South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:48 pm 

Sounds like a challenge to the Sultan. The Ottomans are mobilizing.

FoG numbers keeping pace with AdlG, DBA nowhere to be seen. Maybe there is change in the winds over Woolston?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 pm 

The winds have certainly blown at the Woolston, right in the face of my Jurchen Chin came a hurricane force deluge of English arrowheads, down I went big time in the only 15mm AdlG game at the Club today.
Who said Hundred Years War English were rubbish ??

Brent's Welsh longbowmen's arrows were picked up and carried by the same hurricane force winds into various parts of Mark's Pyrrhic army helping to demolish the pike phalanx and half the elephants giving a rare BBJ victory in the only 25mm AdlG game played today. Well done Brent, maybe you have found your One True Army at long last ??? Or was it your dice ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 pm 

good to see some more longbow being used. Just need to get the mix right as they cost more than a medium knight. I must be due down soon so will keep you all in the loop.
Cheers
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:25 am 

Thursday evening saw two 15mm games played. Tony & Gordon playing FOGII, Andre & I playing AdlG. There was a ghostly appearance of DBA, Nathan & Ken set up some troops then sat about yakking for the evening.

Tony's Goths were sent packing by Gordon's Galatians due to some brilliant tactics on Gordon's part and rubbish dice rolling by Tony. Obviously naked fanatics are better than young folk dressed in black..........

My Ottoman Turk army was hastily raised by the Sultan and shipped off to support Al Andalus's campaign against the Hungarians led by the very skillful and colourful Batavian Mercenary, Andreas Everus.
The two armies met on the Andalusian south coast with the Janissaries forming up in a small field beside the Ottoman dancing girls ( Camp ) leaving the rest of the battle line strung out towards the sea, thinking that the Serbian allies and Sipahis would clean up the Christians no trouble while they enjoyed themselves.
Well that's what happened except that it was the Serbian Christians routed ,leaving only the Serbian General fighting on whilst the Sipahis and Akinji Light Horse were hacked down by the Hungarian cavalry and knights.
Well the Janissaries enjoyed themselves suffering no casualties.
Good win to Andre.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm 

Sunday saw a 25/28mm AdlG workshop/fun gaming day organized by Mark with five games played.

Brent, with Falk assisting for a while, threw the Welsh into Mike's Hundred Years War English and went down in a screaming heap. Good win to Mike playing his first AdlG game. Beautiful army too Mike.

Kerry, using Persians, faced off against Andre's Classical Indians with six Elephants leading the charge of the Indians.
The Sparabara and Immortals saw to the Elephants, win to Kerry.

Brent then ran an Early Successor army against Andre and his six Elephants and suffered another defeat due to some strange manoeuvers in front of the Indian Elephants. Win to Andre

Rick, who had been watching and waiting patiently, ran the English against the Welsh under the command of 'Taffy' Mark.
The Welsh were out shot again and become part of the United Kingdom.

I threw my Late Romans passively into Hannibal's ( Matt's ) Carthaginian army and lost heavily when my right flank was turned and my Camp captured. Good win to Matt.

A great day of 'big boy's toys' was had by all.

A Club 25/28mm competition will be getting underway soon. I assume that 'Dino the Dinosaur' will be the Trophy fought over.
Mark will post the details soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm 

Thanks Brian and to everyone for a great day of 25mm gaming.

I'll leave entry to the round robin 25mm comp open for a couple more weeks then post the guide to the comp.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:35 pm 

Sunday saw three 25/28mm games played, two AdlG and one DBMM v2.1

The day got underway with Brent & Andre firing the first arrows in the Club 25/28mm AdlG Competition.
Andre's formidable 6 Elephant Classical Indian army formed up and advanced on Brent's great horde of Welshmen who were positoned well and supported by a number of Knights.
The Welsh Light Horse rushed forward whilst the great horde of Welsh foot advanced & positioned themselves on the hill.
The Indian Cavalry rushed out from behind the elephants and trapped the Welsh Lt Horse who were then charged by Elephants and destroyed as the two lines engaged in a shooting competition. The Welsh, who were greatly intimidated by the mighty Indian Elephants,couldn't hit the side of an Indian barn door let alone an Elephant, broke and ran leaving the Welsh General negotiating surrender conditions.

On wandering over to see what Gordon & Jim were up to I saw a sight that I have not seen at the Club for many a long year, an 8ft x 6ft table covered with hundreds of 25mm Ancients figures and the letters DBMM.

Gordon was setting up a huge army of Early Germans against Jim's, not quite so huge, Greco-Bactrians.
I wandered back a several hours later just as Gordon was calculating his losses and saying "well done" to Jim as the Germans were broken. On looking across at the casualties stacked up I saw 2 Greco-Bactrian Pike bases and approx 30 German Warband bases. The Greco-Bactrian Elephants and Pike had cleared the centre of Germans and won the battle.
Good training run for Call To Arms for both Gordon & Jim.

The second game of AdlG was a tutoral game with Rick, my Late Romans giving Rick's Hundred Years War English a work-out.
The English arrows were thick & fast against the Roman Lt Horse screen destroying several, the Roman Legions advanced between two plantations and destroyed the English Archers whilst the Auxilia and Lt Javelinmen battled away in the plantations against English Heavy Swordsmen and Foot Knights.
Night fell with both armies tattered but not broken.
Rick had a bit of an eye-opener re Ancient Rules, bit different from playing DBA. Not sure which eye .............

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:48 pm 

Three games of AdlG played on Sunday, one 15mm & two 25/28mm.

Brent packed away his 25mm Welshmen into the garage and returned with El Cid and a 15mm Andalusian Arab army tucked under his arm as he had arranged a 15mm game against Kerry.
Kerry formed up his very formidable Jurchen-Chin against El Cid and was on the back foot immediately as Brent had told El Cid to be very bold with the Christian Knights, and he was........The Christian Knights drove all before them in the centre whilst a flanking manoeuvre looted the Jurchen camp.........unbelievable ...... Brent was ecstatic, Kerry was worried, his dice hand was seen to be shaking after the loss of one of his Generals.
A new shipment of arrows, with much sharper heads, was sent forth to the Jurchen troops who used them well. Soon all the Christian Knights were eliminated leading to the demise of the Andalusian army by a very small margin.
Pyrrhic win to a very jittery Kerry.

The big game of the day was Andre playing at being Odaenathus, Prince of Palmyra and Commander of all the 25/28mm Eastern Romans against little ol me and a few Indian Elephants, 'Classical' by nature.
Ganesh, the remover of obstacles, was seated in the Indian Camp and blessed the Indian Army as it deployed to invade Palmyra.
The Romans defended amongst fields and plantations with a large ambush behind a hill ( Auxillia and Archers ), Legions in the Centre, Cataphracts & Light Horse on the Left. On seeing the Elephants deployed to their front the Cataphract Horsemen immediately dismounted.
The Indians advanced against the dismounted Horsemen with four Elephants, Guardsmen, some Light Infantry and a Cavalry unit. The two other Elephants and mixed Swordsmen/Archer units were to keep the Legions and the ambush at bay whilst the 'Heavy Brigade' rolled over the Palmyran Left Wing. And well rolled over it was indeed, for only the loss of a Guard unit to Palmyran horse archers.
The Indian Left Wing and Centre ( two elephants and all the mixed units ) withstood the charge of the Legions and Auxiliaries, thanks to the Blessing of Ganesh, long enough for the Indian 'Heavy Brigade' to turn and attack the Legions in the rear.
In fact Odaenathus was last seen being thrown into the air by a large elephant tusk between his legs.......heus (ouch)
A great battle with much fun and a well deserved Indian Victory.( by 1 point ) Thanks to Andre for lending me his Indians.
And many 'Thanks' to Ganesh for giving the mediocre Indian foot much courage.

The second 25/28mm game of the day was Big Mike's Hundred Years War English against my Late Romans.
The tactics were the same as last Sunday's game against Rick, a concentrated attack by the Legions against one English Battle whilst the weak Cavalry wing danced around trying to avoid arrows and the Cataphracts gave close support to the attacking Legions. The waves of English arrows and some bad deployment by the Romans caused havoc and disrupted the Roman attack.
The Legions could not exploit the few holes they made in the English line and withdrew as night fell.
Winning Draw to the English, well done Mike.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:00 am 

Hi Brian, so were those comp games for the ADLG round robin.

Win to Brian, Loss to Andre.
and Draw Brian/Mike.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:10 pm 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
Hi Brian, so were those comp games for the ADLG round robin.

Win to Brian, Loss to Andre.
and Draw Brian/Mike.

I would say a big YES but Andre would say we never agreed on making it a Competition game so NO

Game with Mike was just a 'learner' for Mike, so No.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:55 pm 

Ok cool thanks Brian :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:22 pm 

Mark,

I believed it was a competition game, so a win to Brian (and 2 wins to my Indians....if we are keeping records of armies).

I'm playing Kerry on Sunday...he's using my Early Achaemenid Persians. I'm using Palmyrans, they are a challenge to use and fun.

Andre

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:29 pm 

Ok thanks Andre :)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:03 pm 

There was a noticeable absence of Ancients players at the club today.

The only game was a very close game between Brent using Andalusians and my Palmyrans. I chose to defend and put down maximum terrain including a field in front of my centre. After seeing both our deployments Brent declared the game impossible for him to win, but agreed to play it out. Both his blocks of spears refused to advance and expose themselves to shooting from my archers in the field.
His left wing of knights and light horse advanced rapidly and did supposedly suicidal charge into my legions and camels. After a very long and bloody fight he destroyed all but 2 of the legions.
On his right his lancers and light horse destroyed my cataphracts and light horse by repeatedly charging and then disengaging.
His loses were extensive and his army was almost broken when mine ran. If his spears had shown some gumption I believe he would have won easily.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:16 pm 

awesum4 wrote:
On his right his lancers and light horse destroyed my cataphracts and light horse by repeatedly charging and then disengaging.

Well done Brent.........a win :D

Tell me about this 'Hit & Run' tactic ?
Did Brent find some 'cheese'?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next