South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:34 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NatCon 2016
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:18 am 

For the first time ever in the history of the event ( I could be wrong as I have never been to them all ) there was no bid for NatCon 2016.
Unbelievable :shock:

CWC Woolston here is your chance to save NatCon. :D

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

Post subject: Re: NatCon 2016
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:46 am 

Well
If no one has put their hand up for it. How about we hold it in Dunedin?
Linz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:51 pm 

Hi fellow South Island Gamers,

By now many of you will be aware that NatCon 2016 is being held in Dunedin Over Easter Weekend. Good Friday 25th march, Saturday 26th march, Sunday 27th March....

Three clubs are signed up to assist in running OMTS(dunedin); DGL(duedin); IMM (invercargill).With discussions with TAG (timaru) still open. All our clubs never usually get a shot at the Nationals so this is a special opportunity for us all.

However many of you might not be aware that due to having plenty of space and cost support we are hoping to make this a showcase of the many varied game format interests that are present in the South Island....Including Card and Board game Hobbies...We also have space for Hobby display Games etc

So this is an open invitation...If you can be a player umpire and get at least 3 others( 4 total min) to play we will provide you space and support for a one day tournament on the day of your choice....and if extras enter we will assist you in expanding it if you wish... We also have loads of one day events already planned for you and your friends to play in before or after your event....

So please dont delay....email me or ph for a quick chat before the official notice goes out in early September.

Richard Bell
Event Administrator
027 6950270 or belri833@outlook.com

PS...below is a list of the events so far confirmed or waiting confirmation...

Flames of War all periods
Warhammer 40K
Warmachine various formats
Dystopian Wars sea/land
Xwing
Star Wars armada
Imperial Assault
Saga
Impetus
The Hobbit/LOTR battle game.
Bolt Action
Wings Of Glory
Magic the gathering and other card game events in a designated card playing Hall.
PathFinder Society Roleplaying Events.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:48 pm 

Would love to get some more info on the PathFinder Society Roleplaying Events if possible?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 pm 

Hi,

When do you expect details of historical rule sets on offer at Natcon to be published?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:28 pm 

list of systems and points for NatCon 2016

http://omts.org.nz/nationals-2016/

Fantasy at 2000 points Kings of War.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:48 am 

Thanks for the link.
Looks like my NatCon Event will be played in Upper Hutt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:11 am 

Upper Hutt is not Natcon Brian. A few players may want to pretend it is but it's not. That said it's a shame that so few historical events are on offer. None of the normal Ancient or Renaissance rule sets, nore Napoleonic which has run for the last few years.

Time to get your fantasy armies out so you can attend Natcon in Dunedin, rather than a pretend event in the Hutt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:53 am 

Still no Pathfinder info.Need info before i commit to going :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:08 pm 

I cant see natcon doing to well with almost no historics. They traditionally make up more than half the field and travel for it.
Also I still see the likes of 40k and fantasy genres run over the days. Its been pretty unanimous that this is the reason for low numbers in these fields
A 1 day + a 2 day event would be far more suitable and cater to the majority, whilst also allowing some people to play multiple systems
Take a leaf out of adeptacons books

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:32 pm 

Lord Malketh wrote:
I cant see natcon doing to well with almost no historics. They traditionally make up more than half the field and travel for it.

I agree, an unusual situation.

I would have thought the Natcon organisers would have been able to get out of town umpires for some of these events. Last year there were 15mm Napoleonics, 15mm DBR, 15mm FOG and DBA Ancients as well as 25mm Ancients with DBMM. I see above there was a sort of open invitation for umpires but not sure if they tried other avenues.

The concept of having 25mm Ancients in Wellington was a mistake in my view, which may further dilute future Natcon events.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:16 pm 

Brian
I believe Upper Hutt/Wellington is only for 25mm Ancients. :roll:

And I do believe TWR is right, well said that man.

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:27 pm 

TWR wrote:
Upper Hutt is not Natcon Brian. A few players may want to pretend it is but it's not. That said it's a shame that so few historical events are on offer. None of the normal Ancient or Renaissance rule sets, nore Napoleonic which has run for the last few years.

Time to get your fantasy armies out so you can attend Natcon in Dunedin, rather than a pretend event in the Hutt.

I see four WWII and two Ancients Historical Events listed, so that's something I guess.

My problem is that I hold the Renaissance National Trophy, I would like to return it and participate in the National Champs of 2016.

So you are saying TWR that the event in Upper Hutt would not count as the Nationals ?
Would this mean that I should hold on to the Renaissance National trophy until the Christchurch ( Woolston ) NatCon 2017 ?

On a close look at the Trophy I note the Trophy name:

Auckland Wargaming Club
National Wargames Convention
Renaissance

I notice that there are a few missed years between Duncan Richards 1980 & myself 2015, so it has not been awarded every year.

The trophy title implies that it be awarded at National Conventions, so yes NatCon is the National Competition and as there is no Renaissance event being hosted there ( at this point in time ) I should retain the Trophy until 2017.

Comments welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:10 pm 

Well, I'm no expert but I would suggest that Natcon is a good starting point for determining allocation of a trophy. Is the Hutt event the Nationals? Perhaps Dunedin should offer a Renaissance competition?

I believe there are occasions where competitions have been held outside Natcon, including Nicon. No idea how this has been determined. Personally I would have thought it should be held at Natcon. If you don't why not run an event in your garage?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 pm 

Lord Malketh wrote:
Also I still see the likes of 40k and fantasy genres run over the days. Its been pretty unanimous that this is the reason for low numbers in these fields
A 1 day + a 2 day event would be far more suitable and cater to the majority, whilst also allowing some people to play multiple systems
Take a leaf out of adeptacons books

40K and KoW are only on the first 2 days.
They don't have a third day.
This allows people to enter another tourney or perhaps play their chosen game against a favourite opponent casually on the third day - assuming there is the space.

WarmaHordes has a 2 + 1 format.

Andrew