South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Natcon 2014 Fantasy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:45 pm 

Hi Everybody

I've volunteered to run next years Warhammer Natcon competition next Easter (April 18-21) and I'm currently thinking this: (Shamelessly stolen form Damons Conquest Thread)

General Format

• 2400pts, 8 rounds over 3 days.
• Run under the 8th Edition Warhammer Fantasy rule set.
• All armies must use an Army Book that has been published and released in New Zealand at least one (1) month before the commencement of the tournament.
• The Tamurkhan Throne of Chaos list will be used for the evil stunties.
• Dogs of War may be taken as an Army. They may take Regiments of Renown. The Ravening Hordes list will be used.
• Weapons, armour options and upgrades chosen from the army list must be shown on the majority of the models in a unit.
• Proxies are not allowed. If you are not sure then best to check with the umpire beforehand to avoid problems later.
A proxy is generally something that can be easily confused with something else - for instance a High Elf spearman that is painted in standard High Elf colors cannot be used as an Empire Halberdier. This is opposed to a "counts as" figure which provided it can't be mistaken for something else and you make sure opponent knows what is meant to be is fine.

Painted Armies
All models to be used must be painted to a minimum benchmark (at least three colours).
FAQ
• You cannot swift reform and enter a building in the same movement phase.
• Scouts do not give up the +1 for finishing deploying first.
• Line of sight; true line of sight will be used unless mutually agreed. Figures height should be considered generally representative of their type regardless of conversions, oddly angled barrels etc.
General Restrictions
MAGIC DICE
Power dice usage is limited to 12 in any one magic phase

Night Goblin Mushroom D6 do not count as "power dice" as per their Army book.
Chaos Dwarfs’ Chalice may not be used mid-spell.
Shard of the Herdstone dice do not count to the +2PD

LIST RESTRICTIONS
No single non character unit in the army may be over 500 points
No triple of the same warmachine except for Elven Bolt Throwers/O&G Spear Chukkas/Dwarf Bolt Throwers where you may take up to 4
Max 4 units with the ‘Fly’ or ‘Hover’ special rule.
The magic item “Fozzrik’s Folding Fortress” may not be taken.
Special Characters MAY be taken, but MUST be represented by the official figure. (If a figure for a special character hasn't been released then a figure that is as close as possible to its description may be used.)

FOB-Lite Composition
28 February 2014 Version

Race Specific Restrictions:
Skaven
• Hell Pit Abominations and Warp Lighting Cannons are 0-1 unit selection per army.
• A Screaming Bell or Plague Furnace may only be placed in a unit containing no more than 50 models.
• Gutter Runners units are 0 – 2 per army.
• Warlock Engineers are 0 – 3 models per army.
Tomb Kings
• Khalida is restricted to unit with 40 shots
Daemons of Chaos

Beasts of Nurgle restricted to maximum of 6 in list with Epidemius
Skullcannon 0-1 unit selection per army

Ogres
• Ironblaster 0 – 1 unit selection per army
• You may take either Dispel Scroll or Hellheart, not both
Dwarfs
• To Be Determined as the New book should be out. No restrictions at current time.
Chaos Dwarfs
• Magma Cannons are 0 – 1 choice
Warriors of Chaos
• Crown of Command may not be taken on model with Third Eye of Tzeentch

Army Lists:
Can people please try to get lists to me a fortnight before the event (so April 4th) although the absolute deadline will be April 11th.

Please submit them in an easy to read, fully itemized format. I need to see individual points costs for everything, as it makes my job a lot easier when checking them.

Example:
Generic Hero (80pts) with Heavy Armor (4pts), Shield (2pts) Sword of Mega Annihilation (50pts)
Total= 136pts

Unit: 20 Buttkickers (20@ 10pts each= 200pts), with Full Command ( Champion 10pts, SB 10pts, Muso 10pts =30pts total) Equipped with Extra Boots (Extra Hand Weapon) (2pts per figure= 40pts total)
Unit Total= 270pts.

Then please put in what you've spent in each army selection (Character, Core, Special, and Rare)
(No, I don't know what army this from. :) )

Please double check your math as it's very easy to make a mistake.

Lists will be open, and if I'm organized (which more than likely I won't be :roll: ) I'll post them up in their own thread.

Tournament Scoring
Each player will accumulate tournament points over the course of the three days comprising of the elements listed below.
Battle Points (70%):
The following VP table will be used to determine the points received by each player for their games.
Battle Points Earned
Victory Points
Winner Loser
0 – 199 10 10
200 – 349 11 9
350 – 499 12 8
500 – 699 13 7
700 – 899 14 6
900-1099 15 5
1100 – 1299 16 4
1300 – 1499 17 3
1500 – 1749 18 2
1750 – 1999 19 1
2000+ 20 0
Scenarios will be all from the rulebook, with no Battle for the Pass.
Blood and Glory and Watchtower will both be there.

Sportsmanship (20% of total)
Sportsmanship (15%):
After every game each player will enter a score (5/2/0) for their opponent’s sportsmanship throughout the game. A player's tournament points for sports are calculated by their opponent's responses to these questions.
The default score for any game will be a “5”.

[5] Your opponent gave you a decent amicable game or better. Your opponent was essentially in line with, or exceeded your expectations of another player’s behavior. Rule queries were decided amicably.

[2] Your opponent’s behavior clearly detracted from your ability to enjoy the game. They refused to resolve rules disputes amicably or displayed an unsavory attitude throughout the game. Whether too much gloating when winning or too much bitterness when things didn’t go their way. PLEASE NOTE calling over a TO for a rules dispute is regarded as an amicable outcome and should not be punished.

[0] Your opponent more than occasionally displayed behavior you would classify as border line cheating and was not what you expected to face at the tournament. Examples may include they employed a “rubber ruler”, applied differing rules interpretations to their sole advantage, stretched the rules when it suited etc. This score should be handed out only after careful consideration, and must be clarified with the TO.

You will also nominate a Best Opponent of the Day, which will determine the Best Sports award.

Painting (10%):
Painting will be marked during the tournament based on a check list. If you are someone who prefers modelling and converting to painting, there will be some recognition of that, but it is not a necessity to get maximum points. Players will be rewarded for making an attempt at highlighting, shading and detailing.
The checklist will be out of 30 points and anyone getting over 20 will get full painting marks. I will mark armies over the course of the weekend.
Armies not painted by the player using them will still be marked appropriately for their painting component, but will be ineligible to be voted for in the Players Choice category.
I'll try to get the Checklist up ASAP. There may be an award for any one who gets 100% on the checklist.

You will be able to vote on a favorite Army, which will determine the Best Painted award.

TIMETABLE:
Friday 3 rounds
Saturday 3 rounds
Sunday 2 rounds.

Time Table:
(May be subject to change depending on feedback)
Friday:
8.30 Natcon Competition Briefing
Competition Starts 9.00
9.00 - 11.30 Round One – Dawn Attack
11.30 - 12.00 LUNCH
12.00- 14.30 Round Two – Blood and Glory
14.45 - 17.15 Round Three – The Watchtower

Saturday
09.00 - 11.30 Round Four – Battleline
11.30 - 12.00 LUNCH
12.30 - 14.30 Round Five – Meeting Engagement
14.45 - 17.15 Round Six– Blood and Glory

Sunday
09.30 - 12.00 Round Seven – Battleline
12.00 - 12.30 LUNCH
12.30 - 15.00 Round Eight – Watchtower
15.30 - 16.00 Cleanup
16.00 Prize Giving

Blood & Glory and Watchtower scenarios will be used. The achievement of the scenario objective will be worth 600 VPs. Victory points will be determined as normal on top of this, however the scenario winner will score at least 11 points. The loser’s score is capped at 9 points
Blood & Glory will continue for six turns while Watchtower will have random game length as per the rulebook.
What do people think?

Is there anything you want from a Natcon competition that is different from any others?

Cheers

John

Last edited by GreatBoost on Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:57 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Natcon 2014 Fantasy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:19 pm 

What points size is used for NatCon?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:00 pm 

2400pts as it's the standard size at the moment.

Added this to the first post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 pm 

So would it be 2 each of the other scenarios and a couple extra battle line?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:46 pm 

GreatBoost wrote:
Is there anything you want from a Natcon competition that is different from any others?

Wandering giants or dragons or giants riding giant dragons.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 pm 

I'm a little bit disappointed that 3 scenarios won't be in the tournament. A sign of a good general is being able build a list that can compete in all aspects of the game, not just half of it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:15 pm 

Battle for the pass i can live without ,but i'm not sure why the other two are lift out

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 pm 

We had battle for the pass at CTA. it wasn't the best but was playable as the tables were only set up in 2's so you could wander around the table fairly easy. Large pieces of terrain ie buildings did cause some trouble though as they further choked up what was a relatively small deployment area.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 pm 

My current thinking with the scenarios is that Battle for the Pass is awkward for the players and we don't know what space is going to be like to move around, Watchtower requires specialized terrain, and requires modifying to make it playable in a tournament situation, and Blood and Glory either can end within minutes or requires modifying as well. I want to keep modifying stuff to a minimum, but want it a bit more interesting than Battle Line 8 times in a row.

The other 3 scenarios are all fairly straight forward and easy to run or play.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:07 pm 

GreatBoost wrote:
My current thinking with the scenarios is that Battle for the Pass is awkward for the players

You're right, it is.
In an event where tables are lined up end-to-end, Battle for the Pass is just irritating.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:17 pm 

wallacer wrote:
GreatBoost wrote:
My current thinking with the scenarios is that Battle for the Pass is awkward for the players

You're right, it is.
In an event where tables are lined up end-to-end, Battle for the Pass is just irritating.

Seconded.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:17 pm 

Blood and Glory is a scenario that makes people take standards, and Watch Tower helps prevents large anvil units as they cannot start the game in the tower.

Both of these scenarios help prevent certain army lists, not having these scenarios encourages some people to take those kinds of lists.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 am 

Uncle Al wrote:
Blood and Glory is a scenario that makes people take standards, and Watch Tower helps prevents large anvil units as they cannot start the game in the tower.

Both of these scenarios help prevent certain army lists, not having these scenarios encourages some people to take those kinds of lists.

Agreed.

Also, agree with the fact that Battle for the pass is not practical in a tournament situation.

Quote:
Blood and Glory either can end within minutes

That's also true for Dawn Attack who can even ends straight from the beginning if you are really unlucky with your deployment rolls :lol: (although this scenario is really funny to play and is a really good test for a general :D ).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:53 pm 

Agreed re: battle for the pass, it's a pain to play at tournies, though I love playing it.

I also really enjoy the blood and glory scenario as it's not just relying on killing, you have to kill certain things to win. It's easy to modify by saying that it's worth +500VP's if you 'break' the enemies army. Most armies will have at least 2 banners, a bsb, and a general anyway, so it's only people taking ridiculous lists that suffer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:46 pm 

Might be an idea to simply amend the magic phase to 12 max usage and retain the gobo and chaos dwarf clauses, considering doing the same with Conquest, though I really don't like amending the Pack with players registered.