South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Want to get started with LotR and WotR - advice needed
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 pm 

I played lotr back when it first came out but never really got anywhere because I was young and had no one to play against.

I've recently been checking out war of the ring and have an interest in building up a collection to contrast my 40k stuff.

I'm quite into the galadhrim models and was wondering where i should begin in building up a force. Am I right in assuming people mostly play WotR rather than standard LotR scenarios etc?

I'd like to have a couple of small armies to play something based around the deeping wall battle so some Uruks are in order too.

I'm a bit confused about all the rulebooks and journeybooks. I assume things have evolved quite a lot since the original three rulebooks and boxed set came out when I played.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Want to get started with LotR and WotR - advice needed
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:56 pm 

Can't really comment on Lord of the Rings. I don't see it played all that much any more.

War of the Rings has a small but loyal following at Cavs.
The best advice I can give you is to build up your common formations, since you can't have more rare formations than you do common formations, so the common stuff is pretty much a must-buy.

Not sure if you have the WoTR rulebook or not, but common formations for Elves are Galadhrim Regiments, Galadhrim Archer Regiments, Wood Elf Warbands, High Elf Regiments and High Elf Archer Regiments. So those would be a good place to start if you're into Elves.

If you're thinking of Uruks (The Fortress of Isengard Army) the common formations are Uruk-Hai Phalanx, Uruk-Hai Warband, Uruk-Hai Scout Warband and Isengard Orc Warband.

If you feel like a game sometime let me know. I have a small Elf army you can borrow if you want to try them out (no Galadhrim though, sadly).

Fwiw, i've found Elves to be quite overpriced (in points terms). I would think of the 2 the Isengard list is probably the more competitive. Uruk-hai can have crossbows, which are great in WoTR. They also get Uruk-Hai berserkers, which are some of my favourite WoTR figures.

Elves are an army which I think would be well suited for experienced gamers looking to play with a challenging list or someone who likes a pretty looking army (the Elf figures are all superb, every last one of them).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:51 pm 

Hi Inquisitor Earl, while I have a self-interest in more guys playing WOTR, I do see a few guys playing LOTR at the Cavs now and then. Perhaps get in touch with Tim or Clinton @ Comics and they might put you in touch with the guy who umpired LOTR @ Conquest this year? Sorry I have no idea what they guy's name is but recognise him so he is around now and then.

WOTR is a very different ballgame to LOTR. While GW may have wanted it to be the natural progression, what has actually happened is that you play WOTR if you love big battles with heaps of figs (as in 100+) and SBG if you just want to play skirmish.

FWIW, WOTR is a very good game and got me into the genre, since the SBG never appealed. I always have a lot of fun playing WOTR, even if Aragorn has a terrible track record of dying for me! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm 

Play WOTR! :lol: myself and most the other guys who play have a couple armies each so just ask me or one of the guys if you would like a demo game sometime. Wallacer is right in saying to concentrate on your common blocks first and foremost and deciding which heroes youd like to add to the ranks.

But yea i encourage anyone who is interested in the game to ask someone else who plays for a demo game, i got Mordor and The dwarven holds so if you ever feel like a game just ask.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:36 pm 

We could probably even get a 2 versus 2 game going if you were interested.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 pm 

If you were interested, there could most definitely be a multi-player/demo :)

Between us all, there are plenty of armies to loan and we all seem to have one Evil, one good.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:21 pm 

I am Starting up a goblin Army so i might be looking for a game sometime

Smile and nod. Smile and nod.

I like you and your friendship means a lot to me but if we were being chased by zombies I would so trip your ass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:44 pm 

Wow thanks for the response guys.

I'm going to start by ordering some Galadhrim warriors and knights boxes plus the rulebook and go from there. I really like the aesthetics of the Galadhrim. That's the main reason i'm going with them. To be honest I like all the armies avaliable but i've always had a fondness for the helms deep battle in the film.

I've got a couple of the Fellowship sets just for painting but it'd be nice to play some of the film based scenarios one day. I guess its just a matter of building up the collection.

A multi player demo game sounds great. I'd be up for that. I'm guessing the new year would be a good time.

I'm over in Heathcote, anyone else over this side of town? If there is going to be a demo game i dont mind making my way over to Cavs. Bus and bike are my only options right now so I dont get to the club often, though id like to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:36 am 

If Cavs is too far away I can give you a game at CWC some time in the new year (not New Year's day though :wink: ).
Any multi-player game would have to be at Cavs though as that's where most of the WOTR players are located.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:29 pm 

Hi Wallacer, it wouldn't necessarily have to be at the Cavs - especially while we are on holiday and the likes of me can actually spare a Sunday afternoon to game! I actually live in Spreydon - the opposite side of town to the St Alban's club, the reason I go there is because it run in the evening.

Of course, if someone has a big enough table that we could use it during the week - even better.

If you organise it, we may come...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:42 pm 

I've won some eBay auctions of models I like. This is what I currently have:

24 Plastic Galadhrim
8 Metal Galadhrim archers
Haldir

18 Riders of Rohan
6 Royal Guard mounted
Eomer Mounted
Eowyn Mounted
36 Warriors of Rohan

Any way I can have a combined Rohan/Galadhrim force? I'm basing my choices on models I like so Galadhrim archers plus Haldir are must haves as are Eomer, Eowyn and rohan royal guard. I'm guessing i'll need a lot more Rohan riders for even a small WotR force.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:17 pm 

Hi Inquisitor Earl,

According to the rules - it's max 25% allies from another good list. So say 1000 pt Rohan could have 250pt Elves. It looks like there is only 275pts ish there anyway (Epic version Haldir plus four coy of Galadrim) so not even that much over the 250. At 1100 pts it would even be 'legal'. Even at 1000pts that 25pts is more than accounted for by you being over-charged in the first place! :)

However, and this is speaking personally, those 'restrictions' (being points based) allow lots of unde-rcosted stuff (like Nazgul, Goblin Black-shields and Corsair Arbalests) as allies while making it harder to ally in Elves because their cost per coy is so high. So I don't think an person familiar with the game is going to have an issue with you fielding a Helm's Deep army with whatever Galadrim you wanted to put in it.

Re: the Rohan, you already have the 9 coy of Riders and three Coy of Royal Guard. RAW, I think you should just run them all 'counts as' Knights (I always houserule it to give all Rohirrm Lances so that Riders appear a little more attractive!) but either way you have almost enough cavalry already and the bigger question is how to split it all up. I really like the idea of a good amount of infantry in Rohan forces, strange as that may seem, gives the Cav something to work around.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:02 pm 

Well thanks to your advice Xelee I have my good side of 1000pts sorted and ready for painting.

I have a friend that wouldn't mind to play and my father even reckons he'd have a go (He likes LotR). I am looking at a 1000pt evil side now.

I'd quite like a moria army but with allied orcs so I could do some rohan vs orc stuff. At the moment I picked up 48 Mordor Orcs and 48 Goblins all new on sprue.

I was thinking of taking Durburz and Druzhag along with a cave drake and starting the basis of the army with a formation of Goblins with shields, captain and drummer and formation of orcs with shields, captain and banner. Perhaps i'll finish the army with a formation of blackshields converted from ordinary goblins with sculpted cloaks and a troll.

I know goblins aren't as good as morannon orcs but i like the models and the idea of a horde of goblins with trolls and a drake with them. I'd like to fit some wild wargs in there if i can as well.

Any ideas/comments?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 pm 

Can't go wrong with the Moria list: the troops are like their equivalents in other Evil lists, but better.
Goblins are better than Normal Orcs (with and without shields), Prowlers are better than 2HW Orcs, Spiders (can be made out of cheap rubber spiders with a little prettying up and basing btw) are great cavalry as a common choice and Blackshields cost the same as an Orc with a shield, but are much tougher and hit harder. Druzhag and Durbuurz are two of the best value heroes in the game and the Dragon (always spellcasting) is a pretty cool unit too.

I think your idea to combine Orcs with them is a good one - lots of the hordes in the books were amalgamations of all sorts. I like your idea to actually model up the Black-shields too. The GW model/concept is pretty cool looking and it is a shame to see them so often just proxied using people's ordinary Goblins with shields. :)

So I think you have a sound basis for an army there but..... more orcs and goblins or other troops (though you could pad it out with Spiders etc) are needed. The unit upgrades aren't really worth it vs their points in more troops so you will probably want to look at phasing them out in favour of more troops, as you get them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 pm 

Thanks for the advice. Those spiders look great. Excellent idea.

I'm definately going to sculpt some blackshields but i wont take too many, dont want to be overpowered.

I guess i'll have to keep on buying goblins as I see them go cheap. No paying GW prices that's for sure. Seems to be some bargains on eBay if one is patient.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this added-to SBG. I'll probably give that a go too.