South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:59 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dystopian Plans
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 pm 

Here are some of the ideas for the Dystopian Wars comp at South-con 14
Feed back, ideas and suggestions are welcome so that I can run the event that you all want to get involved with.
I plan to optional include things like:
Hiring Mercenary vessels
Buying special play cards
Playing Dirty Tricks on your enemies
Skirmish level games (maybe 1-2) to start the comp
Third party defenses and special effects

For those that know me and have been involved in events that I have run in the past, you will not be surprised
to hear that I intend to reward effort and include all aspects of the hobby in my scoring system.
My ambition is to get to 12 players, lofty goals I know, but reach for the skies I say.

Leave your thoughts here.

Post subject: Re: Dystopian Plans
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:21 pm 

Sounds good. I'm in.

Are mercenary vessels going to be the standard allies etc for you list or are you creating your own ones for specific games?

Not sure what you had in mind for missions, but capturing buildings etc on islands might be interesting? Not sure what people would do for infantry tokens though. Example of this could be capture a gun tower next to the entrance to a harbour in order to keep the enemy fleet penned in the harbour.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:19 pm 

The available Mercs will be created by me and provided by me as well.
Cheers for the in-put

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:24 pm 

Gutted I missed Southcon this year Ian. Am hoping to make it next year; just need to see how the money holds out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:27 pm 

Inspired by the lads idea at TAG-con this year, I also to have a design comp revealed a few days out from the comp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:06 pm 

Here's an idea for you. Aim the kill only the warlord. Destroy an object with 3 hull points armour 13 all way around it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:46 pm 

das-grab wrote:
Here's an idea for you. Aim the kill only the warlord. Destroy an object with 3 hull points armour 13 all way around it.

I think you may have the wrong game system.

Assassins' Redoubt Final Transmission

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:22 am 

Do we have an idea on how many points yet? Also if we're going to do a skirmish thing to start out with I'd rather only one game of it, as I'd prefer more games playing with all my toys.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:01 am 

Naturally I'm in.
and looks like a good amount of thought/brainstorming already.

Points- 750-850 seem to be the ranges. personal preference if doing a split of the fleet into 2 for 'skirmish' style games go for the 850 points.
Fleet composition- i'm guessing if < 1250 no dreads (pending v2 rules?), any major shift from 70,70,40?

I quite like the idea of a skirmish game or 2 as 'shake down' cruises.
It gives some good fast games (leaving time for larger games),
is good for a narrative/scenario (eg- building with only smalls and mediums a viable 'force),
and enables get multi club players to get on the same page interpretation wise.
Only caveat I would give is signal in advance the scenarios, the build for an 'advance force' is different if you know it has to stand alone vs being in advance of a fleet. This comes into play especially for 'force multiplier' units- (eg sonic/disruption generators)

While I do like playing with 'all' the toys I must acknowledge that I can't do that unless the game is 2000+ points.

Is das-grab's idea a an object with 3hp and dr 13, no cr specified? Tough but would prefer objectives to use the stats of a bunker

Design comp- good- will have to not overload judges with ideas.

Design comments
from feedback at last southcon- points per game of vessels killed was strongly suggested as a standard, possibly keep in mind any desired skewing/weighting impact if having a skirmish vs 'main' battle.

Hiring Merc vessels-
sounds good, what mechanism to hire them 'in competition' - are you thinking 'scenario rewards or a 'pool' of merc hire points that a player can spend? (eg over the 5 games you have 500 merc points, can only be spent once? eg- get an aussie pocket bb for first game, win that one but be outnumbered by more parsimonious players later). Thoughts- limit ratio of mercs per game (ie no doubling forces). Design/fluff wise- possibly consider Mercs and their fleet combinations - ie who will they work with and what merc ships will be very wrong if paired up with certain forces (eg time orb merc, the Russian player would probably bid a fleet).
One possible limit on merc points would be a bid per round- this would slow down rounds from starting but could be interesting to see how much people are desperate for a given model/squadron for a given scenario (the next round is convoy duty, I have here a mercenary lexington cruiser squadron- how much am I bid?)

For capturing islands- 1 there are infantry tokens (I have some ) plus they fit aboard small transports, so infantry regiments areready to assault any islands, of course you could just use AP

Special play cards- i'm guessing from the card pool, again possibly some sort of bid/purchase round? (hmm- potential time wise- after a skirmish round have a auction/store phase- do one at start? of day one, one at end of day 1?)

Dirty tricks?- as distinct from special play cards- will this be things like redeploy, commando strikes etc. Be careful to keep power such you cant win outright with one dirty trick (I'm guessing dirty tricks will include traps, minefields, hockey bats vs minions?)

Third party defenses and special effects
1) set up defenses and specify stats clearly as well as firing phase/ order/ target priority.
2) Game special effects-From southcon I think I made tables a bit too 'cluttered' at times with an objective, a table effect (eg the whirlpool) and a scenario effect (eg night time fighting). possibly scenario + 1 special effect max.

V2 should be out by then as well.

D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:06 pm 

Nice work dave, thanks for the in-put.
You have successfully guessed at some of my plans, but I am not saying which ones, Bwaaa ha ha :twisted:
I will be releasing the finer details on Fleet builds when the new Rulebook is released, just in case things get
changed from what we consider the norm at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:50 am 

True- I've been looking at the merchant fleets, given them, the east indian merchant company, and the upcoming option to get your own 'evil underwater lair' there seem to be lots of options terrain wise coming up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:18 pm 

The early decision has been made to use Rule-book 1.1 for the comp.
This saves trying to get down with the new rules should they be released
in the month leading up to the event, that would just be asking for confusion
and arguments.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:38 am 

Here is where we stand at present. (Subject to change)
2 Days, 6 games.
4 on day 1, 2 on day 2.
Day 1 will include two skirmish style games and two 700 point games.
Day 2 will include 2 large games (1000 pts).
I think this method will allow every-one to be involved in the aspects of the hobby that
they most enjoy, be it smaller, faster more personal games - or the larger, get to use more of
my favorite toys type of games.
I am even happy to allow people to use different nations for each game size if they wish and there
will be no restriction on the amount of Flyers or Submersibles allowed, so plan for those themed
lists. Dreads and Special Characters will be allowed in the large games on day 2.
No vessels can be chosen from outside your primary fleet list, so no Allies, Mercs, Merchants etc...sorry.
I would like to see no unpainted models if possible please.
Scoring Categories include - Gaming, Sports, Comp, Painting and maybe General Knowledge.
Feel free to pass comment, if I know what you want I can provide a better experience.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 am 

For a Dystopian Noob like me what does 'skirmish' mean? is that 300 pointsish or something?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:43 am 

The details for Skirmish Engagements will be revealed when I have refined the rules a little.
Essentially they are based on 300 point lists, 1 medium and the rest Smalls.
Played in 45 min easily, fast moving and quite bloody...never a bad thing.