South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warmachine / Hordes - Inaugural Grind Tournement
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:25 pm 

Greetings All

Due to lack of entries this year, Warmachine has been moved to casual gaming, we will one table running throughout the weekend, so feel free to come along and play, also a great chance to try your hand if your new to it.

At a later point I will be posting the Grind rules and scenarios in the Warmachine section of the forums, including some of the versions that did not get full play testing if people are interested in using these in club gaming.

Any queries feel free to contact me.

Callumn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****Note Below - Notible changes to the format for Southcon

This year at Southcon I will be running the Inaugural Grind Tournement on Saturday and a Steamroller tournement on Sunday
Different lists can be used for each day. Painted armies not required, but preferred. Models must be assembled.

For Saturday -
Lists will be 25 point Steamroller (two lists) with one noted execption - No 120mm models. (They mess with ball movement to much in grind)

Saturday will consist of 5 rounds of Grind with a few different varients (see example posts below)

For Sunday -
Lists will be 25 point Steamroller (two lists) - 120mm models are just fine for this.

Sunday will consist of 4 rounds of Steamroller scenarios.

For both days we will be using casual timed turns (70 min rounds, 7 min turns, 3 min extentions)

For those unfamiliar with steamroller rules, they can be found here:
http://privateerpress.com/files/Steamroller_2013_Rules_3.pdf

I have posted 2 of the varients for Grind below (the other still needs some play testing, also these may be altered as further play testing comences)
Any feed back on how this plays, questions about the tourney or issues of note please advise, I can be contacted by PM, cell or email.

Callumn James
Email - callumn.james@gmail.com
Cell - 021 040 3634

Last edited by Randomise on Mon May 27, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes - Inaugural Grind Tournement
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:27 pm 

two lists? and will you allow unpainted models?

Assassins' Redoubt Final Transmission

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 pm 

did you mean this link http://privateerpress.com/files/Steamroller_2013_Rules_3.pdf for the rule not the order form for the kit?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:38 pm 

Please find base Grind senario

Any issues noted in play let me know.

Also please advise of any spelling errors and rules clarification needed.

Grind (Distant Scenario) Special Rules
Summary: Players attempt to manoeuvre objectives into a zone on the opponent’s side of the board.
Place two objectives and mark two zones (4˝-diameter circle) per the diagram below.
At the end of each player’s turn, starting on the second player’s second turn, a player earns 1 control point for each objective within the control zone on the opponent’s half of the board. Players do not earn control points for controlling zones in this scenario.
Immediately after a control point is scored return the scoring objective to its starting position using least disturbance (WARMACHINE: Prime, p. 65). Models moved by this placement are knocked down and suffer a POW 10 collateral damage roll.
Victory Conditions The first player to earn at least 2 control points and have more control points than the opponent immediately wins the match. Assassination victory is not used for this scenario (it is still 1st tie breaker).
If time runs out before a player has won the match via scenario victory, break the tie as outlined in ―Victory & Tiebreakers‖. For the 3rd tiebreaker, instead of counting army points, count the number of objectives completely within each player’s half of the board. The player with fewest objectives completely within his half of the board wins the match.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:41 pm 

Yes Troll I certainly do (now edited, thanks for the save)

Yes to two lists, as for painted or not, I will discuss this further and post later today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:07 pm 

Please find below the Deathball Scenario rule.

Please provide feed back on this one with any suggestions for improvement and clarification.

----------------------

Deathball (Close Scenario) Special Rules
Summary: Players attempt to kill opponents Warcaster / Warlock with one of the Deathballs
Artifice – This scenario uses the Kill Box artifice, with a slight alteration, instead of giving the opponent two control points, Warcasters / Warlocks outside of the Kill Box are immediately take 5 boxes of damage. If this boxes the caster, the opponent wins.
Place two objectives per the diagram below.
In this scenario, the last box of each players Warcaster / Warlock can only be taken by a Deathball. If the caster would normally be boxed by damage not from a Deathball, they are instead Knocked Down.

Victory Conditions The first player kill the enemy Warcaster / Warlcok wins. Simple.
1st Tie breaker is replaced with "whichever caster has taken the least damage wins"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Randomise on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 pm 

For practice games I recommend setting up terrain with the following in mind:

Always have at least two clear channels for the Grindballs to travel down (more is fine)

Always have the goals and Grindball spawns clear of terrain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:28 pm 

the big change that they made to killbox this years is 2 vp if the caster is out of the box and a smaller box.

I like what you are trying to do but I feel that if will fall flat and not work. no one will go after the ball and just do caster kills.

I give you props for trying something new a could be fun but really at the pt level you are wanting to play at it not going to work. to easy to kill the caster, also we have new toys that are 120mm based and want to use them, you are telling us not to as it messes up the idea of the game how?

I have to say I will not be coming down for an event like this it not for me sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:39 pm 

Cheers for the feed back Troll,

In practice, the 120mm models block the goal and the lanes too easily.

Also I noted the change to kill box, hence my clarification. Kill box only being used on Deathball for a reason.

Yes people can just go for the caster kill in Grind, I have some things I want to try around this but they will require testing before I put them forward. Also caster kill does not end the game in Grind.

If people just bring standard list like they would to any other tourney then this would be less fun, I'm put the base scenaros up so people can taloir their thinking and lists ahead of this.

Also I am open to the idea the 25 points may not be right. Suggestions around this are welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:24 pm 

don't get me wrong. I am a jack and best nut over 100pt of beast for trolls and over 100 pt of jacks for memoth.

I really like what you trying to do. Thanks for the letting us know about the reason about 120mm bases if they blue screen what you trying to do then yes should be left out.

just to clear up you going for the 14inch kill box with auto loss. that is an almost auto win for leagon with the angel. fly push out game. and at 25 pt there not much can do about it.

I do like it but as I said not for me sorry. also 3 hours over the day is a little low for what would want me to spend cash on. gas place to stay event food. maybe raze the games played up. that would get me more interested 5 games day one and 4 the second yes please.

maybe death clock for 30mins an other thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:18 am 

Cheers again Troll.

Having finished doing the time table, I think 5 games on the sat is prob needed anyway.

I may not have made the scenario with Killbox clear enough. The only way to kill a caster in it is to hit them with the Deathball. Kill box is used in this to stop people hiding casters miles away from the action. I take it your concern here is how easy it would be to push caster out? In that is the case, any suggestions on this? Maybe go for 2012 lighter kill box?

Timing wise, we have a couple of fairly new players down here, so I am not wanting to go too hard core and intimidate them out of entering.

Obviously cool if not your thing, but your feed back is rather useful anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 am 

The tricky thing about non-standard events is that they are difficult for a new player. They have not point of reference at all.

If you want new players and travellers to come keeping it as a standard tournament is always best. Being different is all well and good but its not at all helping build a play group.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:33 am 

I it was more bring up the point about kill box and not wanting them to hide out the back. but with some casters and feats a push out win and not going after the idea of the game. I know I would I would even build list to do just that.

Gortan feat push back 8inchs and half speed.
Denny2 feat. no move
Haily 2 feat. give something up and time bomb
harby feat power 14
old witch feat.
push caster out and shadow bind.

what you are trying to do would be good for a club thing or a after event fun game time but for an event it to out of the box for people. It feels like a fun event in a event where other systems are doing a normal event.

sorry to be so a negative person about what you are trying to do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 pm 

Randomise wrote:
1st Tie breaker is replaced with “Which ever player has the most damage boxes remaining on their Warcaster / Warlock wins”

just a suggestion, but perhaps this could be changed to "whichever caster has taken the least damage win". That way casters with significantly more initial health (Karchev, Terminus, Darius et al.) don't have even more of an innate advantage over the squishier ones that might already be struggling with the prospect of having to get up close and personal.

Otherwise it looks good and I'll be hoping to bring a carload of people down.

(I promise not to bring big T's super happy fun time bus)

Assassins' Redoubt Final Transmission

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:15 pm 

Cheers Nic, Alteration made (also note painting decision made, not required).

Please all note changes to tournement setup (one day of grind, 9 games total).

Also please note I have made Deathball both more and less brutal.

Being outside the kill box now only gives up 5 health. (thanks for feedback on this Troll)

The Deathball now has Armor Peircing (yes that does make it kind of horifying, thats kind of the intention, as it stood, large jacks / beasts could block the ball too easy, hence the change - also makes it worthwhile using in game)

I will be sending a new player pack for this through, so if you have received the old (now outdated) one, please contact me, details in 1st post.