South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: War of the Rings event - Tempest 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:58 am 

Hi everyone. Tempest is planned for 30 July Saturday at the Shirley St Alban's club.

It will be a $15 entry fee for a one day event, funds raised are to go canterbury Canterbury Child Cancer. There will be additional collection buckets there on the day. The committee decided to go with this as a charity event because we are aware that some quite important charities have actually experienced funding cuts, at a time that we as a region are struggling. So we see this as both a way to have some good fun and also contribute to a worthy cause.

War of the Ring will be played with three games over the course of the day, combining a mix of the deployment options and victory conditions:

Game 1: 'Maelstrom of Battle' and 'Seize the Prize', with Kingslayer VPs tracked. THat should wake us all up :lol:
Game 2: 'Battle for the Pass' and 'High Ground' (King of the hill!), with Kingslayer VPs tracked.
Game 3: 'Shieldwalls' and 'Kingslayer'
- note that in all cases VPs will be awarded for enemy commanders (highest pts cost hero) and heroes, along with destroyed companies/monsters but NOT for banners. If you've already paid the high cost for a banner, you don't deserve to be doubly penalised.

At the end of the event, the player with the highest VP total gets to be the winner. The aim of the game is not to have cut-throat competition, it is to have three fun and competitive games, a few laughs (or muted winces) when the dice don't go our way, and see who ends up on top. :)

Since this is a GW game, I have some (slight) composition guideline, see the post below or here: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/05/w ... ncing.html

Armies will be built using a maximum of 1000pts. The composition guidelines for this restrict most of the Epic heroes and extremely hard-to-kill monsters to one per army. Some of the less-useful Epic heroes, not to mention legendary formations, will now have a use, since you can take more of them in the army. 'Will of Iron' rolls will now work on a 3+, not a 4+

Lastly, we'd love to see more WoTR gamers come along. There are at least a couple of 1000 pt armies available to those who would like to play but do not have enough LOTR miniatures for WoTR.

Any questions and lists may be sent to me (Jamie) roughwotr@gmail.com

Last edited by Xelee on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: War of the Rings event - Tempest 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 am 

WOTR 1000 pt competition rules.

Rules: 'Will of iron' works on a 3+

Lists: There is a list of all the Epic heroes in the game, below. Your army may only contain one hero from the 'restricted' list. Though you may take as many other heroes or legendary formations as points permit. You may not take any allied Epic Hero, though Good lists may use Epic Heroes from the Forgotten Kingdoms list ('The Shadow of the Nazgul' fulfils the same role for Evil). If you take an Epic Hero from the 'restricted' list, you may not also take a monster with the 'extremely hard to kill' rule. Further, if you do take a monster with the rule instead of taking a 'restricted' hero, you may only ever take one monster with that rule. Battlehosts may be fielded but the restrictions on Epic Heroes remains. The sole exception to this are Battlehosts which require more than one Epic Hero from the restricted list, in that case they may take the minimum necessary. Since the restrictions on Epic heroes remain in place, you may not take one restricted hero in the battlehost and another for the rest of the army.

Good

Gondor:
Restricted: Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir, Imrahil, Isildur, Elendil (The combination of Isildur and Elendil may be taken in a properly themed 2nd Age Numenorian list)
Not Restricted: Peregrin,

Rohan
Restricted: Eomer, Eorl
Not Restricted: Deorwine, Eowyn, Erkenbrand, Theoden, Theodred

Elven Kingdoms
Restricted: Galadriel (Lady of Lothlorien), Thranduil, Haldir, Galadriel (Potectress of Lothlorien)
Not restricted: Celeborn, Elrond, Legolas, Cirdan, Gil-Galad, Arwen, Elladan, Elrohir

The Dwarf Holds
Restricted: Balin, Dain, Gimli
Not Restricted: Floi

Forgotten Kingdoms (may be allies for any Good list)
Restricted: Saruman the White, Gandalf the Grey, Radagast the Brown
Not Restricted: Gandalf the White

Evil

Mordor
Restricted: Ringwraith, Mouth of Sauron, Gothmog, Kardush
Not Restricted: Gollum
Note: Since all Wraiths on Fell-beasts are actuall legendary formations, there are no restrictions on them.

The Fortress of Isengard
Restricted: Thrydan, Saruman, Lurtz
Not restricted: Grima Wormtongue

The Misty Mountains
Restricted: Stone Giant, Dragon, Balrog, Durburz, Druzhag.
Note: a Moria army may treat EITHER the Dragon OR the Balrog OR the Stone Giant as a Legendary formation for the purposes of army construction. Other restrictions remain in effect - these are still monsters with the 'extremely hard to kill' table, and this means they may not be taken with other restricted heroes.

Fallen Realms
Restricted: Ringwraiths (Shadow of the Nazgul), War Mumak, Suladan, Queen Beruthiel
Not Restricted: Dalamyr, Amdur

Angmar
Restricted: Ringwraiths (Shadow of the Nazgul)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:06 pm 

If anyone is thinking of entering but doesn't have quite enough figures and wants to borrow some for the tournie I have the following spare:

6 companies of High Elves
2 companies of High Elves archers
4 companies of Hobbits
Treebeard
3 Trolls (including Musician and Hero Troll)
4 companies of Haradrim Warriors plus the Golden King
War Mumak
3 companies of Haradrim Raiders
Gollum
Elrond
Cirdan
The Tainted
Mahud King foot and mounted
Witch King on Fellbeast
Khandish Chariot
Khandish King on Chariot
The Fellowship (all 9 of them on foot)
3 companies of Easterling Cataphracts
3 companies of Goblin archers
Sauron
The Court of the Dead King (4 companies including king and banner bearer)

These figures are all painted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 pm 

Further to that,

I have both a 1000pt Gondor army with plenty of options, or a 1000pt Angmar (based on Carn Dum Barbarians) army. I am happy to play with either so the other can definitely be borrowed on the day. They are both painted.

I actually do not mind people turning up with some unpainted stuff, as long as the army is a genuine WIP.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:03 pm 

Sweet, I'll be there with my Isengard.

With the restrictions (which I think are good, as I play them with Xelee all the time, and it leads to much better games) I am almost considering dropping the White Wizard in favour of Lurtz and maybe even Grima!

I also have a misty mountains army spare with some goblins (6 coy shields, 4 coy bows) and 24 coys of spiders! It also has a Druzhag, Durburz, 2 Giant Spiders and a Dragon :)

Very much looking forward to this, and its for Charity so I can easily "sell" it to the committe to get the day off to play toys :lol:

Cheers
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:49 pm 

Kruger wrote:
Very much looking forward to this, and its for Charity so I can easily "sell" it to the committe to get the day off to play toys :lol:

How can it fail? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:42 pm 

Can we just pay the $15 on the day?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:54 pm 

Hi Wallacer, I'd imagine so but will confirm @ Cavs tommorrow.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 pm 

I'll be there Thursday as well (playing WoTR) so I can pay then if it is any easier.