South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:06 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NatCon 2016
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 am 

TWR wrote:
Well, I'm no expert but I would suggest that Natcon is a good starting point for determining allocation of a trophy. Is the Hutt event the Nationals? Perhaps Dunedin should offer a Renaissance competition?

I believe there are occasions where competitions have been held outside Natcon, including Nicon. No idea how this has been determined. Personally I would have thought it should be held at Natcon. If you don't why not run an event in your garage?

Yes I agree TWR ,with comments such as this from the NZWD Yahoo Group the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Quote:
1b
Re: NZ Renaissance Championship 2016
Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:25 pm (PST) . Posted by:
"John Way" takedakiwi
Why would The Hutt need "the nod" from OTMS? They don't own a license to Renaissance wargaming in NZ.
Not that I really care. I am going to play Renaissance because its fun, not for bling.
John

With only a handful of Renaissance players in the South Island I can see why it was never an event at Dunedin.
Northerners would not travel and too few locals.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:38 am 

In the Autumn H&H there were 8 15mm Renaissance players from memory. Natcon DBR has run in Christchurch in the past. I have run a 15mm DBR event in Wellington as the Hutt Club is only ever interested in 28mm.

DBR very much had a chance of running in Dunedin if correctly handled. It has been hijacked by a self appointed junta.

It's a shambles however you look at it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:04 pm 

TWR wrote:
In the Autumn H&H there were 8 15mm Renaissance players from memory. Natcon DBR has run in Christchurch in the past. I have run a 15mm DBR event in Wellington as the Hutt Club is only ever interested in 28mm.

DBR very much had a chance of running in Dunedin if correctly handled. It has been hijacked by a self appointed junta.

It's a shambles however you look at it.

Then volunteer to run something yourself.

Still plenty of time for people to put their hand up to organise an event rather than sit back and complain.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:31 pm 

Uncle Al wrote:
Then volunteer to run something yourself.

I organise too many competitions every year as it is thanks very much, including many Natcon competitions over the years.

This years Natcon in Auckland looked like it was going to be a shambles, but it wasn't. Good venue and a bumper turn out of historical players. Dunedin may well see a lift in historical competitions on offer, though I suppose it is increasingly unlikely to be supported by those travelling. Perhaps the organisers are keeping their powder dry?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:40 pm 

Hi guys,

following discussions held at Conquest there are a group of us who would like to play 15mm FOG;AM in Dunedin at Natcon.

We will get at least 6 players from the south Island and hopefully some from the North Island as well.

We've already decided on the format of the competition and I'm happy to Umpire.

I'll message the organisers tomorrow to confirm,

Andre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:16 am 

Hi all,

For any interested parties....(summarized from other correspondence)

Tournament Events are being accepted for NatCon16 till December 20th..... hobby events till 1st march.

Player umpires are acceptable for "Tournament events of one day or less than 9 entries".... hobby and participation events can do what ever they can imagine space dependent.

Clarification with organizing key stake holders' the agreement with Wellington over DBA/R is 25mmm+ only....other scales can be accommodated as Tournaments, Hobby events have never been excluded nor will they. FOG will be welcome with open arms.

This nationals is focusing on bringing to the Event all forms of Table top gaming to create a truly special celebration of our whole Hobby...historical gaming included of course.

The detailed event planner on the website is a living document which is edited regularly and a reliable source of information...www.omts.org.nz

Player packs will be posted as they arrive and checked for timetable issues.

Sanctioned Pathfinder RPG tournaments need to meet certain conditions which we couldn't meet at present, but the working hard with Paul Tranni (pathfinder Liason) , to create some exciting Hobby events over the weekend, and to create some other tournament format one day events with can be used as a basis for this and future events.

A North Island event ambassador, Rob Shirley has been appointed to facilitate contacts and information sharing with North Island Clubs, to avoid any further confusion about NatCon16.

The Event is being held over 3 floors of Tournament Halls, Hobby game zones, trade stalls, learn to play workshops and an audio Visual center with keynote guest speakers.

I believe it should not be missed, If you have not been to a National before and for awhile ,this is the time to reengage with your hobby...

Look forward to seeing or hearing from you all soon....

Thank you all for your interest in Natcon16.

Rich
Event Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:06 pm 

Hi - Its stupid for traveling players to have a two day 40k tournament? Any reason why only two days over three? The Kings Of war will win me over unless its a three day thing :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 pm 

Dont worry Brian I could dig out the 30 Year swedes and do a FOG:R best of three with you lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:45 am 

VladiumNZL wrote:
Dont worry Brian I could dig out the 30 Year swedes and do a FOG:R best of three with you lol

Good to see you posting Vlad, will take you up on that one day.
If you have 'Pike & Shot Campaigns' we could start tomorrow.
http://www.slitherine.com/games/pscamp

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:54 pm 

what kind of numbers are going? its alot of cash if not alot of people going

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:12 pm 

I'm going.

I'm playing Dystopian.

You should buy some boats Alex. Play Dystopian...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:12 am 

VladiumNZL wrote:
Hi - Its stupid for traveling players to have a two day 40k tournament? Any reason why only two days over three? The Kings Of war will win me over unless its a three day thing :)

3 days is very unpopular with 40k and fantasy crowds normally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:40 am 

Hi fellow gamers ,

One month to go to the start of NatCon 2016 in Dunedin at Easter Weekend.

A big thanks to all who have registered for tournament play to date and those whom have registered for the convention events.

From a starting hobby pass of just 20 dollars for the whole 3 days you can come and play tabletop games, board games, card games, roleplaying games and meet enthusiasts from medieval , black powder era, airsoft, and Laser Tag communities.

If participating in learn to play, evening mini tournaments or joining in on the the group play big games ranging from a clash in the Sudan , wild west and gang warfare to date, is your thing then there is plenty to amuse and enthuse.

A painting competition is open free to enter as many times as you wish as long as you are a conventioneer, conditions apply and categories are established after entries received Friday/Saturday...Judging Sunday.

If being social then gold coin visitor passes are available to sample the hobby retailers displays, a convention market bring and buy evening and catch up with mates over food and beverage.And pop into the audio Visual theater to see clips of whats happening in the world and whats new in our hobby, or wait for the guest speakers to take the stage.

As part of our inclusive approach to the National Convention, we have dedicated card playing and role playing space for both new and old hands both day and night, over all three days.

Also we have a large range of Star Wars related games offered from small fighter skirmish X-wing events , to big capital ship clashes in Armada and tabletop skirmish as well.

And of course the more traditional Tournaments are being offered across the Favorites with a sprinkling of unique events. To take into account modern time restraints Tournaments are available in 1 day, 2 day and 3 day formats. Just find the event that suits you and register. No sign up on the day for the Tournaments is planned. So If you want to get the shot at being NATIONAL CHAMPION 2016 for your favorite game then Register online or by downloadable manual form asap.

All details are found at www.omts.org.nz. or type Natcon 2016 Dunedin New Zealand into your search engine.

See you all soon, you wont want to miss this convention!

Cheers Rich Bell
Event Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:05 pm 

Decision from the Vote at the Dinner in Dunedin is that NatCon 2017 will be hosted by the Woolston Club in Christchurch.
Good Friday in 2017 is 14 April.

Thanks for stepping up guys.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited by rob.shirley on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:01 pm 

Excellent news. Having access to free accommodation & transport, along with parents to babysit the kid makes coming along next year very feasible.