necessary.
Engineers.
Variety for the Engineers Squad.
Quartermaster and servitors (one of them would be converted to a Commissar to make the army 500pts with my initial purchase).

For a slightly less left or field option, I could also do a Forgeworld Dread Mob army list using the Mantic Marauders figures.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/d/Dred_Mob.pdf

For the Spanna Boyz (they look a bit more cerebral than the normal Boyz so I think they'd be good).
And the Deff Dread (It has a 60mm round base, I hope that is the right size for a Deff Dread).
And a looted wagon perhaps (it has missile launchers so those seem the most likely).

Would either of these substitutes be acceptable for casual play (I don't intend on doing any tournaments till I know what I am doing.

Sorry about the size of this post and thanks in advance.

Mr. E

Post subject: Re: Veer-Myn 40k Army.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 pm 

The rat figures are neat. And they certainly look the part.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:16 am 

Fantasic eye candy well done

image hosting site

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:53 pm 

Hi everybody.

Thank you for your kind comments (although I must admit that I did not paint those figures, before anybody gets the wrong idea about my limited painting skills). I am glad people wouldn't mind if I did make the Hrud army, I shall have to think more carefully about this now (I didn't think I would get a response before).

Would some people be prepared to play some 500pts games to help a newbie like me learn the ropes (I can't make Cav's unfortunately, Woolston club only).

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Mr. E

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:05 pm 

Yep, I go to Woolston regularly Mr E. My name is Nick and I'd be happy to help. The club opens at 10am and finishes at 5pm on Sundays. If you want to try the rules and need proxy models let me know! I will be at the club from 10 on Sunday 29th. It also
co-incides with the AGM, so for an hour or so, gaming will be on hold.

Last edited by DEfan on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:49 am 

Hello Nick.

That sounds great, I would be very interested in trying out the rules of the Death Korps and seeing whether my army will work (I am planning to field a massed death from below tunnelling army, so testing that that idea is practical would be great!). I will need to proxy models unfortunately as I have yet to purchase any Hrud. Do you want me to bring along any of my figures (I own about twelve Haradrim for Lotr which could be feral guardsmen for proxy purposes)? If it would be easier I could try out my Dread Mob list instead, whatever you can proxy easier. I will only be turning up at about 1:30 on the 29th though as I can't make it before lunch.

Thank you very much for offering to play with me, I hope that works for you.

Mr. E

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:14 pm 

Hey Mr E; I have some of those Mantic Veer-myn models (the basic troops and the guys with drills in their hands).

They are cast in a resin plastic so they only glue with superglue, but I quite like them. Some of them have hoses/cables that are "fun" to attach or pose, but the plastic is very flexiable and retains the bend once you put it in.

I think they are good value for money and also quite cool looking. My only reservation about using them is that they do require a bit of tidy up at the points where they have been clipped off the resin spue (they just come as loose bits in plastic bags) and assembly is definely a bit more tricky than GW plastics.

Hope that is of some help; Happy Gaming :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:13 pm 

Excellent! I'll bring lotsa orks for you to use.