South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:29 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Conquest Numbers over the Years
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:27 am 

I think it would be interesting to see attendance numbers broken down by city of origin on the long/regular weekends (though I suspect such a thing might be impossible). On the other hand Labour day is always right before exams for most students and an earlier date might help the attendance. I think it comes down to numbers of players total vs. number of out-of-towners.

I missed the 1st, 5th, and 8th Conquests (exams + living in Dunners) and always thought it was the best tournie weekend (well behind TAGCon obviously). I think I've played 3 editions of Kiddy K, 7th Fantasy, FoW, Blood Bowl, and possibly WM/H.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:11 am 

TheDead wrote:

. For people in Auckland, Wellington and Dunedin it shouldn't pose to much of a problem as CHCH is a main flight destination and cheap flights are easy to pick up.

Flights are even cheaper when booked outside of holiday weekends so could be a bonus to travellers when not a Labour weekend.
As mentioned above ....plenty of notice re the date is a must.

Back in the mists of pre history there was dis-organised group travel where convoys would descend on Dunedin and the local vintage was much consumed with the goal of winning the Drunk & Disorderly Shield.

Last edited by Brian on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:08 pm 

wonkyperm wrote:
right before exams for most students

This was a large part of why I didn't attend. It's hard to devote enough time to justify attending in between school and work around exam time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:40 am 

Any closer to getting a date? Sorry to ask but I have to plan so far in advance with having owning my own business.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:40 pm 

Sorry for the late reply.

I'll pop comics and ask if i'm running 40k again, and if so, when they'd like me to run it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:47 pm 

@wes I can give you a hand if you want one. I should be coming down for the weekend to play but I can happily play FOW or Warmahordes (which I might be doing anyway)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:17 am 

After a quick chat with the team at Comics, they're still trying to finalise a date but it'll be either the labour weekend or the weekend after.

i'll still be running 40k, and while i'll probably pick several brains (including yours Higgins) i'll do the "heavy lifting" and run the event myself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:08 pm 

for me long weekends are a fight to go for family time. not being on labour weekend is fine as it works and flights are cheaper for people flying in.

My first conquest was 2004.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:02 am 

I always find it hard to get long weekends due to only time to get away with family. So for what it's worth would prefer it on a normal weekend to reduce clashes etc. I have heard some others from out of town say similar with partners that normally work weekends and as such only chance to get away is long weekends which precludes them from coming.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:58 am 

Personally, i actually prefer to have tournaments on a long weekend. Means I get one day off not gaming and get to spend one day with the wife.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 am 

Hooch wrote:
Personally, i actually prefer to have tournaments on a long weekend. Means I get one day off not gaming and get to spend one day with the wife.

Agreed, I also feel less drained not having to go back to work the day after an event.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:20 am 

I'm with Hooch here; not having it on a regular weekend means i get to play dollies AND see my wife, however numbers have historically been up when the event was held on different weekends. It's going to come down to venue availability and should be sorted in the next ~10 days or so. i'll have the new Conquest 40k thread up with the dates as soon as i know them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:34 pm 

Hard call. coming from Wellington, travel's a bit of an issue for me, but getting a late friday flight is not difficult just requires a fair amount of forward planning.

non-labour day makes for a very hectic weekend if i don't take at least 1 days leave. I can take a day's leave to get a long weekend with family, but i'm less likely to take 4+ days off from family obligations now than i was previously.

That being said, October for me is MILES away and I can't make a solid statement either way. :)

So I'm not really much use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:29 pm 

I'll confirm now that myself (and whatever carload I bring with me) won't make labour weekend.

To me the logic of getting to spend one day with the wife/partner over a long weekend seems off. My wife and kids would rather we were there the whole weekend then we could plan to go away and visit rallies or have a short holiday away. Plus this year we also have Nats falling in Easter and the normal Southcon falling on queens birthday.

Also wouldn't mind knowing how many other partners would rather have us over a long weekend than just one day over one. I know where my partner stands :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:48 pm 

I can't speak for Hooch, but when i say i like the long weekend, it's because if the tourney is on a normal weekend, then my wife doesn't see me (more or less). The long weekend means that she gets a day (instead of no days) even though i get to play with toys.

i understand you won't all feel the same

it's not up to me though, it's up to the bookings at the St Albans club. if it's free on a weekend other than the long one, then that's the weekend it'll be.