South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kings of War
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:40 pm 

Curious to know if anyone has read or played these rules?

They are the Alessio Cavatore rules for Mantic Games..
Look like a rewrite of WFB in many ways.. with a couple of slightly more modern concepts... but haven't played them.

Any comments?
Kind regards
Robin

Post subject: Re: Kings of War
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 am 

Location: You must be the jesus of gaming, you can turn wargaming into whine.
You should ask Steven - |twynsic|e - he has played it regularly

Javelin wrote:
You'll have to let us know when you're next back so that we can have AJCon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:56 am 

I played a test 500pt Undead Vs Dwarves Kings of War game …

Very balanced…. Dwarves blasted the skellies but they held on. Then in combat it fairly balanced with the combat swinging both ways. In the end it came down to tactics (cavalry work well here) …. Manoeuvring for a flank and rear charge made the difference in the end.

Using dice for damage markers worked well. The system mechanics are quick. I just have to remember to use the army rules properly, I forgot to use the Undead’s “evil undead” rule.

Only removing the unit when routed makes it much cleaner (and leaves it open to troop fillers or diagrammatic units). The flavour of the armies is nice and you get the feel without feeling overloaded with rules. It’s quick to play, 10min per turn (at 500pts) hence took just over an hour.

It really would open up new tactics, such as reserves which after playing would work (in warhammer you do, bunker defence or refused flank and that’s all that really works). I think big games would work really well. YOU CAN MIX ARMIES 

Overall I give it 8.5/10 (I miss the characterness of warhammer but I could see this slowing the game down).

P.S. The dwarves won

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:27 pm 

Enluki wrote:
I played a test 500pt Undead Vs Dwarves Kings of War game …

Very balanced…. Dwarves blasted the skellies but they held on. Then in combat it fairly balanced with the combat swinging both ways. In the end it came down to tactics (cavalry work well here) …. Manoeuvring for a flank and rear charge made the difference in the end.

Overall I give it 8.5/10 (I miss the characterness of warhammer but I could see this slowing the game down).

P.S. The dwarves won

Steven??

Thanks for the feedback. we are going to try a 1000 pt game tonight.. hopefully I'll be well enough organised to get some photos and put up a report, Your comments fill me with hope... :D

Kind regards
Robin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:42 pm 

no, I'm Steven :) little bit slack replying :? .

I usually get a game in once a month at the cavs versus David (not on the forums).
I have just over 2000pts of undead, he has 2000pts of humans (there's internet lists for all the warhammer armies, though an official human list should be out in the next month).

Normally we play 1500-2000 pts, usually takes about an hour and a half.
(We've found to speed the game up, have 10 dice of one colour and 5 of another for the attack dice, then not only do you never need to count attacks, but also never need to count dice)

Do any of you play at the cavs, I'd love to get some more games in?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:07 pm 

|twynsic|e wrote:

Do any of you play at the cavs, I'd love to get some more games in?

Howdy Steven

Never get to Cavs (and only rarely to Woolston, what's more)... they are both on at times when we are training, or I am working, so Friday night is one of the few opportunities I get to game at all. Cramps the style a bit.

R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 am 

Played our first 1000 point game of KoW tonight.. impressed, played easily, quickly ... will post some photos and thoughts later.

Robin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:04 pm 

Some photos and some thoughts on our first 'Kings of War' game

http://wargamingnz.blogspot.com/2011/06 ... -game.html

Kind regards
Robin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:45 am 

Gidday Robin,

Glad you enjoyed it too. I too was able to take the dwarves out retirement :-)

I assume you used the Human rules from http://www.hourofwolves.org written by Alessio Cavatore and Neldoreth.

After lots of warhammer battles it is refreshing to play a system where rules don't donminate. Every army has a flavour but it doesn't donimate and it only takes a short amount of time to play.

I played another game in weekend (600pts ish, took less than an hour) .... very close came down to turn 6 with the undead snatching defeat from jaws of victory..... again battle swung both ways (I remembered the army rules this time).

I think I need to make lots of 5x4, 10x4 (for infantry) and 5x10 (for Cav) movement trays though.

I've even been inspired to paint .... 20 Mantic ghouls (40 to go :-| ) On a side note the Mantic figures are getting better and better..... mantic Orc Gore riders look good and now they are doing equivalent of Blood riders (vampire cavalry).

All I need now is ruels for:
Humans (offical list)
Evil elves (Dark elves)
Wood elves
Rats (Skaven)
Army specific monsters (i.e. Stank, Giants, Undead Chariots, Ushabti, Treekin, Treemen)

I love the fact you can use your fantasy (warhammer) figures and not feel dirty :twisted:

Andy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:03 am 

Good stuff on the batrep :)

@Enluki, official humans, dark elves and goblin should be coming in the next month or so, as for the rest, warseers gathering all the unofficial lists here, and people have started throwing around ideas for a monsters beastiaryhere.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:56 am 

If you want a dead tree version of the Kings of War rules (although you can download them for free too! If you're a hippy greenie and want to save some trees, or maybe you're simply too impatient to wait for snail mail to work) then for a limited time only Wayland Games is offering it for FREE! With any purchase of Kings of War.

Here is details of the offer (you get a free dwarf mini too!):
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6e6 ... d6be5e908e

Personally I got a battery of elven bolt throwers for only £6.99 with free shipping! A bargain way to get a free rulebook! (although having second thoughts now if that was the best choice.... as I'm new to WHFB 8th Edition, apparently the Bolt Throwers for the High Elves are over priced for their cost? Meh, whatever as I'm sure I'll still have fun playing with them :-) ). And got the Elves Sea Guard Regiment sent to my brother for a second set of free rules to hopefully get him into it!