South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:03 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 40k Conquest attendance 2010-2013
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:47 pm 

Yup, i'm that bored.

Or rather, numbers are down in 40k this year. A number of people have told me why they can't make it (mostly these things called "growing up", "having kids", "buying a house", "university exams" and "being responsible with money") but i wanted to understand how that actually changed the numbers.

At 1st i started messing around in a word file and found that ~13 "regulars" at 40k events in chch wouldn't be making it. These are all people based in either Dunedin, Invercargill, Greymouth or Westport, and for the them the combo of travel and real life was too much.

that brings us up to ~39 (26 registered and ~13 reasons for not being here) last year we had ~40 people so it makes sense.

then, because now i was really curious, i started putting together a record of who's been with us since 2010. i suppose i could back further but i didn't even make it to NZ until 2009, so it's hard to care about "ancient history" :lol:

so here's a link to my spreadsheet with who's been with us and for how long

wonder if we should have some sort of longevity award or an "older timers" grudge match

Post subject: Re: 40k Conquest attendance 2010-2013
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:02 pm 

That's right, top of the list for me (even if it's a list of sad b***ards with a geeky habit lol)

I"ve played every one since 2005, and yeah there's always that hard core of us there pretty muh every year. Masochists the lot of us!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:05 pm 

Steve gulliver moved to Australia last year..
James stott I think ran a couple of conquests.

I think that along with "real life" the other main reason for drop off in numbers is people swapping to warmachine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:10 pm 

AXEBLADE wrote:

I think that along with "real life" the other main reason for drop off in numbers is people swapping to warmachine

The major Warmachine drop-off was at the start of 5th edition. I agree with Wes that the drop is the out-of-towners having real-life get in the way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:16 pm 

Silly exams, getting in the way of my wardollies.

Michael Campion hasn't played a game for ages, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Last edited by Plebble-Burt on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:17 pm 

Call it a study break

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:26 pm 

AXEBLADE wrote:
Call it a study break
Next year, I will be (barring an exam on the weekend itself). I won't have to drive in from Dunedin next year though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:03 pm 

Hi Everybody

Interesting stuff, thanks Wes
The variation in players in 40k isn't anything new. It's been the most random in player numbers at Conquest over the years.
If anyone interested here's the figures:

2003 32
2004 30
2005 40
2006 28
2007 41
2008 38
2009 28
2010 28
2011 28
2012 40

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:43 pm 

I've just finished listening to the 11th Company Podcast, they are finding their GT numbers are down all over the West Coast of the US.

Their UK portion have also been lamenting about how previously sold out GT's are only getting about 60% attendance.

Not necessarily linked, it seems you may have found the reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:23 pm 

The 40k scene in Wellington was in the process of collapsing when i arrived in early 2009. By the time i moved to Christchurch in late 2010, it was all but dead. The reasons were:

- 4 Babies
- 3 divorces (well 2 and a break up of a long term couple that had planned to marry)
- 2 people moving far enough away that it was a pain to get to the club
- the lack of young blood at the club

the last can be traced to the attitude of the older players and the focus on making really hard "competitive" lists to face each other, rather than more casual, pick up games.

There was a campaign the year after i left that brought a few people out but once it was done, everyone disappeared (sorry, Fantasy and other games are fine but 40k at the Warlords in Wellington is pretty dead from what i understand)

So yeah, if a large enough % of the 40k players are at the "buy a house/have a kid" stage of their lives, then i can see not having the time and the money for events.

the rise of the internet and it's effect on the sort lists people bring to big events is another issue entirely. i can see casual players, who weren't trying to "break the game" having less interest in turning up to play at a big event if they felt that most of the lists there would be "net lists" designed to take advantage of every scrap of rule possible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:38 am 

Nobody else has mentioned it so I will,
there seems to be far fewer new players, especially younger ones now than when I started. I'm certain this largely has to do with the price point of models from GW, possibly along with reasons Wes mentioned above.

I feel that if GW continue on the path they are on, that in 5-10 years thier flagship game will die a death through lack of new blood and life getting in the way of the existing player base. Time will tell I guess but it would make me very sad if GW let it get to that point.

Never mind, if it gets to that point there are plenty of other great game systems to pick up and the quality of the models in those systems is starting to catch up to (if not surpass) that of GW.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:01 pm 

Also, Flangenabber smells bad and is keeping is scaring them off lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:43 am 

I agree with Flangenabber....

Also the insane release schedule of GW at the moment. My wallet just cant keep up....

Its nice to have lots of new things, but in the past we had time for each codex release to settle and find its place before the next release.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 pm 

I asked someone that played last year, why they weren't coming and they said they didn't know about it!

First I would guess they haven't figured out it's on every year.

Then I realised that the only reason I knew about it, was thanks to a wargaming newsletter from Rob Shirley (As I've been too busy to go to club days).

I don't even know how I got on the mailing list, but it's great, every now and then an email comes in, and I have a look to see if I can make it to the next event.

Maybe a bit of spam to previous attendees could help? Link them with the newsletter and the forums if they're not already?

I went into Comics to get my 'free ticket', I probably missed it but was the poster about the event big enough?, were flyers given out with each wargaming purchase in the months leading up? Did anyone spending under $150 get the up-sell to push for a 'free ticket'?

How did total attendees compare? Are we just losing 40k players to other gaming systems?

Maybe next year have a juniors section, 1000pt games any paint condition and 2000pt (or escalation upto) seniors with 3 colour min?

What about an Apoc tournament, 1 game per day, 4 entries/teams only, 5k+ pts per side, winners battle it out on the second day?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:04 pm 

I think that's a fair criticism, Its something I mentioned to Wes as well. We were slack at getting it out there this year, combination of other stuff going on and a bit of lethargy on my part.

Instore we have already talked about doing better next year including getting back to some of the basics we used to do. A booklet that we hand out, bigger posters, standing up at the clubs etc.

Bearing in mind that we will be heavily involved in the Nationals next year so we will either be completely burnt out or full of enthusiasm when it comes to Conquest.

It can never be a case of if we run they will come and I think we fell into that a wee bit this year.

Cheers

Tim