South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:57 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great War Miniatures & WW1 Rules
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 pm 

Location: Smoking endless cigars, through a luminous balaclava, in no man's land...
Hi,

Finally got my hands on a few of GWM's British and they're fantastic. The scale is 'proper' 28mm, not surprising as they've been sculpted by Aly Morrison and Dave Andrews. This does mean that the Foundry figures may not be that compatible unless you use different height bases.

I ordered a pack of officers and NCOs, plus a pack of riflemen skirmishing. I also ordered some Boch but they're currently out of stock due to demand.

The casting is very crisp, lots of stringy bits but little in the way of mould lines so minimal prep required. Only slight gripe would be that the packaging was a bit rushed so some of the bayonets got a bit bent in transit. However, they straightened out fine. Worth asking about packaging if ordering for international transit.

They're all jolly characterful with detailed facial expressions and many moustaches, but my favourite figure is an officer with his trusty Webley service revolver in one hand and a walking stick in the other.

Even if you aren't going play WW1 then a few of these figures would prove fun to paint. I'll post some pics as and when I get some completed.

The rules are very impressive and generally very well written with clear examples and diagrams. I guess they owe a lot to 40K (but I do not play 40K so I cannot be sure), but if you're no fan of 40k then don't let that put you off. The rules mechanisms will IMHO offer a fast paced game with plenty of atmosphere. I should also point out that I have yet to play :oops:

So what are you waiting for? Fix bayonets, blow the whistle and go over the top to give the Hun a jolly good thrashing eh what!?

Happy gaming.

Cheers

Matt