South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:28 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warcloulds feedback Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:17 am 

Just a thread for feedback on the event.

Keep comments constructive

Post subject: Re: Warcloulds feedback Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 am 

Only thing I noticed was missions being on the sheet of paper we handed in too Mike. Suppose we could have ripped them off, but eh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:14 pm 

It all went very smoothly. Hard to think of anything to suggest in the way of improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:35 pm 

Biggest problem was over the bar staff and how they passed on information or rather not passed on information.

no a member of club in Christchurch member of RSA in Temuka did not have idea on me. . could not by beer unless signed in by member of club this only told to me after I found 40k umpire and had a go. very close to asking for money back and tell CWC to go do things with event.

getting this fixed for next year would be important as this event gets people from not only cwc but out side of Christchurch to come and play. if going to be tread this way by the workings men club. not going to attend again and will suggest to others that this event not worth going to. I would hate for this to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm 

Troll wrote:
Biggest problem was over the bar staff and how they passed on information or rather not passed on information.

no a member of club in Christchurch member of RSA in Temuka did not have idea on me. . could not by beer unless signed in by member of club this only told to me after I found 40k umpire and had a go. very close to asking for money back and tell CWC to go do things with event.

getting this fixed for next year would be important as this event gets people from not only cwc but out side of Christchurch to come and play. if going to be tread this way by the workings men club. not going to attend again and will suggest to others that this event not worth going to. I would hate for this to happen.

This has nothing to do with CWC. The lady who was serving on Sunday is not really friendly effectively (I've experienced that when I've started coming to Woolston club). But on the other hand that is their policy so she is not doing anything wrong. She could be nicer though >< Anyway, if this is enough for stopping you coming to Warclouds, that is a shame because it's a great tourny. Just ask someone else to go buy the beer for you (make sure it's not missing half the content when you get it though :P )

I don't know about the other game systems, but for Fantasy I agree with Ray: it went really smoothly and was well organised.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:32 pm 

It was Saturday when this happened. and it not all about the gaming it about the people and where it is held and how they treat people. and being that is what would keep me away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:37 pm 

Suggestion:
For all those that aren't members of Woolston, have a temporary membership done up for the player that gets presented to them when they get their name badge.

Or see if the club will accept the name badge as a temporary membership.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 pm 

Hobby Hub wrote:
Suggestion:
For all those that aren't members of Woolston, have a temporary membership done up for the player that gets presented to them when they get their name badge.

This wouldn't constitute legal membership in terms of the Act unfortunately.

People just need to understand that the club operates under a different type of liquor license to a normal bar that anyone can wander into and buy a drink. If you want to be served alcohol at a members club you have to meet the requirements under a club licence:

1. Be a member of that club (membership card required to be produced)
2. Be a member of another club with reciprocal rights (membership card required to be produced)
3. Be signed-in as a guest by a member of that club

Whether the bar person was friendly or grumpy is beside the point, although admittedly I do recall one particular barmaid at Woolston who always looks like a bulldog chewing wasps and doesn't exactly add to the ambience of being there. The bar staff do have a right to make sure the person they're serving meets the requirements of being a 'member' or a guest, because it literally can cost them their job if they get caught out in a licensing visit.

It's a good point to raise for the committee to perhaps meet with club bar staff to work out the most streamlined way of getting non-members signed in as guests, but at the same time I'd suggest before anyone goes on the rant about it to understand that restrictive rules apply to bar staff at clubs as to who they can or can't serve, so it's fair enough that they are strict about it.

edited for typos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:59 am 

Yea everything was fine. I got a beer on the Sunday and had to sign in just asked the first person I seen he was like yea sure mate signed me in and boom walked away with a jug. Only about 1 minute of my time it for sure wouldn't stop me from attending!!! And she told me its 2k fine for them if they break the rules so I'd be very strict on or "bulldog chewing wasps" :) about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:34 am 

I actually think the venue was very nice :D Last year, we were upstairs like usual club days and it was a bit crowded :P The room we were in this year was actually really nice!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:38 am 

after I was told by the umpire that I need to this I did and got my beer. it more the staff not tell me this and walking a way to get a drink for a regular,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 am 

DaveH wrote:

People just need to understand that the club operates under a different type of liquor license to a normal bar that anyone can wander into and buy a drink. If you want to be served alcohol at a members club you have to meet the requirements under a club licence:

1. Be a member of that club (membership card required to be produced)
2. Be a member of another club with reciprocal rights (membership card required to be produced)

Whether the bar person was friendly or grumpy is beside the point, although admittedly I do recall one particular barmaid at Woolston who always looks like a bulldog chewing wasps and doesn't exactly add to the ambience of being there. The bar staff do have a right to make sure the person they're serving meets the requirements of being a 'member' or a guest, because it literally can cost them their job if they get caught out in a licensing visit.

It's a good point to raise for the committee to perhaps meet with club bar staff to work out the most streamlined way of getting non-members signed in as guests, but at the same time I'd suggest before anyone goes on the rant about it to understand that restrictive rules apply to bar staff at clubs as to who they can or can't serve, so it's fair enough that they are strict about it.

edited for typos

Thanks Dave, that's interesting to know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 am 

DaveH wrote:
Hobby Hub wrote:
Suggestion:

If you want to be served alcohol at a members club you have to meet the requirements under a club licence:

It's a good point to raise for the committee to perhaps meet with club bar staff to work out the most streamlined way of getting non-members signed in as guests,

That's what I was trying to do but probably got the terminology wrong.

Once the procedure is set, put it in a posting here for each Warclouds so people know what to expect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:01 am 

I know they probably can't do it due to their license but if the bar could open earlier (like when I walk in the door) then I would buy more beer from them.
I know I'm not alone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:29 am 

You're right Axeblade, hours of opening are dictated by laws and license conditions not club policy. The clubs main income is from selling booze so I'm pretty sure they'd happily pour you beer at 8am if they were allowed to :wink:

For future tourneys maybe it'd be worth having a few lines on the entry packs explaining the bar hours/rules so everyone knows what's expected in order to be served. And for all the attendees who aren't members of that or a reciprocal club (eg St Albans Shirley) maybe it's possible for one of the hosting committee to obtain the guest sign-in book from the bar and have it at the registration table to get people signed-in at the start of the day?