South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Impetus at Southcon 2013
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:35 pm 

I will be running an Impetus tournament at this years 2013 Southcon.
It will be run as a tournament but with the emphasis on fun (like a casual game with a mate at your local club) and learning the game as a few of us playing will be fairly new to the system. The idea behind it is to get new people into the system and give them a goal of having a new army painted by Southcon. Great opportunity to get busy on your blogs or to post up progress on here.

Briefly details are as follows: (full pack to come soon)
25/28mm scale with 12cm frontage on bases (should look spectacular)
300 points
2 days with 3 games on Saturday and 2 on Sunday
There will be a theme which will be based on the asian theatre though this will not be at the exclusion of other armies.

So you all have lots of notice now who is keen and what army do you propose bringing?

I will be starting a Chinese army myself. Just waiting for the latest Impetus book to come out (Extra Impetus 5) that has lots of asian lists in including my Chinese. Should have it by the end of January then I can start planning what to purchase.

Post subject: Re: Impetus at Southcon 2013
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:58 am 

Yep I am keen on joining in on the fun Craig :D

Couple of bases painted up so far, like you am waiting on Impetvs Extra 5 to be sent over for the lists.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 am 

Sounds great!

Waiting on book 5 as well for some Samurai action.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 pm 

Im not sure, but i think the timaru? guys use a 2/3 basing size

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 am 

Scruff wrote:
Im not sure, but i think the timaru? guys use a 2/3 basing size

cheers

They do. However after much debate between myself and all the Wellington lads that are starting up in Impetus it was decided to go with the standard basing size. We have a few Impetus players in Dunedin and they use the standard 12cm base width. The games will be played on 8 foot wide tables here which negates the crush factor that the Timaru blokes find plaing on 6 foot wide tables which is their standard. I am hopeful some of the Timaru gus will come down and play anyway. Easy solution to place a larger base underneath the smaller ones. I think Craig C has indicated if around he will be playing and will just for 12cm bases simply sabot some amusing 4cm additions, probably propaganda posters or bare land with for sale signs on them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 pm 

Yep, if I'm in NZ I'll bring a Mongol army and sabot bases- each will have an advertising poster on it heralding the glory of proper (i.e 8cm frontage) bases.

Messages such as:

12cm frontages just look better, yeah right

and

when I grow up I ant to be a 12 cm base too :)

Seriously though, I'm happy to conform for a change.

Craig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:56 pm 

Craig C wrote:
Yep, if I'm in NZ I'll bring a Mongol army and sabot bases- each will have an advertising poster on it heralding the glory of proper (i.e 8cm frontage) bases.

Messages such as:

12cm frontages just look better, yeah right

and

when I grow up I ant to be a 12 cm base too :)

Seriously though, I'm happy to conform for a change.

Craig

:D Go on I dare you. There will be an army presentation prize so i ma sure that would help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 am 

Great news and War and Peace Games have agreed to give prize support and sponsor our wee tournament. They are a great company just across the ditch and having just dealt with them to get my Impetus rulebook I can highly recommend them.
http://www.warandpeacegames.com.au/default.asp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:57 pm 

Will try and get the tournament brief out soon but one quick point is that as we are only playing 300 points the minimum number for each choice for each list will be halfed.ie 2-10 will change to 1-10.

On another note I have changed my list of choice and will be fielding a Korean list as I cannot find any decent Chinese figures and the Perry range of Koreans is fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:40 am 

My Perry order arrived yesterday. Time to get painting!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:55 am 

LintMan wrote:
My Perry order arrived yesterday. Time to get painting!

I have yet to order mine yikes better get onto it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 pm 

Tournament pack has been sent to Richard to upload to the OMTS site. If you want a copy PM me and I can email it to you. Any issues with it let me know. I think it should be pretty straight forward but don't want folk to get too focused on the tournament thing it is after all just a fun couple of days that hopefully will encourage more to play Impetus and run similar tournaments at their club.
Hope everything is going to plan for most. I have my Perry figures now so just need to paint them.
Really looking forward to what should be a fun weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 pm 

Here are the tournament rules that will come in the pack. They are pretty much from the Official Impetus tournament pack. Note the decreased min/max on units as suggested for a 300 point army.

Southcon Impetus tournament 2013

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
― Sun Tzu

The Far East has drawn the attention of the rulers of the great dynasties of the world. A great plague has swept through China decimating their population. Great riches lay in wait for the invaders and as Chinas armies lay decimated and their borders wide open the usurpers gather…

This tournament is to be based in the Far East and appropriately themed lists for the period 1100-1500 AD are to be used. However all usurpers are welcome as the lure of the Far East and its riches draws many from far off lands.

“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity”
― Sun-Tzu

When: Queens Birthday weekend 2013
Where: Forbury Raceway and function Centre, Dunedin.
Wargames tables: 5 x 8 feet

Games: 5 (3 on day one and two on day two). Games start at 9am both days.

Game length: 2h 15m (deployment included). The turn must be completed must be completed and time can be allowed to run over limit at the umpires discretion. .
A referee will warn players 30mins, 15mins and 5mins before the game is supposed to end

Points: 300pts using 28mm figures. All armies should be fully painted [Note there will be a special award for best army which will include painting and theme]. Armies must have a camp, unless not required by the list.
Army composition for 300pts armies: 1 Command. Coward Generals are not admitted. Halve mini¬mums and maximums on the army list. No rolls of destiny.
How to halve minimums and maximums: Minimums and maximums are halved and rounded up. When maximum is 2 and these Units can form large Units (according to list), this maximum is not halved.

The Battlefield
Terrain will be deployed as per below. Terrain will be provided of 4 items per table, however players are free to bring their own if they wish.
One player to be the attacker and one the defender.. To decide both players roll 2d6 and add the number of mounted units in their army to the result. Whoever gets the lowest score is the defender

The Defender places from 1 to 3 items, most of them entirely outside the deployment areas (30cm from table edge).
[If the Defender places only one Terrain Piece, the Attacker can add one at his choice. If the Defender places 2 Terrain Features, the Attacker can move one. If the Defender places 3 Terrain Pieces the Attacker can move or remove one.
The Defender cannot place terrains all of the same type (impassable, broken difficult/difficult hill or gentle hill).]
The Attacker then places one terrain piece.
Standard deployment as per 3.4 in Impetus rulebook.
The ambush rule is not to be used.

Casualty table for Generals. Don’t count any modifier related to the quality of generals (the one testing and the other possible general present).
Game Play
All games will be the Standard Pitched Battle following the competition rules. The games will last 2 hours and 15 minutes, including deployment, at the end of the time only actions can be taken to complete the turn.

Game Scoring
POINT SYSTEM
Where the enemy army has been routed, the winner gets 30 Pts (Winner Bonus) + 100pts ( this is 100% of destroyed VDs) minus the percentage of his own lost VDs.
Where the Loser’s army has been routed he gets as many points as the percentage of VD he has destroyed.
In case of “draw” (where neither army routs) both play¬ers get 20 Pts (bonus) + percentage of enemy VDs they destroyed.
If both armies are routed the result is 70 to 70.
All Units belonging to a routed Command are considered destroyed.
Examples
1) A (VDT=34) beats B (VDT=30) routing it, but with the loss of 9VD.
A gets 30 (bonus) + 100 (percentage of destroyed Units) minus 26 (9 is 26% of 34) = 104 pts
B gets 26 pts
2) A (VDT=34) beats B (VDT=30) routing it, but with the loss of 15VD.
A gets 30 (bonus) + 100 (destroyed %) - 44 (lost %) = 86 pts
B gets 44 pts
3) A (VDT=34) destroys 6 VD of B (VDT=30) and the lat¬ter destroys 13 VD of A. Neither army is routed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 am 

Can not wait for this, only 4 stand's and the camp to paint :D

Now I just need to learn how to play.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:00 am 

Prinny wrote:
Can not wait for this, only 4 stand's and the camp to paint :D

Now I just need to learn how to play.....

I have painted one figure but unlike my effort at painting a french napoleonic army this is much more fun.
Don't forget to enter everyone. We need at least 6 for an officail tournament at southcon. I laso need to know numbers so I can get onto our prize support from War and Peace games.