It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Natcon 2013 Info
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 pm 

For those interested in attending all info is located here

http://www.huttclub.co.nz

Post subject: Re: Natcon 2013 Info
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:40 pm 

Anyone know anything about numbers yet?.Info coming out about Natcon is next to nothing :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm 

From the NZ wargaming yahoo list:

National wargames Convention Easter 2013
Posted by: "allen yaxley" allenyaxley@yahoo.com.au allenyaxley
Date: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:59 pm ((PST))

Hello everyone,

Situation is as follows,

Warmachine: 11 entered . This event will go ahead . Richard Tolley , Chris Ford, Jarod Carmichael,Chong Sin Lim & Mike Thorn are entries to be paid.

FOG Napoleonics; 6 entered. Kendall Blue to pay, Requires 2 more to proceed.

Fog 15mm Ancients; 6 entered & paid, requires 2 more to proceed.

Malifaux; doubtful , only two paid entries.

Warhammer 40,000;6 entries, Jordan Green Alex Cutforth to pay , requires two more to proceed.

Warhammer Fantasy; 13 entered, Sam Whitt , Hamish Gordon , Brendon Johnson , James Millington & Charlie Lloyd to pay.

DBMM 25MM Ancients; 11 entered , Ivan Truong to pay.

FOW, 18 entered, Warren Hart, Mark Stanton,Andrew Stanton, Simon Mcbeth, Alexander Martin, Callum Martin, Nick Garden & Matt Martin to pay.

Would all those who have registered but not yet paid their Entry Fee please do so.

15 MM DBR, MAlifaux , FOG 15mm, FOGN & Warhammer 40K will not go ahead if the required minimum is not met.
Umpires are requested to follow up asap.

These figures may have changed by the time i have posted them so please dont e-mail & tell me you have paid. Contact the registrar if you have any doubts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm 

Why was this years Natcon not on either Forum of the City Guard forum ??

Also, what was the intent behind the restrictions on the tournament in general, and payment cut off dates being like 2 months before the event starts???

Or am I incorrect about the above.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:35 am 

I asked (on NZWD) for numbers in Warhammer prior to cutoff - largely because I travelled to Hamilton last year and there were only 12 participants - and was told that they wouldn't be released. When I asked why I was told not to tell them how to run their tournament :(

I understand that they have now extended early rego to 22 Feb (so $50 not $75).

After NatCon last year I published a blog post

http://www.thefieldsofblood.com/2012/04 ... -lady.html

I believe that (outside non-FoW historical games) it is losing its relevance as the community organises sufficient alternative events that fill the need. Yes, I am one of those organisers but I'd like to think we get attendance because we are more in tune with our specific communities and more responsive to their requirements.

The days of "if you build it they will come" are over and the nature of NatCon as it currently stands is probably in need of an overhaul.

Just my 2c

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 am 

6 for 40k and maybe not going ahead is pretty crazy - wonder whether having to bring along 4 terrain pieces influences that...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 am 

Quote:
I asked (on NZWD) for numbers in Warhammer prior to cutoff - largely because I travelled to Hamilton last year and there were only 12 participants - and was told that they wouldn't be released. When I asked why I was told not to tell them how to run their tournament :(

Saw the response you got Pete and its helped make my mind up on weather to go or not.Thought the response you got sounded as if they came from someone with mental health issues :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:09 pm 

Every time the nationals have been held down here in Christchurch they have been very successful, we had 175 players 5 years ago (including from USA and Australia) and there was 150+ at the one a couple years ago in a quake ravaged city. So is it a localised problem with the numbers, or are there other issues. I do believe there has been a saturation of events that does dilute the effect of the Nationals but it is one of the few (or only) 3 day tournaments that we have in NZ and has been ongoing for a number of years so I would be sad to see it decline to the point of extinction. To be fair to the guys currently running this years and also in Hamilton, they have picked up the ball and ran Natcom in their respective areas quite a lot now and I would be pretty burnt out by now with the whole thing. Here in Christchurch we happily have two clubs taking a turn every three years (though each club supports the other with logistics) so each club only has to do it every 6 years which helps keep the energy up for it.

One thing that I utterly despair in is the negative reinforcement approach of tournaments that increase the entry fee as the date gets closer. I am hoping to go to the Hutts Natcom but I wont be able to confirm until closer to the event due to work commitments, if the entry fee gets out of hand I wont bother as I'm sure many others will do as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 pm 

I think you are right and possibly the strength of regional competitions is actually affecting the Nationals; playing in WFB at the Nats is often no real difference to playing in a competition closer to home.

Smallest competiition (bar first Conquest) I've played in was WFB at Natcon Hamilton 2006 or 2007?: less than 10 and one of the players stepped in as the referee at the last minute. Still good fun though; we all got to play each other and a fun time was had

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm 

I do now prefer having a split payment cost as a general rule for Tournaments.

Wargamers are generally not very organised and the split payment forces a lot of hands to get themselves sorted earlier, which leaves the organises more time to plan and run the event.

having the majority payments turn up in the last week before cut off, then gives usually only two weeks to check everyone off and confirm things.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm 

Current figures for Fantasy (like always is subject to change) is 18 people :x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:33 pm 

For those of you interested the fantasy lists they can be found in the link below

http://www.thefieldsofblood.com/2013/03 ... lists.html