South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Distopian 2013
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:17 pm 

Mysterious Lights seen in Northern Skies from Murmansk to Newfoundland!

Royal Academy of science advises “Mass dephlogistication of sub surface minerals’ in the Arctic circle most likely cause. This process is opening up vast sea lanes in the ice, including the fabled north-west passage.

Lord admiral of the Fleet Spencer announces the dispatch of a fleet crewed by stalwart snglish tars to “Race to the North pole” to plant her majesty’s flag there and claim both the surface and subsurface for Her Royal Highness and for Britannia. Fleets of other nations suspected to be en-route.

- "Royal Mail" 1883 evening edition

Post subject: Re: Distopian 2013
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 pm 

High level current fleet and scenario parameters

1) with more players gaining experience and able to finish quicker if given an objective fleets of 1000 points is proposed.
To reflect a more ad-hoc 'quick' fleet assembly by the nations ratios of S,M,L of 60:60:60
Fleets to be from one nation although appropriate 'minor and major' resources (ie minor allied nations), neutrals (ie troop transport ship), and mercs (ie black world) may be purchased as usual.
Dreadnoughts will be limited to 1
Fortifications cannot be purchased refleting the fleets needing to be mobile.
Airforce- limit 50%
Ground forces- not entirely appropriate given the naval focus *I am open to discussion to allow if barges are provided to enable them to keep up- note also that there are no barges able to carry massive models)*
Given the ability of carriers to reload and designate tiny fliers in game. when Tiny fliers (include local air support) are deployed at the start of the game their designation can be specified then (ie if attacking a fort, go with dive bombers instead of torpedo bombers).

2) rules, version 1.1 with hurricane season/storm of steel additions currently. Looking at using a date cutoff of pprox 1 month before hand for total updates.

3) scenarios will be inspired by currently released scenarios.
Note- some scenarios may have weather or night. If a night time scenario is played additional points for appropriate equipment will be allowed.
scenarios will be adjusted to a standard of 'advance force' and 'main force'
Tables will be 4*4
Victory points instead of CP will be used.
4) Overall tournament planned for 5 rounds, each round will have a common scenario representing your fleet's progress (or hindering of others progress) to the pole

5) in addition given a lot of people have land I am contemplating trying to design the tables/scenarios with the option of if both sides agree to have it as a land battle (ie grey and ice filled water becomes gray and ice covered land), who would be interested in this option?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:10 pm 

I like the idea of including a land battle option for this.
Maybe those players interested could provide a Sea/Air list and a Land/Air list, if two players with land lists
are playing each other the option is open for the land based lists to be used.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 pm 

Hi Commissar
I do like that suggestion regarding two lists.

Currently I have the 5 scenarios mostly drafted so will start posting them so people can test/feedback. Storm and time of day we've tried at omts, but will try and keep scenarios with these in straight forward since they do change how fleets play.
Some scenarios have advance guard / fleet splits- as a quick and flexible workaround will just mandate so many squadrons must deploy in such and such a zone (similar to FOW)

Table wise - currently thinking 4 tables. (will need to have them so scenarios will interact cleanly), thinking a volcano
Terrain-Core book has rules for whirlpool (see a sturgium vortex), shallows and various size islands.

In addition I am looking at clouds, 'rolling' icebergs and 'phlostigion' clouds'-

Clouds- making similar to blocking line of sight through and 5+ to hit models 'mostly' inside (tempted to make entirely just to avoid measurement issues.
Iceberg/ Ice flow- 'rolling' gentlely under the surface the area near one of these has a change to have a mountain of ice come up from under water. Essentially Icebergs will 'move' (thinking scatter as per sturgium flare in the end phase)- will limit to at most 2 of these per table
"phlostigion clouds'- essentially a cloud- made of highly combustible materials, same protection, weapons firing at ship in it get +1 'flame' mar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:40 pm 

Setup
Standard
• 4* 4 table
• Choose Table edge
• Choose aggressor/defender (if no consensus- dice. the highest chooses)

• Round 1; Portents. A combination of grudge and data retrieval missions
o Fluff; After a long chase a enemy fleet containing an infamous squadron has been brought to heel. As two fleets approach each other there was a crackle of ozone and 3 disabled covenant ships appeared between the fleets. Orders are to engage
o Setup
 Place 1 derelict either on the centre of the board or if impassable terrain present on the centre line (dice 50:50 for lefr or right) as close as possible.
 Starting with aggressor take turns in placing 1 derelict ‘covenant’ ship within 8 inches of the centre line and no closer than 8 inches to another derelict
 Designate 1 squadron from the opposing fleet as the ‘grudge squadron’
o Deployment
 Starting with the defender take turns alternate place 1 squadron.
• Each side’s ‘grudged’ squadron must be deployed within the first 2 deployments.
 At the end of deployment there must be at least 2 squadrons (excluding TF) in each of the ‘main body’ and the ‘advance guard’ boxes
o End condition
 The game will end when overall
• Three objectives (including at least one grudge squadron) have been searched (derelicts), captured, or destroyed (grudge squadron).
• Time
 The objectives are the covenant derelicts and the opposing squadron (as an entire unit)
o Special rules
 “retrieve the data’, the
• The covenant derelicts will not drift, but do block sight. They cannot be destroyed or captured, only searched.
• Search process-
o A squadron at all stop with one controlled unbroken ship within 4 inches of an objective covenant derelict may attempt a search
o Only 1 squadron from a fleet may search a given derelict in a turn.
o Roll in end phase of turn- 4+ is a successful search
o This increases to 3+ in subsequent turns if searched by the same squadron.
o Victory points
 Victory points for hurting enemy fleet as standard
 Each ship in the ‘objective’ squadron is worth double victory points.
 Each derelict captured is worth 100 victory points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:41 pm 

• Round 2; Northward bound. A convoy game based on Battle of the storms (adapted from Hurricane season)
o Fluff.
 Data retrieved from the covenant vessels confirms something went wrong with a long range teleportation to ‘Euclid’ base. Forward elements of all fleets are heading into the Arctic searching for the north west passage, Euclid, and of course the pole. However a gentleman cannot reach the pole on polar bear steaks alone, as a result a supply convoy has been sent north with those little things that make an arctic wilderness civilized
o Setup
 Aggressor has 6 ‘cargo’ tokens. Before deployment allocate cargo to ships. Smalls/mediums can carry up to 2 each, Large/massive can carry up to 6 each
o Deployment
 Alternating starting with defender both sides deploy squadrons inside deployment areas. At the end of deployment the squadrons (excluding tiny fliers) should have roughly
• 1/3 of squadrons in ‘main body’. (round up)
• 1/3 of squadrons in ‘advance guard’ (round down)
• 1/3 of squadrons in ‘reserve’ (round down)
 Reserves enter on turn 1
o Victory
 Game ends on time or when the last unit of cargo is removed from the board.
 Victory points to win.
• Each point of cargo is worth
o +75 victory points if exited (aggressor)
o +50 victory points if within 8 inches of exit area (aggressor)
o +50 victory points if sunk (defender)
o +75 points if ‘pirated’ (defender)
o Special rules
 ‘O space distortions”- if time orb teleports a ship within 8 inches of the exit area the opponent gets to choose
 ‘pirated cargo’. warships are not cargo ships, as a result additional cargo is not in the most secure locations. If a ship carrying cargo is boarded and the boarders secure more hits all cargo on the target ship is ‘pirated’ and removed from the table (meanwhile the boarders surviving marines fly back with slightly heavier pockets)
 Weather- this game starts in a storm.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:42 pm 

• Round 3; Racing Ice; closing ice forces both fleets to flee rather than fight.
o Fluff
 Even with the navigatable seas the channels are still changing. Both fleets have been caught in an area with ice due to close in, there is no time to fight, the only chance any ship has is to flee
o Set up
 As per map- designated exit zone
o Deployment
 ½ (round up) in area 1
 ½ (round 2) in area 2
o Victory
 Victory points
• Destroying enemy ship- 0% of cost
• Capturing enemy ship- 100% of cost
• Exiting a friendly ship- 100% of cost
 End condition-
• one fleet has no ships left on table
• 6 turns or time.
o Special rules
 To exit by exit zone- drive squadron through in activation.
o Design notes-
 Two main strategies- block the enemy from exiting, and drive for the exits.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:59 pm 

Hey there David
Thanks for all of the hard work done so far mate.
Just a couple of points for consideration.
I would seriously consider banning Dreadnoughts, the sheer power of these at smaller points levels tends to lead to very predictable games which often bog down into slogs that don't go anywhere unless one player gets very lucky. Including Dreadnoughts at this level may well cater for the tastes of power gamers but those among us who prefer balanced games of movement, tactics and
considered use of firepower to provide enjoyable balanced games find they tend to break the game a little. Surely it is better to win a game or a tournament for that matter because you were the better player with the most balanced fleet on the day than to win because you fluked a single lucky roll against an outclassed opponent on turn 1. Surely this is a game to be fully enjoyed by two people to a satisfying and fair conclusion where the game is more valued than the result.
If anyone out there thinks I am wrong, please don't be afraid to put your case, I can be convinced to reconsider.
Also Dave, I am thinking of submitting a list for FSA Sea, FSA Land and if the Italians are ready a naval fleet for them.
That way I can play as a good guy or a bad guy depending on which nation my opponent is taking.
What do you think?
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:42 pm 

I too am I bit iffy about dreadnoughts at 850, they're quite tough for a force to kill, especially at small points. You might think that everyone having them might balance it out but I don't think all dreadnoughts were created equal.

If I have an enterprise/majesty/blucher and you have a Prometheus or Hachiman I know who's going to win and at this small points there isn't enough room for other good units in the force to make up for a poor dreadnought

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:25 pm 

I'm a little confused about points now, is it 850 or 1000?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:37 pm 

Hi Sass
The Info pack on the OMTS website holds all of the details that you require, the info at the top of this page has not been updated as of yet.
I would still very much appreciate those involved to consider banning those Dreds from the comp, or at least posting comment and involving in discussion. I really do think that better games will result.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 am 

Hi guys- sorry for the update delay
Good to hear the feedback

1) the reduction from 1000 to 850 was one of those latter minute decisions, My apologies for the confusion

2) The dreadnoughts were originally allowed in the 1000 point lists, that and storm of steels +150 vp worth gave enough weight of fire made them semi ok. I have canvassed the current entrants , reviewed your comments below, and it seems the consensus is that we ban DN's , also consistent with Spartans 750 official tournament list. I will update tournament pack.

2b) As a side note- I've tried to design the scenarios so fleets will need a balance of firepower and speed.

3) I am comfortable if for a navy which has no land mini's (or vice versa) for a different nation to be taken for the sea and ground lists. will be quite interested to see how the Italians fare

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:34 am 

Ok- now for some further scenario/ table updates
The Maps
Civilian shipping route
• Islands- medium
• 4 ‘civilian vessels’ belonging to the international medical association are present providing medical support to all sides without favor.
• As a result of the medical status
o 1) ships cannot fire on an opposing vessel which lies in a line defined as follows
 The angle of the firing vessel to the opposing vessel
 Up to 32 inches. (so target vessel can be before or behind
o This rule may be ignored at a once off cost of 100 vp- (but victory may make it ‘justified’)
• For purposes of mines/collisions/ sight- The ships have 4hp , dr 3, cr 5, medium size
Ice berg
• An ice berg in the centre of the map is due to break up, at which point it will roll
• At the start place 2 icebergs touching in the centre- for round 1 it counts as a mountain
• At the end of the first round (and in each subsequent end round) the bergs move-
o roll a scatter dice for each berg (direction) and distance moved is d6 + 3 inches
o (this represents submerged bits coming to the surface and the berg ‘rolling’
o Bergs rebound off islands
o Bergs count as massive islands – the bergs move simultaneously.
Phlogistion volcano
• A faintly red odorless but translucent gas issues forth from a volcano, while easy to see through normally when a ship is within the gas it ignites in a spectacular column of flame vortexing around the ship.
• The updraft makes the ship gain the benefits of a cloud generator (ie 5+ to hit it)
• The flame means whenever the ship suffers a point of damage it gains a raging fire token (your marines will not like it too much- reminds them of boot camp)

“Maelstrom”
• A massive conflux of ocean currents and air currents sucks all who get close inwards. 1 medium power vortex is placed in the centre of the board, this will be stationary

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 am 

Round 5; ‘Assault on Ice Station Euclid’ aka Euclidian Geometries.
Fluff
o The centre of the disruption is found, ice station Euclid, its O space static generator has killed its crew and is literally folding space scattering both fleets

• Set up
o Divide table into quarters (horizontal/vertical)
o Each player (starting with defender) alternates placing a teleport portal. 1 portal in each quarter in total- no portal may be closer than 12 inches to another
o If terrain is is in mid table- move this to centre and ¼.
• Deployment
o Defender deploys first- deploy all forces within 12 inches of both the horizontal and vertical axis (or to put it another way, a 24 inch box centered on map centre),
 must have at least 1 squadron per quadrant
 may hold 1 squadron in reserve which can arrive at any time from turn 1+ from any board edge or portal
o Attacker then deploys second
 Must have at least 1 squadron per quadrant
 Can deploy anywhere on board edge but not closer than 12 inches to a defending model
 may hold 1 squadron in reserve which can arrive at any time from turn 1+ from any board edge or portal
• End
o When 3 quadrants are controlled by one side or are unoccupied at the end of turn
o 6 turns or time
• Victory
o Points for each enemy sunk/damaged/captured as per usual
o +150 vp for each quadrant controlled
• Special rules
o A quadrant is controlled if at the end of the turn no opposing vessels are in it
o A quadrant is unoccupied if at the end of the turn no vessels from either side are in it.
o Teleport portals are per rule book
 Basically- if during its activation any model in the squadron touches the portal- the entire squadron is removed from the table.
 On the squadrons next activation roll a d6
• 1- don’t place back, roll again next turn.
• 2+ move entire squadron out from any energy portal on table, complete activation. (you may choose orientation)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:36 am 

• Round 4 Northern lights -Night strike
o Fluff Night time- the major combatant units have secured from 100 % alert and moved to a resupply formation while lighter units scout ahead.
o Forward scouts have spotted the enemy main body in an unprepared state while at the same time their forward scouts have noticed yours and are maneuvering to attack.
o
o Design notes- this will have for the first turn a sleepy but larger ‘main body’ attacked by a smaller but more ‘awake’ force. Smaller ships come into their own at night since its easier for a ‘tin cans’ crew to physically get their ship to action stations as opposed to people traversing the decks of the battle wagons.

• Set up
o “break out the searchlights”- Both parties spend 30 points each to equip their ships for night fighting from the following list;
 Medium class searchlight- 10
 Large class searchlight- 15
 Massive class searchlight- 20
 Carrier- 15 points ‘night flier’ equip
 Shore based ‘night flier’ – 10 points per wing
o The Game starts as night time.
• Deployment
o All Large/Massive and Medium units in the main body areas start at low alert
o Alternating both parties:
o Place 1 ‘resupply vessel’ in their deployment area.
o Deploy ½ (round up) of squadrons in the main body area
 This must include your commodore and 1 large/massive squadron
o The remaining ½ of your squadrons are deployed as follows
 1 Small squadron must be placed in the advance guard area
 Other Small and medium squadrons can be placed in the advance guard area.
 Large/massive squadrons are held in reserve
o Reserves arrive during movement of round 2 in either reserve arrival area R1 or reserve arrival area R2 (P1 and P2 are the players)
o Carriers without night flier cannot launch- keep these on the carrier until twilight
o Neither side deploys shore support tiny tokens unless night flier has been purchased- Without- hold these in reserve until twilight in turn 2. With nightflier- deploy at game start in either area.
• Victory;
o The game ends when 1 supply vessel is Sunk/prize/derelict, end of 6 turns, or time.
o Victory points as standard.
• Special rules
o ‘Low alert’- Ships at low alert move at ½ speed, fire ordinance with ½ attack dice and cannot initiate boarding actions until the low alert is removed.
 A low alert is removed in the end phase of a turn on a successful repair roll.
 A commodore may reroll this.
 If a ship is fired upon and damaged, is boarded or is successfully affected by an offensive generator controlled by the opponent (eg spotlight generator) a ship is awakened automatically.
 Ships will automatically wake up at twilight.
o Night- will last for 2 turns, then Twilight for 2 turns, then day for the rest of the game
o “supply vessel”
 DR 3, cr 8, Mv 5, AA4, CC4, HP 6, Ap 8, , points 100 Large capital class