South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:02 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jamie's Battlereport thread.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm 

We often have some good games of WOTR going on around the place, and I figure the game could do with more exposure - so I'll chronicle some of the action here. Apologies for the image sizing, but I can't quite manage the full ins and outs of forum code without a photobucket menu to help me. If anyone can tell me a simple tag to resize, I'll edit.

We gave the 'Attack of the Corsairs' scenario another go at the Cav's (Club) last week. Report of how we went is here: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/02/wotr-cavs-1000-pt-isengard-vs-elves.html

Andy has done some good work on a three piece model fortress for WOTR. Since it is such a cool show piece, we gave it its first run at the Cavs, last Thursday. 1000pts of his High Elves (Galadriel, Epic Srike Twin, 4 x Cohort, 3x Galadrim w bow, 2x Woodelves, 2x Wood Elves) defending the fortress against the warriors of Dunland (Thrydan and Battlehost, 5x Huscarls, 5x Huscarls, 5x Huscarls, 4x Uruks with Cross bow, 4x Wildmen, Tainted and Dwimmerlaik allied Nazgul). We did another round of the 'Attack of the Corsairs scenario, which I am trialing for NATCON inclusion, but Andy did not take me up on my offer for him to attack!
So turn one has the Elven defenders standing their ground at the walls of the keep, as the determined Warbands of Dunland approach. I have to have a unit on each of my three edges, so my Uruks set up to the right (East), Thrydan's households troops bring up the centre (South) and Wulfgar's men follow his standard to the left (West). The warbands advance determinedly, shields held up, into the hail of Elven arrows, while the Uruks exchange fire with Elves on the walls. Mysteriously, the gates of the keep lie open, and conscious that his leadership rests on his reputation, Thrydan resolves to show no fear and press forward through that opening. The attackers take only light casualties from the rain of Elven arrows (aside from poor Rolf, who attempted some weak quip about fighting int eh shade, and was punched for his troubles!), while deadly Uruk crossbow-fire scythed down Elves on the walls above.
The fickle Elves had the initiative once more, in the second round. Wulfgar had his horn blower sound out the advance and his men readied ladders and surged toward the wall. He noted with grim satisfaction that his accompanying Wraith laid low yet more of the defenders before him - they would not hold against his assault! On the far side of the fortress, the Uruks continued to trade fire with the Elves, but now one of the main towers was joining in and casualties on the crossbows dramatically reduced their effect.

In the Center, Thrydan gave a great battle cry and led his men forward. They had followed him for many a battle and were willing to follow the Wolf Banner..... to whatever end. The trap was sprung! High Elven Cohort met him at the gate with a wall of shields. In order to forestall an Elven countercharge, the allied Wraith attempted to cast a dark pall upon the Elven line and nearly failed (expending might). Then with a crash of bodies and a clash of steel, Wulfgar's men overrun the walls to the left, while Thrydan smashed into the thin line at the main gate.
The Elven line held there though. However, despite the fact they had priority again, the defenders faced the prospect of yet more waves of attackers as Thrydan's reinforcements approached. Wulfgar's band to the left made it over the wall and into the courtyard proper. This forced the Elven cohort to withdraw and reface, presenting a solid line for the half of the fortress that remained in Elven hands. Both sides engaged in a battle of sorcery, with the Elves on the receiving end of spells that raided their strength while sapping their lifeblood. Now Thrydan's men were in a trap, and disordered. The approach to the main gate was a killing ground for bow-fire, which could be rained down by archers from the towers into the flanks of the attackers. The Elven defenders were successful in seeing off the Uruks and also left perilously few men in Thrydan's own unit. The Cohort engaged Thrydan's unit in melee, with the Elven duelist seeking to eliminate the Wraith therein. He failed, though the warband's numbers were so further diminished. Wulfgar's troops held off a charge on the cohort, as the horns sounded to his rear - signaling the arrival of the hillmen of Dunland.

Buoyed by their burgeoning numbers, the forces of Dunland seized the initiative and pressed forward. Rollo's men were only cautiously advancing to join Thrydan, but the hillmen quickly and agilely scrambled over the walls to reinforce Wulfgar. Seeing the trap laid for him, Thrydan bid the Wraith follow and moved to join Wulfgar's men. His own Huscarls may be bottled up at the gate, but they would sell their lives dearly while he led the rest of the battlehost to victory and vengeance! All about them, Elves fell from the walls as the Wraiths wove their magic. The Elven Cohort looked on impotently, wreathed as the were in Wraith-wrought shadows. Their reckoning would come in time.

Somewhere out in the hillsides, another unit of Uruks were making their approach. However for this turn it was up to Thrydan's men to force a decision. Elves had initiative, but it would not save them. Once more, Elves were cut down by Nazgul magic, and once more the Elves failed to freeze the stout men of Dunland with their weakling sorcery's. In turn, more of Thrydan's troops piled up at the gate, felled by cowardly bow fire. Behind them, Rollo's men slowly advanced. Spurred on by the cheers of the hillmen occupying the walls above, Thrydan led Wulfgar's Huscarls in a ferocious charge upon the Elven cohort. Many of his men fell, but he accounted it a fair trade if two brought down a High-Elf in their turn.
On the sixth turn of battle, the Elves had the initiative but were already succumbing to their natural decadent fatalism. How can you be victorious once you have acknowledged defeat in your heart? The time of Elves was about to end even earlier here as more Dunlendings swarmed toward the keep the martial beat of Uruk feet heralded their arrival to the West. The Wraiths had moved themselves to the Hillmen upon the walls, and there they went to their deathly work - eliminating the rest of the Elven bowmen from the other gate-tower. Below them, Thrydan and Wulfgar awaited the Elven charge, as they were transfixed by Galadriel's magic. They met the enemy charge with axe, spear and sword and cut the first-born down, throwing them back in disarray.
The last turn was now a mere formality. The Wraiths decimated the Elves with magic, before the two sides me in combat once last time.

The attackers had proven too numerous and far too determined for the Elven defenders. One more chapter in their long defeat as Thrydan's fearless companions cheered on the Age of Men.

Firstly, that castle is just awesome as a gaming piece for WOTR. Andy got a LOT of compliments from wandering players at the club. He did great work with both presentation and design. Our forces sat easily on it and it can be simply expanded by future additions (though I think Andy wants to leave fortress building along for a well-earned break!).

We played it this way: Towers only hold two coys and can only be approached via their marked doors. Gates were played as open and both walls had ladders ready to allow a charge against them. We allowed units to overflow the wall when occupying (since only three bases would fit there) and that logic might be extended to towers - though that could get visually confusing. The towers overlooked everything and allowed bow in them to shoot the flanks of units approaching the main gate. All positions gave def 3 to units occupying, except for the inside facing of the walls - which allowed units to fire from one wall top position to hit troops on the other.

I think he found the experience of holding the fortress with Elves a little dispiriting. However, next time he can take the offer to attack (if used at NATCON, I would always give Elves and Rohan the option to attack) instead of defending the admittedly appealing defensive position. Wave attacks would square things up pretty well. It is possible that it was too easy to assault the walls, and I might try it with attackers having to set ladders for a turn, though most armies would find it easier to hold a line than Elves would.

The Raven (Rollo's slow troops) and Mythical Beast (Wulfgar's brave heroes) flags are from Roy's excellent Viking flags.http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/search/label/Viking%20flags I made the Wolfbanner myself.

Cheers for a great game on great terrain, Andy!

Post subject: Re: Jamie's Battlereport thread.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 pm 

Try this: Linky. I think you can just have the width tag, or maybe not. You'll have to try it. Anyway, google is your friend.

The castle is wicked by the way, I was looking over at it in envy the other night.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:02 pm 

Location: You must be the jesus of gaming, you can turn wargaming into whine.
Awesome, need to pull finger and start painting my ''Where the wild things are" list :p

Javelin wrote:
You'll have to let us know when you're next back so that we can have AJCon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:08 pm 

Geez, totally forgot I even had this thread lol. Will add my game vs Andy's much meaner Mordor list later... then my game vs Jason's Isengard legion of firey DOOM.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:18 pm 

Finally! A game of WOTR. Andy braved the cross-Chch trip (and apparently saw a whole lot of damage he hadn't realised existed) to give me a game with his Mordor, which he intends to take to the first ever national WOTR event in NZ, assuming the news media hasn't scared everyone away from the city.

Full post here: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/03/a ... -prep.html Though I have done a little bit of a better job with pic sizing this time! :)

To give him a proper test, (purely in the interests of Science, you understand) I brought forth the Opportunistic Trans-Misty Mountain Alliance based around my Dunlending Battlehost.

This is of course a canonical force, from the Fourth Age. I like this period, since it has a real 'sequal' feel to the bad guys, which somehow were in the shadows of the titans of the Third Age but (in true sequel fashion) turn out to be even more of the threat. Here, no doubt dismayed at the peace between by most of his lick spittle fellows and the Reunited Kingdom, Thrydan leads his battlehost from hiding place to hiding place. Hot on his heels is the Prince of Ithilien's feared Cavalry wing. Luckily for the rebel Dunlending chieftain, he has made a pact with a necromancer impersonating a Nazgul and none other than Druzhag, Beastcaller of the Misty Mountains.

I took: Thrydan, Battlhost, Druzhag, Dwimmerlaik, four coy of Uruks w Crossbows, four formations of Dunlending Huscarls w shields, each four coy strong, and lastly six coy of the Wildmen of Dunland. The battlehost does two things. Firstly the only formation that even gets counted for commons and rares is the Uruks. Secondly all formations in range of Thrydan always perform an unstoppable charge.

Somehow, Andy had found two other Necromancers impersonating Wraiths (what are the odds?), though his were the much more useful Khamul and The Betrayer. He had: Khamul, Betrayer, Gothmog, five coy Morranans w shields, five coy Morranans w shields, seven coy Orcs w 2HW, five coy Orcs w bow, and one formation of three siege bows. In short, a pretty typical Mordor list.

Andy won the roll off and elected to have first turn priority and his choice of side, so as to seize the hill for his artillery. There is a capacity three ruin in the middle, the larger woods at the sides are capacity six (I don't like big pieces in the middle, too weird given the rules) and then two more capacity four woods. His army is arrayed at the top of the picture. Left to right: Morranans, Siegebows, Morranans behind Orcs with bows (Betrayer) and then the 2HW Orcs with Khamul out on his left flank (top right). My army is bottom/left. Starting at the left: Cyndig's fresh Dunlendings, Rollo's laggardly Dunlendings (who have much to prove) with Dwimmerlaik, Dunlendings with Thrydan, Uruk crossbows w Druzhag (behind ruin) then Wulf's crack Dunlendings to face Khamul on my right flank. Wildmen were in ambush.
Here are the siege bows on the hill. They are converted Zvedka 1/72 ballistas (like mine) and Andy has done extra work on the bow arms and based sideways behind a cool protective palisade.
Since he had priority, Andy raced Khamul's 2HW Orcs up his left. I pulled Wulf's well disciplined boys back, to make room for the Uruks to wheel and bring the Orcs into arc. I had the Necromancer impersonating the Dwimmlerlaik join the crossbow as well. Cyndig's fresh troops were sent through the relative safety of the forest to my left, while Rollo's boys were given the more dangerous work of taking the Morranan right flank with their front - I figured they would be well motivated to dispel lingering questions over their commitment! Thryday led his Redshirts... personal bodyguard up the centre. In the shoot phase, I did a heroic shoot with the xbow and savaged the 2HW Orcs. I took a couple of casualties from the seige bows, a few more from the bow (with Betrayer re rolls). I had used entangle magic to ensure there would be no Orc charge via Wings of Terror this turn.
Mordor had priority again for second turn, and Andy chose to go first again. I held back my ambush. He shifted his bow into the wood, the Betrayer into the Morranan Orc unit in his centre, and pulled Khamul's 2HW Orcs back toward the centre. His Morranan unit out on his right moved around between the hill and the wood to the left of the pic (above). I jumped the 'Dwimmerlaik' into Wulf's brave men and they followed the Gryphon banner forward with great elan, sweeping past Kahmul's Orcs into charge range of the Orcs in the wood. To my left, Cyndig's men left the wood to flank the Morranans, while Thrydan left his Redshirts to go give some spine to Rollo's huscarls as they completed the flanking move by facing the Morranan front. Druzhag threw out a spider on the Flank of Khamul's Orcs and Thrydan's 'bodyguard' pushed up the centre in column with orders to pin the Mordor line - poor unwitting fools.

Andy's Mordor shooting finally had the decency to reduce the crossbow to three coy, while he used his bow to destroy the decoy spiders on Khamul's flank. My crossbow savaged Khamul's Orcs once more, though his essence leech bounced a lot of that onto Thrydan's bodyguard.

Then charges went in. On his right flank, he had to choose which of theThrydan to his front. The 2HW orcs were under a Pall of night, so Thrydan's reshirts charged them, while Cyndig's Huscarls acheived a rear charge on the Morranans fighting Thrydan. The spells of the 'Dwimmerlaik' allowed a distant charge by Wulf on the Orcs sheltering in the wood. The outcome of all of this was heavy casualties on the Morranans to the left of the pic (above) and they were now sandwiched between two lines of Huscarls, heavy damage to both the 2HW Orcs and the Huscarls facing them, with essence leech almost reversing the result of combat, then Wulf's warband evicted the Orcs from the wood to the right.
Seizing the initiative early in the game has left the Dunlendings in a good position to take advantage of priority on turn three (above). I chose to go second and once more held the ambush back. This turn saw the demise of the Morranans sandwiched between the two units of Huscarls, leaving them both free to turn the Mordor flank.
Thrydan's bodyguard worked with Druzhag's crossbow to destroy the remnant of the 2HW Orcs, though pseudo-Khamul had fled to the reserve Morranan unit. That unit was now a five coy Morranan orc unit (hisr str 4 hits my Huscarls on 5s, ouch) with Khamul and the Betrayer in there, and Gothmog to make it hard to duel out Khamul. A true bunker unit. This unit spent the turn trying to reduce Wulf's hardy Huscarls in the wood, but actually found themselves transfixed by the ersatz Dwimmerlaik and unable to close the deal with a charge!
Mordor had priority for turn four and wanted to go first.I ambushed with the Wildmen and settled in for the long task of reducing the Morranan bunker formation with mutliple Dunland units and spell. Khamul's ability was going to be tedious here, it always is, but Gothmog is just a reliable bodyguard for him and you really need a hero with a lot of might to spend on the duel result to make it worth giving Gothmog all the Epic actions for free. So I decided to just sit and shoot the Bunker unit instead, suck up the reflected damage on surrounding Huscarls and use the pretend -Dwimmerlaik to taunt them and prevent charges. As a bit of 'therapy', I sent the wildmen off to sort out the Orc bow next turn.
Mordor was up first again on turn five. This turn (pic above) was at least more action-packed. There was some exchange of fire, but the real fun was in a melee between Cyndig's Huscarls and the Seige bow (top-right, total wipe out of the artillery), the Morranan Bunker unit and Wulf's Huscarls (top-middle, Wulf's Huscarls evicted from the wood) and the melee between the Wildmen, led by sham-Dwimmerlaik and Druzhag and the Orc bow (top-right, total wipe out of Orc bow). At this point, I feel that some sort of army-break mechanism would be a great addition for WOTR 2nd Ed.
I won priority for turn six, and actually wanted to go first. Why? Natures Wrath on the bunker unit in the wood! The theory at this stage was that the wildmen were to dog the bunker unit's heels and suck up the bounce back damage on their nice cheap 15pt coys. Then magic and crossbow fire would eventually sort out the bunker. Just for kicks, the remnant Huscarl units would pursue te bunker as well and angle for flank charges. I didn't hold out high hopes for these though, since Andy had wised up to the limitations of Pall of Night in these situation (not that he didn't keep casting that too) and used terrifying aura to make them that little bit harder to charge. He actually came after me as well. The bunker surged toward Thrydan and Rollo's Huscarls, then charged in. I decided that what the heck and declared a duel, he declared one back for free, I won the roll-off and got my chance at Khamul... I won the duel by five dice: 1, 2, 2, 1, 3. Four misses. Sigh. However, Gothmog lost his duel to Thrydan too, so I did at least get some free hits on the Bunker out of it... No wait, silly me, they all bounced back and hit me too!
But this is now a simple numbers game, I still have all my heroes, I have my crossbow, I have several melee units, and the bunker is surrounded and can only face one way. Even a base and a half of Huscarls is pretty dangerous in the flank. They hit on 4s, and get 1+1d3 bonus charge dice. Andy conceded at this point. In fairness, had he played it out, he could have bagged Rollo's Huscarls (the unit the bunker is facing in the pic above) and my army-commander Thrydan with them.

Cheers for the action packed game Andy, that was good fun and a tough fight. I had been feeling some trepidation about facing the full-on Mordor combos (not least because the Str 4 of Morranans actually doubles kills vs my Huscarls!) but I will have benefited from the fact that this list's one prior battle experience had been to roll over the Riders of Rohan. I am told that that one took longer in terms of setup and pack up than actual play... Next time, with a more coordinated Mordor attack, angled out of one corner to make flank protection easier, I will find it tougher still. That might not be my problem though lol since I am umpiring NATCON and am just here to try and offer some serious practice for the open-list format.

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:51 pm 

Jason and I battled it out in a 1000pt game pitting his legions of the Beige Hand vs my Ersatz Isengard.

Link to pictures and most recent report report here:
http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/03/w ... beige.html

Now I have finally done the report, we will have to play again. Maybe the forces of good should actually get an outing. As a final note, someone has suggested that the line in the Battlehosts book stating that additional heroes may not be included in the battlehost may actually be a statement with a meaning beyond armybuilding. You may be supposed to never put another hero in there. If this is so (and it would sort out the Gorgoroth Orcs nicely!), then I would need to rethink this force. At the moment there is only one non-battlehost formation in there, which is quite the risk for any other heroes I should take...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 pm 

King Elessar and the warriors of the Reunited Kingdom (me) took on Druzhag and the spiders (plus goblin lackeys) of the Misty Mountains (Jason) in a 'King of the Hill' battle over a ruin perched above the snow.

See how they did here:
http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/05/batrep-wotr-houseruled-gondor-vs-misty.html

We used my houserules but also stuck to one Epic hero each. This really helped the game, and has inspired me to draw up a set of guidelines for a hypothetical 1000 pt competition:
http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/05/w ... ncing.html

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:52 pm 

More WOTR:

This time it is the Biege Wizard who dares take on the King: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/06/b ... or-vs.html

The guidelines worked well. Actually wanting to take Captains? What next?

Cheers for the great game, Jason.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:25 pm 

Xelee wrote:
More WOTR:

This time it is the Biege Wizard who dares take on the King: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/06/b ... or-vs.html

The guidelines worked well. Actually wanting to take Captains? What next?

Cheers for the great game, Jason.

Yes it was a fun battle, And I have some dastardly new tricks to try next time do.

As for wanting Captains, I know! Who would have guessed.

Cheers
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:06 pm 

You don't need new tricks, as my most recent WOTR game demonstrates, clearly I am no threat to anyone :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:27 pm 

Aaand the report illustrating why I probably can't fight my way out of a wet paper bag: Me vs Wallacer
http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/06/b ... .html#more

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:23 pm 

We gave the combination of Maelstrom (which I do not usually like) and Seize the prize a go a couple of weeks ago. This will be round one of our one day charity event @ Tempest later this month. I figure that this is a combination to wake us up on a Saturday morning! I just hope the deployment zones do not get flooded with Moria Goblins.

http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/07/b ... ngard.html

I think it works well and I like Maelstrom much better for this particular victory condition.

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:41 pm 

What's this I see? A Dragon draws near?
The Dragon (spell casting, of course) was accompanied by 5 coy spiders, four coy Goblin bow, six (?) Coy Goblins with Shields (yes with shields, my opponent is not inclined to proxy Blackshields unless for our 'experiments') and a Spider Queen.

Angmar had: The Tainted, 5 Coy Carn Dum Barbarians w Chieftain, 5 Coy Carn Dum Barbarians, 5 Coy Carn Dum Barbarians, Carn Dum Siege bow, Buhrdur, 4 Coy Isengard xbow with Captain.

Full report is here:
http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/07/b ... tains.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:50 pm 

More gaming at the Cavs.

I've been a bit lax and have a backlog to clear but here is my game vs Ultrapapasmurf, last Thursday night.

James requested that I take my Angmar list (I don't think he ever wants to face my Gondor force again! :oops: ) and we used my 'Tournament Guidelines' so only one decent Epic hero each. I had the Tainted and he had Lurtz. It was really good to be fighting an Isengard force without that damnable Beige Wizard. 8)

Playing at the club means 8'x4' tables are possible and in hindsight this helped me a bit. My lines are to the right of James' (in this pic), with about half the models James has. Not good, when all those troops are Uruks!

Full report, with lists, is here: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/08/b ... ld-of.html

Did the brave few (as if, I play my Barbarians as a very cagey force!) manage to defeat the hordes of Isengard?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:07 pm 

Heart heavy and short of breath we, the veterans of Ithilien, did spy the Drwarven Holdfast at the end of our forced march.

Gandalf's apprentice had received word that the mountain folk were plagued by Spiders, Orcs, Goblins.... even a Dragon. Despite long years at our head imposing King Elessar's will on the East, Prince Faramir was not one to shy from his duty. So we marched once more to the north.

We arrived to a grim spectacle, Dwarven Vault Wardens arrayed in battle-line before their keep and lookouts calling and pointing to something angry and sulfurous in the distance....

Full report here: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/12/w ... misty.html

Thanks for reading.