South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NATCON War of the Ring 2011
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:25 pm 

There is never any traffic here, so it's a good place for this to sit.

There will be WOTR offered for NATCON. As far as I know, this will be the first nationals WOTR event, which makes whoever wins - the first ever champion of WOTR in middle earth! Jast sayin.

I will be umpiring, and will be getting direct feedback on format from those who have said they are coming already, but I am always open to more comments.

The format will be:

It will be a two day, five game, event. 1000 pts, using the the army construction guidelines from the rulebook. I know some players would like 1500pts, so a 'write in' campaign for a different points level will be given a hearing - the intention is that the event be what most of the community wants.

Games are to be played on a 6'x4' table. Games will use combinations of the missions and victory conditions in the rulebook plus possibly a new/reworked mission to mix things up a little. There will be at least two shieldwalls deployments, plus one battle for the pass and one maelstrom.

Games will be scored using the rules in the WOTR rulebook. After each game, W/L/D and total points using the GW system will be recorded. In the first instance, players will be ranked using the following formula:

3 pts per win, 1 pt per draw, 0pts per loss. If this results in ties, then the recorded GW points will be used to determine the rankings within those ties.

(only if prize support permits) There will be a separate painting prize, based on player vote.

There will be no 'Sports' points.

Lists are due one week before the event. Players have almost complete freedom in list design but the Umpire reserves the right to ask a player to rethink a list, if it will be something like a Gorgoroth Orc Horde with plenty of Nazgul!

I will be on hand to prevent byes, especially for any who have traveled, but will otherwise umpire. Games with the umpire will be 'for fun' and it will be scored as a bye. If someone would like to attend from out of town and would like to borrow an army, this could be arranged.

If you want to come along and vie for this coveted title, then get registrations in early once they open next month. Lets stake out some real space for WOTR :)

Any enquiries about this event can be sent to:

roughwotr@gmail.com

Last edited by Xelee on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:39 am 

Just as an update,

Here is a thread of rules clarifications they gave for the (European?) WOTR GT, it supplements the FAQ. I also think it give a good guide on how people are playing their WOTR models around the place::

http://www.terrainguild.com/thelastalli ... 1&start=40

Quote:
1. In terms of companies with shields, do every single model in each company have to have a shield, or is it ok to have shield armed models in the front row of the company and non-shield in the 2nd row? I ask this because models come in boxes containing 8 spears, 8 shields, 8 bows usually, so it would only be convenient for the players to allow splitting shields per 2 companies if that is possible.

Having shields on the front rank models will be fine, as long as all the models represent the troop type being used.

2. Are there any battle scenarios? Or is every game just a simple pitched battle? And what point scoring system is used to determine the winner - is it the player who kills more points or is it based on the scoring system laid out in the rulebook and updated in the recent FAQ?

Each game you and your opponent will roll for the mission as per the ‘To Battle!’ section in the War of The Ring rulebook, page 76. You use the scenario points system, including the recent FAQ updates, to determine the result of each game.

3. Gundabad Blackshields models have been released only a week ago, while my army contains a total of 18 companies of them - I have converted models before the new ones were released and as they are the only shielded formations in my army, it will be visible for my opponents what they represent, so the question I have is do I have to include the original Blackshields models in the army? And if yes, is it ok to just fill the command companies? It will otherwise be nigh impossible for anyone to use an army containing a good amount of them because the models have only been released so close to the actual tournament.

You don’t have to use the new Gundabad Blackshields models, as long as the models you are using represent them, and aren’t just the standard goblins. Using the new command models would be nice, if you are happy to do this, but not necessary.

4. How restrictive are proxy/count as rules? There is nothing about that in the Throne of Skulls rulespack.
I have attached the following with our event rules of engagement, which will help answer this question:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... d=2200016a

Regarding rules:

5. According to the new FAQ, a formation may use Overlord's Might to call heroic moves, even though it does not contain a hero within, therefore can a Stone Giant (or any other non-hero-containing formation) call a Heroic Duel using the Overlord? Based on the writing of the rules, it should be possible, but it just looks wrong.

This heroic action specifically states that it only effects a Hero whereas the other heroic actions effect heroes and formations. If the model using the Overlord special rule is not a Hero they would not gain any benefit from calling a Heroic Duel but would still use up a might point.

6. There is no mention in the ToS rulespack about including models from Warhammer Fantasy into the army - we are allowed to do that just like we were at the LotR GT, just that we won't get nomination for best painted army, correct?

You are absolutely correct. You may use other Citadel miniatures, but won’t be eligible for the best painted army category.

Post subject: Re: NATCON War of the Ring 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:06 pm 

I'm considering using this new GW scenario: 'Attack of the Corsairs' as part of the event.

The pdf is here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =13600014a

If you have an comments/ feedback on this, you are more than welcome to email me (email hidden from harvesters, in player pack) or just drop a comment on my blog (link below.)

Cheers

Jamie