South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Southcon 2015 - Bolt Action
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:22 pm 

Hi guys,
just to let you know that we will be having Bolt Action again this year at Southcon.

Same basic formula as last year, but an increase in points from 750 to 1000.

Draft rules are as follows - I welcome any comments and/or suggestions. Final rules will be uploaded to the OMTS site next week.

Southcon 2015 Tournament rules are as follows:

Depending on entries and players, this will be Axis vs. Allies (if at all possible)

Rules – Bolt Action rules for each game will be as the most recent FAQ/Errata (available on the Warlord Forum).
Tournament Length - Each player will play 5 games lasting no more than 2 hours each – each game completing the turn in progress when the time is up.
Scenarios - The games each player will be allowed to field up to 1000 points and the game will be played in the following order:
1. Envelopment (p108 main rule book)
2. Point defence (p112 main rule book)
3. Hold until relieved (p114 main rule book)
4. Top secret (p115 main rule book) – an ‘objective’ will be provided for use in this scenario.
5. The final game will be Maximum Attrition (p110 main rule book)
Forces
Players must use a force of no more than 1,000 points.
The force must consist of at least one Reinforced Platoon, but you may have no more than two.
The platoons in the force must be selected using the army list section of any one of the following supplement books:
- Armies of Germany.
- Armies of United States.
- Armies of Great Britain.
- Armies of the Soviet Union.
- Armies of Imperial Japan.
- Armies of France and the Allies.
- Armies of Italy and the Axis.
Each platoon must be formed either according to the generic reinforced platoon selector (see page 124 of the BA rulebook) or one of the theatre selectors from the chosen supplement book.
Players are allowed to mix platoons from different theatre selectors (from the same book) into a single force. For example, you could have one generic British reinforced platoon alongside one taken from a Market Garden selector.
Players may field a maximum of 12 units within the points limit specified for each game.
A list of the force you intend to use for your 1000 point force must be supplied to the referees prior to starting the first game on the day of the competition.
Any player may request to view the army list of any other player at any time.

Tournament Points - Once the time is up or the game is finished, victory is determined by objectives held.
If the game has not finished and a winner cannot be determined by objectives held, then a winner will be decided as that player who has destroyed the highest points value of opposing forces.
Each player then accrues ‘Tournament Points’ for that game: 3 points for a win; 2 points for a draw; 0 points for a Loss.

Casualty Points - During each game, each player should keep a running total of the total points value of opposing forces they have destroyed. This total may be used to adjudicate the winner of any game where victory cannot be determined by objectives held. This total should be checked and corroborated by the opposing player and referee for that game.
The total points value of opposing forces that a player has destroyed in all games so far played is the players ongoing ‘Casualty Points’ total, which may be used to adjudicate player matching in subsequent games after the first, as well as final tournament placing.

Game Matching - Match-up for the first game will be decided by random draw.
Tournament Placing - At the end of the final game, Tournament position will be determined according to the following criteria:
Descending Tournament Point value;
If 2 or more players have the same TP total, order is determined in descending Casualty Point total for those players;
If 2 or more players have the same TP and Casualty Point total then:
If those players have played each other during the tournament, then the winner of any such match will be placed above the loser when determining tournament position;
If those players have not played each other during the tournament, then the players take joint tournament position.

Post subject: Re: Southcon 2015 - Bolt Action
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:23 pm 

"Players are allowed to mix platoons from different theatre selectors (from the same book) into a single force. For example, you could have one generic British reinforced platoon alongside one taken from a Market Garden selector. "

This is close to a deal-breaker for me. Bad enough that it is basically an unrestricted tournament.
Can somebody enlighten me why this is a good idea?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:01 pm 

I posted this up because I'm asking for feedback.
Please explain why this is such a bad idea?
It is different from what we had last year.

We have no "power players" down this way, is it likely we'll attract any?

I am open to suggestions for improvements, the reason it's included was to make it accessible.

Thanks
Sheady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:27 am 

I am just wondering how you came up with this in the first place. It is a weird rule.
Especially combined with the 12 unit maximum - is there any way somebody would use two different selectors anyway under these circumstances?

I would only allow more than one platoon if they both use the general selector, if at all (I actually prefer single platoon fights if you are not playing at least 1250 points). Otherwise a Soviet player can field up to 4 Sniper Teams using 2 Stalingrad Platoons, and he can get decent squads and tanks on top of that (For example 2 A-19 Field Guns or 2 T-34). I don't want to play against a list with 4 Snipers and 2 T-34. Or 4 A-19 Field Guns (with a double Seelow High platoon). Or 3 Sniper and 3 A-19 with one Seelow Hights and one Stalingrad Platoon (and still 550 points to spend on other stuff)...

British on the other hand have exactly two selectors which allow to field more than what's allowed in the general selector anyway - Behind enemy lines and Market Garden, both not having access to any tanks or SPGs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:50 pm 

Another question, is the tournament WYSIWYG? If yes, this should be in the rules.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:55 pm 

Okay, that makes more sense now.
The rules are actually from the bolt action site.

How would you proceed?

Thanks
Sheady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:51 am 

Well, one way would be to not allow Selectors at all. Make all platoon generic, that disables most shenanigans. Then you can leave everything else as it is.
A maximum of 2 platoons and 12 units makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:58 pm 

I have gone back to my rules from last year and amended them.
Thoughts?

Southcon 2015 Tournament rules are as follows:

Depending on entries and players, this will be Axis vs. Allies (if at all possible)

Rules – Bolt Action rules for each game will be as the most recent FAQ/Errata (available on the Warlord Forum).
Tournament Length - Each player will play 5 games lasting no more than 2 hours each – each game completing the turn in progress when time is up.
Forces & Scenarios - The games each player will be allowed to field up to 1000 points
The force must consist of at least one Reinforced Platoon, but you may have no more than two.
The games will be played in the following order:
1. Envelopment (p108 main rule book)
2. Point defence (p112 main rule book)
3. Hold until relieved (p114 main rule book)
4. Top secret (p115 main rule book) – an ‘objective’ will be provided for use in this scenario.
5. The final game will be Maximum Attrition (p110 main rule book)

In either case, your force may be drawn from either: the main rule book, or; the army book – you may not mix and match from both – one or the other only.
Players may field a maximum of 12 units within the points limit specified for each game.
A list of the force you intend to use for your 1000 point force must be supplied to the referees prior to starting the first game on the day of the competition.

Any player may request to view the army list of any other player at any time.

Tournament Points - Once the time is up or the game is finished, victory is determined by objectives held.
If the game has not finished and a winner cannot be determined by objectives held, then a winner will be decided as that player who has destroyed the highest points value of opposing forces.
Each player then accrues ‘Tournament Points’ for that game: 3 points for a win; 2 points for a draw; 0 points for a Loss.

Casualty Points - During each game, each player should keep a running total of the total points value of opposing forces they have destroyed. This total may be used to adjudicate the winner of any game where victory cannot be determined by objectives held. This total should be checked and corroborated by the opposing player and referee for that game.
The total points value of opposing forces that a player has destroyed in all games so far played is the players ongoing ‘Casualty Points’ total, which may be used to adjudicate player matching in subsequent games after the first, as well as final tournament placing.

Game Matching - Match-up for the first game will be decided by random draw.
Tournament Placing - At the end of the final game, Tournament position will be determined according to the following criteria:
Descending Tournament Point value;
If 2 or more players have the same TP total, order is determined in descending Casualty Point total for those players;
If 2 or more players have the same TP and Casualty Point total then:
If those players have played each other during the tournament, then the winner of any such match will be placed above the loser when determining tournament position;
If those players have not played each other during the tournament, then the players take joint tournament position.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:02 pm 

Allowing theatre selectors is opening up the tourney to some very OP list. Not that I am a power gamer, but it could make for a very crappy game for me facing someone whom has shown up with a dodgy Japanese theatre selector list. Maybe I missed it, but are armoured platoons allowed, or is it infantry reinforced platoon only?

Cheers
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:09 pm 

If the tournament is anything like it was last year there were no power gamers there. Every game I had was enjoyable, and no one had an OP list - as far as I can remember, the selectors were open but everyone bought a generic list. I'd say it was more on the fun (as opposed to competitive) side of tournaments.

In saying that, it seems that the posters so far want things a bit controlled so I would be happy to have just the generic reenforced platoon and to ban selectors.

I think it is infantry reenforced platoon only, but I'll leave David to answer that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:15 pm 

Hi guys,
I was not going to include either the Tank War armoured platoons or the beta aircraft rules.

In respect to the various army books, I already have an entry from a player using the Russian list to create a Spanish Civil war army.
I will be approving it for use at Southcon.
I have no reservations about it's use and no, he hasn't included any KV1's...

regards
Sheady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 am 

I played my last couple of games in Germany and people there are rather prone to build min-max lists for tournaments. If that's not an issue over here I hope it will stay that way. But there is always the possibility that someone will take it to the extreme.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:28 am 

Hi there, when do lists need to be in by? Also has there been a lot of interest for bolt action at south con?

Im pretty keen to come down for it I can bring either Soviets or Germans, is there a good ratio of axis/allies players so far?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:51 pm 

Hi, please send any army lists to me.
We have 12 entries at the moment.
I can't say categorically what number of Axis vs. Allies - not everyone has specified yet.

Cheers
Sheady

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:36 am 

ok cool, im all signed up for it and i have sent you my list through PM. Cheers!