South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WOTR FAQ
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:39 am 

GW finally release the WOTR FAQ, well over a year after WOTR was released.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=1000018&pIndex=1&aId=10500005a&start=2

Clears up alot of things although a few odd things may be missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:24 am 

Good stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:40 am 

Awesome. Shame it took a year thou.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:15 am 

Hey, good job cpd :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 am 

I had to laugh, it looked promising when they fixed one of the obvious points holes right at the start but then left others untouched :P

Good to have so many basic things set in stone.

So.... um .... any takers for a 'House rule' to use only unmodified fight value in duels so you are not a sucker for taking basic Captains :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:01 pm 

Xelee wrote:
So.... um .... any takers for a 'House rule' to use only unmodified fight value in duels so you are not a sucker for taking basic Captains :lol:

maybe I'm reading the rules wrong, but if you call a duel before they call the epic strike doesn't the duel get resolved first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:26 pm 

Hi Sassmo, the relevant wording is: (p69) "Epic Actions do not always have to be declared at the start of the phase, but are called when the formation is due to act." and "If a Hero declares Epic Strike before he fights..."

The "when he fights" is when he is due to act and the official FAQ confirmed the local practice to treat English as English and consider a duel a fight. :) So you can just call an Epic Strike when you are going to be in a duel, unlike heroic actions, and their Epic versions (eg Epic Charge etc), which do go in the queue at the start of the phase.

For a fuller explanation and handy table, though the FAQ bit at the start is now redundant, I quite like this (see the sppendix 1 bit): http://www.scribd.com/doc/15100338/WotR ... ue-FAQ-v11

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:58 pm 

I would've thought you would just take into account that the hero has epic strike and try to avoid dueling them or alternatively duel them with a character that also has epic strike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:30 pm 

And that is pretty much the thinking behind the houserule. It depends on how many people start operating this way, but I wasn't the one that commented to Wallacer after our game that basic captains were a bit of a big target. So the argument is that eventually everone will either take heroes with it or ally them in just to avoid being targets. That is, where they bother with heroes at all.

Still, my army is much better off, though notably Captainless, with RAW so I'm just throwing the idea out there ;) I'm not exactly inclined to push the issue if others are comfortable with things as they are.

If another character has Epic Strike, I tend to just leave it alone unless there is a pressing reason to do something about it. After last time, I probably need to move Khamul into the 'always duel out on site' side of the ledger though. Just attempting to kill the unit around him tends to backfire spectacularly :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:47 pm 

Sounds like a situation where you would just agree with your opponent beforehand not to take epic strike etc.

In tournaments anything is go so if you want to win games sounds like a good idea to come packing an epic strike character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:44 pm 

Well that's skipping ahead a bit. Before you did that you probably want to get a good gauge on whether it's even an issue.