South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOTR Questionnaire
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:01 am 

Location: Smoking endless cigars, through a luminous balaclava, in no man's land...
Hi,

Do you play this fine game? If so then ...

1. What armies have you got?
2. How many points / figures?
3. How many are painted?
4. How long have you been playing LOTR SBG?
5. (Perhaps most importantly) Have you read Tolkien's LotR?

I'll kick off with ...

1. FotR, Mordor, Isengard, Moria, Minas Tirith & Dwarfs. Next is likely to be Rohan.
2. No idea of points, but about 300 figures.
3. About 210 or so.
4. Didn't really get in to it properly until after RotK.
5. First time back in about '85, and several times since.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Matt OS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:17 pm 

Hey Matt, yeh I got a group of 30 urakai, Lurtz and an Urakai captain. I also have a random aragon but I dont see him somehow fighting on there side :wink: I have no idea how many points cost, I was about to get into the game when at my club it fell over and everyone else went back to 40k and what not. Would still be great if anyone at the woolston club played it (nudge-nudge) :lol: Seems like a real great game, would be a nice change from constant gun-fire!

Cheers

Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:52 pm 

Location: Smoking endless cigars, through a luminous balaclava, in no man's land...
Hi,

Good to hear that someone plays. Cannot understand why the game is not more popular. The rules are some of the best produced by GW in my opinion. In the UK friends and I also used the system to play 28mm skirmish games of Napoleonics and WWII.

Not sure when I'll next be at the club but would love to play some LOTR - perhaps this would inspire a few others to dust off their figures!? If you know of anyone who might be interested then get them to post here, then we can arrange a game.

Cheers

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:05 am 

Hey Matt, sure sounds good. So you do go to woolston club? Good to hear. Just between the both of us we could only do a skirmish(well with my numbers) I know a guy who really wants to play LOTR and is trying to trade off his 40k eldars for some, but has had no luck. Im trying to give him a bit of a nudge just to sell them but he just wants to trade.

By the way, I never would of though about using those rules with WW2, but hell I could see how some of it could work.Do you find it works well for you? I just use Panzermarsch for WW2, and id like to do LOTR on the side as I am probly going to uni for history of WW2 hopefully :D

Owell if you can get any people to play thatll be great, theres plenty of nice 40k scenery which would work fine down there :D
Cheers

Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:49 am 

Ok, heres a picture of what I got. Poor little Aragon got his work cut out for him :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:21 pm 

Hi,

I've been to the woolston club once, last weekend, where my Bretonnians fought against Andrew's Empire army. Great game and good to play against new ooponents. I've been in NZ a year or so (emigrated from UK) but have been to busy to attend club until now. Sundays are not ideal for me as I have a young family so I'll only be going along to the club every few weeks at most. Do you know anything about the Monday evening club? I heard it was re-locating to St Albans or something?

WWII with LotR rules worked a treat. We were mainly playing SOE + British elites vs Wehrmacht, i.e. 5-6 partisans, 3-4 paras vs 10-12 regular germans. Great fun! I'll dig out the weapon stats and rules mods if possible.

Will also look for some pics of my LotR stuff and get a photobucket account.

Get painting the rest of those Uruks!

Matt

PS - Eldar - yuugh! I'm not a fan of 40K ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:52 am 

Hey

I got around about 70 men

Most of mine is bad guys :twisted:

I have got good men as well :D

[Converted to lowercase, please don't post in all capitals - Chris]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:57 pm 

Well Hayden sounds like hes got a full enough army, so thats about 3 people so far :D Anyone else like to cough up? :lol:

Cheers

Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:46 pm 

Hi Hayden,

Nice to see another Tolkien-ite.

I won't be at the club on the 9th because I'm out all day, but might be playing Warhammer on the 16th. Say 'hi' then - I'll be easy to spot as I seem to be Christchurch's only Bretonnian player!? Will try to remember to bring along some figures - may be have a game if there's time?

Cheers

Matt
(Servant of the Dark Lord, with occasional Gondorian tendencies)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:44 am 

Id bring some on the 16th but ive got I think my last panzermarsch competition game on that day-to much stuff to carry! However ill try another weekend :D Ill still watch though if you 2 do a battle

Cheers

Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:52 pm 

hey

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

we need more lotr people to join :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:23 pm 

I agree.

With all the gear that Comics Compulsion sells for LotR, I reckon there must be a small army of players out there!

Come on - join the throng, well ... err ... small gathering.

Cheers

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:31 pm 

Hi all-ok some bleak news-I know a guy whos got a huge rohan army and used to play hard out, but retired his boots about 1 year ago. Ill ask him next time I see him if he wants to come to the club and do afew games, but there isnt a high chance of that succeeding :?
Owell anyone else up for LOTR and got an army or not please post! :D

Cheers

Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:58 pm 

Hi all, anybody interested in doing some LOTR's games perhaps this sunday? Im keen to learn, Ive got a very rough idea of how to play it, but I read the manuals like a year ago and didnt play one game..... :?
Ive got the 30 Urakai grunts and Lurtz and a Urukai captain, so theres no mixed sided models, just need someone with a gondor or Rohan army. Better still we could get multiple players and do a mordor and Urakai vs Gondor and Rohan! :lol:
Look forward to replies :D

Cheers

Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:03 pm 

Vegemite/jordan wrote:
Hi all, anybody interested in doing some LOTR's games perhaps this sunday? Im keen to learn, Ive got a very rough idea of how to play it, but I read the manuals like a year ago and didnt play one game..... :?
Ive got the 30 Urakai grunts and Lurtz and a Urukai captain, so theres no mixed sided models, just need someone with a gondor or Rohan army. Better still we could get multiple players and do a mordor and Urakai vs Gondor and Rohan! :lol:
Look forward to replies :D

Cheers

Jordan

you may want to post this in the Game Organisation forum here : http://www.chchwargaming.org.nz/forum/viewforum.php?f=14