South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:28 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1750 Chaos Marines *Edit: new list at bottom*
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:01 pm 

It was very cool when defensive meant St 5, I wonder why they changed it? I couldn't recall any vehicles that gained a significant advantage from the rule and most armies seemed to gain from it. The str 4 thing now seems to apply to a very limited palette of vehicles almost making the rule sort of moot (as many str 4 guns often had the caveat saying they could move and fire anyway).

But I had this sweet conversion for my predator lined up and semi started back in 4th, and so I felt obliged to finish it. It will be interesting to see given the synergy with the rest of the army how vulnerable the little fella will be in the long run, he can always be axed later, and the model will still be cool (or axed sooner because the conversion failed =/)

Has anyone got any further thoughts on combimeltas on rhinos?? and a plain 10 man squad of melta marines? I figure being chaos marines they could still hold their own in a light infantry combat (hoping the nastier stuff is tied down by my more dedicated combat units). Failing that I found I could just throw another bezerker in the mix which is never a bad thing, although I'm wary as it just seems like more meat for kharn to mince when hes getting stroppy.

Hopefully I'll be bring my semi completed army in next week. Applying copious amounts of putty to RAF leads to very long WiP stages.... Will this bother many people? Should I bide my time a little longer or are people happy to play as long as WYSIWYG is all repped (even if only by blutak, my blutak skills are pretty good these days)?

"My girlfriend digs it"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:22 pm 

Location: Up in sunny Dorkland, thinking wistfully of the noobs I left behind.
Rhinos are probably best left cheap and cheerful imho unless you have a few points left over, or if you are making a point of making them more versatile. If you're seriously looking at upgunning them, probably a Havoc launcher is a better use of points than a single shot Meltagun.

I played a game a few years ago at a tournament against a guy who had them on all three of his Rhinos. It made me sad, especially as I had lots of squishy guys on foot.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:50 pm 

yeah Havoc launcher spam could be interesting.

With Kharn and his tendency to mince his own guys a lot, always try to keep him in a separate combat from everyone else if at all possible. He's good enough to thrash a lot of things all on his own, and to be fair, he's not generally a model expected to survive a game. At least he hardly ever does when I use him.....

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 am 

yeah I think at 1750, cheaper rhinos are key as they're probably going to have a short lifespan as it is. Although hopefully the predator cops a few precious anti tank salvos to take the heat.

For now I've taken the easy route and slapped another bezerker in the land raider (you can never have too many of them?!) as I've got bundles of the guys just lying around (used to play a pure khorne army back in 3rd, when chaos was scary).

Yak, ideally he shouldn't chop too many in a round or two, and after that they'l theoretically be in the enemies guts so can split off to deal maximum carnage (which is where powerfist comes in, as I'm lacking a bit in the really high strength stuff). Kharn is probably best described as a "cruise missle".

"My girlfriend digs it"