South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:45 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 40k Feeback
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:44 pm 

Yeah, a super heavy only league could allow for an unbound format. When I think of unbound, my image is of a specific army, not a configuration of all the best units from all races in 40k history, btw.
I like the under 18 idea. I played Aiden, no Aaron and he is a fine young man. Very witty commentary. Good on ya Zane for geting the young uns into it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:50 pm 

Great tournament, thanks a lot Wes for the event.

Had an excellent time and learnt a lot about the other armies that well, would have been helpful to know before half my force was dead, but I suppose that is what being a n00b is all about.
Anyway, I quite liked the mission set up, it gave me a chance to still try get some points if I couldn't do the primary. Despite four of my five games being either tabling or getting tabled, it was still interesting.
As for superheavies, I didn't mind the big fella's, they added something new to the game for me, I come up against two and managed to kill them both, but being Tau I usually have enough firepower to take out most things, nevertheless they made me think a little differently.
I'd be keen on an under 18 category, it might give me and my mates an actual chance of competition victory, but pitting n00bs against n00bs could mean its less of a learning experience but that'd be fine for those of us that can't quite face some of the more tested lists yet.
Anyway cheers all for being good sport, and looking foward to the next event, whatever that may be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:50 pm 

Hi Wes,

pehaps I'm a little slow in the response here ;€), but for 2 cents;

I loved the event, despite getting pretty well obliterated by most. I like the idea of 'take a super-heavy = unbound', but still having to adhere to a force org chart, so we don't end up with too much 'silly stuff'. Not saying that I'd like to play with the U18s, but let's face it, I was crap, and most of them are far more experienced gamers than I am at 40, and I think we all found our level after the second game. But maybe a prize to the best U18 would be a good idea.

I liked the secondary objectives, but found that in most of the games that I and my sprogs played, the difference between a near draw, and nil points was very close. i.e. you could be close on both the primary and the secondary objectives, and still come up 9-0 down. If you could score the Primary, Secondary and any Tertiary objectives, so that if you got some of them, you got some points, I think it would be a fairer reflection on the game. The only game I did win, I only did so, by 'stealing' the game in the last turn, winning by a fair bit, despite the game being so close, and I didn't enjoy that much (just didn't want Connor's spoon).

Ta for all your work on the event, and great to hear you'll be running the next one.

Rich.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:23 pm 

Ok, I've reviewed all the rules for last year, and this is more of a guide for Conquest 2015, but;
Can a supplement list take units from Forgeworld that say for Codex:parent list?
e.g. Can a Farsight Enclaves Detachment, take XV9s from IA3, or a XV109
Can a Iyanden Detachment take vehicles from IA11 (Firestorm/Warp Hunter etc.)

I know I'm keen, but my OCD's kicking in.

Likely to have a few more players from our gaming club next year, as they're all getting better at their 600 point lists now, not too much transition for them (I just can't sport 20 1850 point armies for them to play with).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:10 pm 

It depends on the wording of each respective unit.
farsight can get XV9 and XV 104, however by RAW cannot get XV109 (RAI seems to say yes).
Yes Iyanden gets the vehicles from IA11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:49 pm 

I'm happy for "Tau" to use all "Tau" things regardless of whether they're using a supplement or not provided there's not explicit restriction on them using it (so sure, Iyanden can take units from IA12 unless the Iyanden supplement says "cannot take wraithseers" for example)

Hope that helps Rich. I'll probably consider putting up rules for Conquest around April/May but expect something in the 1750 range, along with greater emphasis on Maelstrom missions (at the expense of Eternal War missions)

Glad to hear things are going well at the school club.