14. Khan Pepper-Edwards

Grudge Matches:
Mal vs Alex
Aaron vs Rhys
Pablo vs Tom

Southcon 2014
Warhammer Fantasy Battle Player Pack

Introduction

Welcome to the Warhammer Fantasy tournament held at Southcon 2014.
This is the player pack, which contains all the important information you require to compete at WHFB Southcon, important dates, tournament rules and other stuff.

The Tournament

Tournament Organizer: Tim Joss (T.O) malketh@slingshot.co.nz
When: Saturday 31st May and Sunday 1st June 2014
Where: Forbury Raceway
146 Victoria Road, Saint Kilda
Start Time: 9.00am start
Finish Time: 6.00pm (latest)
Registration due: Early bird 14/04/2014 Before 31/05/2014
Army lists due: Monday 26th May email to Tim Joss - malketh@slingshot.co.nz
Cost: $45 Early Bird $40
General Format
Army Size: varies – see below
Rounds: 6 scenarios
Game length: 2 ½ hours each game
Matches: Match ups will be based on a Swiss system. Grudge matches are accepted. Every effort will be made to match people initially with new opponents.
Army lists

• Southcon 2014 will be run under the 8th Edition Warhammer Fantasy rule set.
• All armies must use an official army book that has been published and released in New Zealand.
• Chaos Dwarfs will use the list from the Throne of Tamurkhan book.
• Weapons, armour and upgrades must be represented on the majority of models in a unit
• Proxies will not be allowed. Suitable representations will be ok providing they are of an appropriate size and mounted on the correct base.
• Scenarios will be used.
• Games will be played with open lists.

Magic Restrictions

• Armies are limited to 12 dice total for a magic phase
• An army may add a maximum of 3 additional power/dispel dice from any source apart from those generated by the winds of magic. Additional dice beyond this are discarded.
• The magic item “Chalice of Darkness” may not be used mid spell
• Night Goblin “mushrooms” do not count towards the power dice limit
General Restrictions
• Fozzriks Folding Fortress is a three storied building measuring no more than 6” x 6” footprint with a maximum capacity of 20 infantry
• Special characters may not be taken
• Units are limited to a maximum of 500 points and/or 60 models (whatever comes first)
• Armies are limited to a maximum of 4 flying models/units (excluding hover)
• Battle Standard Bearers may take all the mundane options

Race Specific Restrictions:

When selecting an army, a player will follow the usual rules for ”choosing an army” page 132-135 of the 8th edition Warhammer Rulebook. In addition to the above, additional restrictions are placed on some armies as described below.

Each race is split into three key details:
Maximum points available: This is the total maximum points you may spent on the army for Southcon
Victory point modifier: This is the modifier applied to victory points awarded to your opponent. Please note this does not apply to Bonus Victory points such as “Slaying the General” or “Capturing the Brewery”
Restrictions pool: This represents the pool of restricted units/items for your army. Each army may only choose up to four selections out of their pool. Pools do not ignore normal army book rules eg you cannot take 3 skullcannons!

Daemons of Chaos: 2300 (+5%) Greater Daemon, Skullcannon, Death Magic, 0-2 Nurgle Beast models, Exalted Flamer

Warriors of Chaos: 2300 (+5%) Marked Daemon Prince, Daemonic Flight, Hellcannon, Death Magic, Crown of Command, Third Eye of Tzeentch, Souleater, 0-2 Skullcrusher models, Talsman of Preservation/Armour of Destiny combined with mark of Tzeentch

Dark Elves: 2400 (NA) 0-2 Reaper Bolt Thrower models, 0-5 Warlock models, 0-10 Shade models, Characters mounted on Dark Steed, Death Magic

Skaven: 2400 (NA) Screaming Bell, Warp Lightning Cannon, Hell Pit Abomination, Doom Rocket, Storm banner, Brass Orb

High Elves: 2400 (NA) 0-2 Repeater bolt Thrower models, Star Dragon, Frost Phoenix, Banner of the World Dragon

Dwarfs: 2400 (NA) Cannon, Organ Gun, Grudge Thrower, Flame cannon

Legion of Azgorh: 2400 (NA) K’daai Destroyer, Death Magic, Sorcerer Prophet, 0-2 Death Shrieker Rocket models, Magma Cannon, Hell Cannon, Chalice of Darkness

Ogres: 2400 (NA) Slaughtermaster, 0-3 Mournfang models, Ironblaster, 0-5 Maneater models, Hellheart, Crown of Command

Lizardmen: 2400 (NA) Scarvet on Cold One, Old blood on Cold One, 0-30 Skink Skirmisher models, 0-6 Terradon models, 0-2 salamander models

Empire: 2400 (NA) Canon, Steam Tank, Hellblaster Volley Gun, War Altar, Light Wizard Lord, 0-4 Demigriff models

Vampire Counts: 2400 (NA) Terrorgiest, 0-5 Crypt Horror models, Mortis Engine, 0-5 Hexwraith models, Quickblood, Red Fury, model/unit with the ethereal special rule (excluding Hexwraiths).

Wood Elves: 2400 (NA) NIL

Orc’s & Goblin’s: 2500 (-5%) Doom Diver, Rock Lobber, Lucky Shrunken Head, 0-2 Mangler Squig models

Brettonnians: 2500 (-5%) NIL

Tomb Kings: 2600 (-10%) NIL

Beastmen: 2600 (-10%) NIL

Time Table

Saturday
8:30am – Pre tournament briefing
9am – 11:30am Round 1: Dawn Attack
11:30am – 12noon: Lunch
12noon – 2:30pm Round 2: Meeting Engagement
2:45pm – 5:15pm Round 3: Headhunter

Sunday
9am – 11:30am Round 4: Assault on the Brewery
11:30am – 12noon: Lunch
12noon – 2:30pm Round 5: Blood & Glory
2:45pm – 5:15pm Round 6: Battleline
6:00pm – Prize giving

Scenarios

Dawn Attack: As per page 145 of the Warhammer Rulebook
Meeting Engagement : As per page 149 of the Warhammer Rulebook
Headhunter: The armies line up against each other ready to cut the head from the snake and gather the scalps. Keep your head on your shoulders!
• The armies are deployed as per the Battleline Scenario as per page 145 of the Warhammer Rulebook
• “The King is Dead” is worth 400 victory points
• “Siezed Battle Standards” are worth an additional 200 victory points
• Characters chosen from the “Lords” section are worth an additional 200 victory points
• Characters chosen from the “Heroes” section are worth an additional 100 victory points
• The “Underdog Challenge” is worth 2x the above values
Assault on the Brewery: There’s a brewery nearby. Nuff said!
• A building will be placed on the table by the TO. This will represent the Brewery
• The armies are deployed as per the Battleline Scenario as per page 145 of the Warhammer Rulebook. In addition no unit may deploy within 12” of the Brewery except for Dwarfs whom may deploy 8” or more away
• If you have a unit inside the Brewery at the end of your turn, you will score an additional 100 victory points
• If you have a unit inside the Brewery at the end of the game, you will score an additional 400 victory points
• Roll a D6 at the beginning of each player turn for units within the Brewery. They will gain the following rules if they do no already have them: 1 Stupidity, 2 -1 to hit, 3 ASL, 4 nothing, 5 Frenzy (requires test to restrain), 6 regeneration 5+
• Victory points are awarded as normal, however the side not holding the Brewery is capped at 9 points and the side holding the Brewery will score a minimum of 11. If no side holds the Brewery at the end of the game, no caps apply.
• Game length: Roll a D6 at the end of Game Turn 4. Add the turn number to the roll. If the roll is equal to or greater than 10, the game ends
Blood and Glory: As per page 148 of the Warhammer Rulebook with the additional changes:
• The first army to break the opponent scores an additional 600vp
• Victory points are awarded as normal, however the broken side is capped at 9 points and the breaker will score a minimum of 11.
Battleline: As per page 144 of the Warhammer Rulebook

Prizes and Prize Giving

Trophies will be awarded for the following:

• 1st Overall
• 2nd Overall
• 3rd Overall
• Best Sporting (player judged)
• Best presented army (player judged)

Tournament Scoring

Each player will accumulate tournament points over the course of the day comprising of the elements listed below. In total there are 170 tournament points available:
Battlepoints: 120
Presentation: 32
Sports: 18

Battle Points /120
Each player will accumulate battle points over the course of the day. The following VP table will be used to determine the points received by each player for their games.

Victory Margin Difference Battle Points
Winner/ Loser
000 – 199 10 / 10
200 – 349 11 / 9
350 – 499 12 / 8
500 – 699 13 / 7
700 – 899 14 / 6
900 – 1099 15 / 5
1100 – 1299 16 / 4
1300 – 1499 17 / 3
1500 – 1749 18 / 2
1750 – 1999 19 / 1
2000+ 20 / 0

Sports Points /18
Each player will accumulate sports points over the course of the day. Each player will award points to their opponent at the end of each game as follows:

3 points – Great game, happy to play them again.
2 points – Good game, some questionable actions by your opponent but nothing to major.
1 point – Poor game. Your opponent argued all the rules and/or preformed multiple dodgy actions
0 points – You played a spoilt 2 year old child who wouldn’t stop screaming for ice cream the whole game (ice cream will be provided, and it must have been the whole game)

The default score is 3 and it is expected that each player would normally score this amount.

Presentation Points /32
Must apply to the bulk of the army (90%+)
Army is fully painted, but only to the three-color standard of basecoating - 7 points
Army is beyond fully painted, additional steps beyond the three-color standard - 12 points

Detail

Painting is Uniform: Not a mix of schemes, styles, and looks – 1 point
Clean Basecoat Colors: Base colors are painted neatly – 2 points
Details are painted such as eyes, buckles, and jewellery – 2 points
Details are painted well (clean, have highlights) – 2 points
Hand-Painted Details (that are well executed) have been added such as unit markings, banner artwork, blood marks, dirt on cloaks, etc – 2 points
Banners, markings, and details are hand painted to an incredible degree! – 1 point
Drybrushing, lining, shading, inking, etc. (not required to be clean) – 2 points
Clean Highlights are neat, drybrushing is appropriate; inking is controlled and not sloppy – 1 point
More than one layer of highlight, which include shading, highlights over inking, blending, etc – 1 point
Highlights have been blended, shaded, or layered well - beyond the basic highlighting techniques of drybrushing and inking – 1 point
Highlights have been masterfully blended, shaded, or layered – 2 points
Overall appearance is amazing! Everything works great together to create an awesome scene – 2 points

Basing

Bases have basing materials (flock/sand/tiles) or details painted on them – 2 points
The bases have multiple basing materials (rocks/grass), extra details painted on them (cracks in tiles), or if extra basing is inappropriate, basing is done very well (eg. rolling desert dunes) – 1 point
All models are in the appropriate movement trays, including Skirmish units – 4 points
All movement trays are painted, flocked and finished appropriate to the army bases – 2 points
Basic based & highlighted or detailed display base – 1 point
Display base finished to a very high standard the matches the army – 3 points

Conversions

Minimal: The army has some elementary conversions (head and weapon swaps, arm rotations) or a couple interesting swaps – 2 points
Minor:Units have multi-kit conversions including head and weapon swaps. This is for more than a few models such as a unit. – 3 points
Major:The army has some difficult conversions that use things such as putty, plastic card, drilling, sawing, minor sculpts, etc. This could also apply to the entire army having very well done multi-kit conversions (see above) – 4 points
Extreme: The army has some extreme conversions, which could be: a scratch built conversion or sculpt of an entire model, a large amount of models with difficult conversions (see above), or the entire army is extremely converted – 5 points

edit- full pack posted as above

Last edited by Lord Malketh on Tue May 27, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Southcon WHFB Player Pack
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:52 am 

So can you explain the list comp a bit better? What are the battle point modifiers? If I use 5 warlocks, 10 shades and 2 bolt throwers does that mean I use all of the comp points up?
Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:55 am 

Good job, T-Bird.
When you say "You may choose up to 4 options out of each army pool. You may choose multiples of the same option", can we assume that the usual special and rare restrictions apply to that? Or could someone actually take (for example) 4 of their pool options that happened to be rare slot choices. I'm assuming not but it doesn't really read that way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:58 pm 

Yes all usual army restrictions still apply ie max 25% rares, max 2 of each etc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm 

Looking at Beastmen for this

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 pm 

Warpmaster wrote:
Looking at Beastmen for this

I expect to see gorgons and cygors!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:26 pm 

Brettonnians or High Elves for me I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:26 pm 

I'm a bit lost with the system. If I get it right, playing Dwarfs:
- I'm allowed to take up to 2400 pts following the usual restrictions (% core, special, rare, lords and heroes + no more than 2 of each choice)
- Of all the units listed in the pool , I may take 4 choices (including no more than 2 of each): e.g. I could take a cannon, an organ gun and a grudge thrower or 2 cannons/organ guns and 2 grudge throwers/flame cannons but NOT 3 cannons/grudge throwers/organ guns/flame cannons and 1 other. These units are more limited to balance the game.
- All the other entries in the army book, because they are not listed in the pool, just follow the normal restrictions (% core, special, rare, lords and heroes + no more than 2 of each choice)

I just have to make my list following those guidelines? Also, just make one list, not several of them?

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:09 pm 

I like it :D

Something different which will make people think a bit.

For dwarfs the grudgethrower is not really that good anymore. The list in general is very balanced, nothing is too OP and most options are pretty solid. The Flame Cannon is also not too OP at all and is not really a standard choice.

As one of the choices you could have instead:

Cannon,
Organ Gun,
0-(2 or 3) gyros,
MR of Groth One Eye (12' stubborn bubble; think stubborn multiple rangers, 4 gyros + small units of 10 thunderers/quarrellors with 4+, 5+parry on the charge),
2xrunes of slowness (on Irondrakes?).
Even 0-2 rangers/hammerers or MR Grungi (5+ shooting, Magic missile, +4 ward for bearer) could be included.

For Natcon I am thinking of bringing all these options 8). Might be a case of too few eggs in too many baskets though haha.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:51 am 

StarVagabond wrote:
- I'm allowed to take up to 2400 pts following the usual restrictions (% core, special, rare, lords and heroes + no more than 2 of each choice)
- Of all the units listed in the pool , I may take 4 choices (including no more than 2 of each): e.g. I could take a cannon, an organ gun and a grudge thrower or 2 cannons/organ guns and 2 grudge throwers/flame cannons but NOT 3 cannons/grudge throwers/organ guns/flame cannons and 1 other. These units are more limited to balance the game.
- All the other entries in the army book, because they are not listed in the pool, just follow the normal restrictions (% core, special, rare, lords and heroes + no more than 2 of each choice)

I just have to make my list following those guidelines? Also, just make one list, not several of them?

Cheers,
Alex

The example I gave was for rares. You can still select 3 of each special unit etc sorry for the confusion
So basically all the standard limitations for army selection out of the book as per usual
The "pool of 4" is in addition to the usual restrictions
So, you may take 3 cannons if you wish, but you will be restricted to only taking 1 further option out of the Dwarf pool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 am 

Lord Malketh wrote:
StarVagabond wrote:

Cheers,
Alex

The example I gave was for rares. You can still select 3 of each special unit etc sorry for the confusion
So basically all the standard limitations for army selection out of the book as per usual
The "pool of 4" is in addition to the usual restrictions
So, you may take 3 cannons if you wish, but you will be restricted to only taking 1 further option out of the Dwarf pool

Thank you! All clear now :D And I won't take 3 cannons ^^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 am 

With the BSB's able to take all mundane options, does this include Wood Elf Kindreds?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 pm 

Does the vp bonus/minus also apply to things like killing the general, capturing standards etc or is it just to destroying units?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:25 pm 

Cursemydice wrote:
Does the vp bonus/minus also apply to things like killing the general, capturing standards etc or is it just to destroying units?

The bonus/discount only applies to destroyed units.
The General, BSB, Standard bonuses are not affected

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm 

Just an FYI, the new Wood Elves book WILL be used at Southcon. Its up for pre order on the 26th and hits the street on the 3rd