South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:55 pm 

Three AdlG games today, One 25mm, Two 15mm.

Andre & Matt played a 25mm Club Competition game, Andre deploying his Palmyrans ( Romans with Camels really ) against Matt's fresh looking 16 units of French Ordnance, most of which were Elite.
Palmyran casualties were heavy but some sneaky camels managed to get around behind the French Knights and stick things into their freshly decorated rears.......oooowww painful. The Knight General never recovered from the painful experience.
The more numerous Palmyran Foot just managed to inflict enough casualties as their army was about to flee, breaking the French army. Draw

Brent ran his Andalusian Arabs against Rick's new Republican Romans. The Andalusians had some minor tweaks prior to the battle to strengthen their punch, and punch they did. The Knights went straight over the Legions, others danced around the Roman Elephant taking out the supports, game over. Good win to Brent.

AdlG newcomer, Joe, had an introduction to the Rule Set using Brent's Sui & Tang against my Jurchen Chin.
Much time spent explaining the rules and working our way through the various stages of a game.
Joe had a great time charging the Cataphracts and shooting up my Medium Cavalry with his mixed Spear/Bow.
When we finished the game several hours later most of the two armies were engaged in Melee with Joe having experienced most of the basics. He bagged a Jurchen Cavalry General and had a winning draw under his new belt. Well done Joe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:50 pm 

Only one game today, a 'learner' 15mm AdlG between Rick and myself with "keen to get into AdlG, I have the Rules" Josh watching.

Rick fielded EIR Romans ( with no Camels ) against my Jurchen-Chin 'shootie' army.
Rick won the initiative and attacked across an open field, most of the terrain was on the edges.
The Roman Left Wing was all Heavy Cavalry, Centre all Legionaries with a couple of Velites, Right Wing a mixture of Auxiliaries, Velites and a couple of Light Horse.
My Right and Left Wings were five Impact/Bow Cavalry with two Light Horse Bow, Centre six Mixed Foot, Sword/Bow and a Heavy Cavalry CnC.
Rick advanced quickly and it was not long before my entire army was shooting and scoring hits. After my Right Wing evaded once from the Roman Heavy Cavalry they stood and received the second charge thus almost the entire Jurchen-Chin army was in Melee.
A couple of rounds of combat later the Romans were fleeing the field. One Roman General had three units destroyed under him so had four moves to another unit in one turn. I threw a 6 when the unit that he was leading in a Melee went down so he escaped.
He was a rather battered General at the finish.
Rick learned a few things during the game one of which was that a Fortified Camp was compulsory for EIRs.

Good to see more players getting into AdlG.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:05 pm 

So what is the ADLG player count now in ChCh Brian, including learners? Must be 12-15 by now surely?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am 

StephenLadanyi wrote:
So what is the ADLG player count now in ChCh Brian, including learners? Must be 12-15 by now surely?

No idea of Christchurch numbers Steve.
CWC would have approx 10 Members playing or about to start.

re L'Art de la Guerre, what is the correct nomenclature ?
ADG, ADLG, AdlG, AG, the French Rules etc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:44 pm 

Brian wrote:
StephenLadanyi wrote:

No idea of Christchurch numbers Steve.
CWC would have approx 10 Members playing or about to start.

re L'Art de la Guerre, what is the correct nomenclature ?
ADG, ADLG, AdlG, AG, the French Rules etc

I thought there was only ONE club where wargames are played in Christchurch these days? :wink:

If you look on the official French website you'll see they use the acronym "ADLG".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:49 pm 

StephenLadanyi wrote:
I thought there was only ONE club where wargames are played in Christchurch these days? :wink:

Only the one Club that plays Historical Wargaming, the one that you are a Founding Life Member of.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 pm 

Just the one game today, 15mm ADLG.
Brent is training hard for Garagecon using his Andalusian Arabs and today gave battle to my Jurchen-Chin.
We trialled the AB DCPP ( Andre&Brians' Dice Cup Phasing Player ) system of rolling dice during the game.

Jurchen had the initiative and invaded in Plains.
The Arabs set up with a waterway on one flank, a gentle hill in the centre, an orchard and field near the centre against the waterway and two other fields across the centre of the battlefield.
The Arabs deployed with the Heavy Spearmen on the base of the hill, the Christian Knights and Light troops against the waterway and the Andalusian Heavy Horsemen on the other flank.
Lovely battlefield for the Jurchen, field in front of the hill for the Sword/Bow mixed units and open spaces just wide enough for the Mounted wings on the flanks.
Jurchen move up into a shooting position and await the advance of the Arabs.They only advance with the Christians and Spearmen and hang back behind a field with the Heavy Horsemen in the open.
Jurchen open fire and score many hits. Bit of a skirmish develops in the field next to the waterway as the lights dance around looking for a good position to hamper the opposition. The Arabs get some assistance from a nearby goat herder, well stocked with dairy products, and managed to expose the flank and get behind some of the Jurchen Cavalry as the Christian Knights charge. The Spearmen are over the top of the hill and advancing down upon the Swordsmen/Bow, some of which are on the lower slopes where they have been shooting up Knights.
The Knights cause a casualty on the Jurchen Cavalry but do little other damage due to the shooting casualties suffered earlier.
The Spearmen suffer casualties all along the line on their advance downhill into the Mixed Sword/Bow and do little damage when the melee starts.
The Arab Left wing advances to support the Spearmen and gets shot up and lose half their number in the melee.
One more turn and it would be over with the Jurchen only losing 6 points up until this time.

The Arabs then call for peace talks, hang the Goat Herder for inferior quality products, begin looking at their organisation and discover that there are more Elite Heavy Horsemen than the Treasury can afford, good thing that they were culled by the Juchen.

Note on the AB DCPP system.
I brought along my set of 80 dice in 7 colours that I supply to players in competitions that I run, we picked one dice each, Brent red, me purple. These were placed in a Dice Cup.
The Phasing Player rolled the dice during every shooting and melee phase. ie both dice placed in the cup and rolled together.
This gives a 'neutral' aspect to dice rolling.
There was a good variation throughout the game, no strings of any number. I was impressed with the way it went.
Brent thought that it made a two player game seem like a Solo game as the non-phasing player had nothing to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:33 pm 

Three games of ADLG today, two 25mm learner games & one 15mm between two regular combatants.

Brent continues his Garagecon training running out the Andalusian Arabs against Kerry's Jurchen-Chin, a great army I use it myself.
I did not see much of the game but was told that it was close, a win for the Jurchen-Chin.

I ran my 25mm Late Romans out against the Achaemenid Persians who were under the command of 'ADLG learner' Josh.
Josh managed the Elite shootie Cavalry, and mixed units of Immortals & Sparabara very well, the Greek Allies not so well.
Andre was not backward in coming forward with news from the nearby goat herders, Josh & I learned much.
The Romans advanced the Cataphracts and Heavy Cavalry into the Persian shootie cavalry as the Legions advanced towards the Immortals & Greek Hoplites, suffering many casualties to shooting. The Persian Cavalry managed one evade but left their Light Horse pinned and crushed by a combination of Roman Light & Heavy Cavalry as the Greek Hoplites charged the Roman Legions with the Immortals shooting in support. The Sparabara were playing a minor role keeping the Roman Auxilia and Archers busy applying bandages to their many wounds.
After several rounds of melee the Greek Hoplites were crushed, the Roman Cavalry caught and crushed the Persian Cavalry suffering some losses in the process. The Roman CnC was killed in combat against the Immortals as the Persian army broke.
Close game, only 3 or 4 points in it at the finish.

The big game of the day was Big Mike and his 'Big Seleucid Elephant Death Star' against Andre's revamped Roman Camel
(Palmyran) army. The Seleucids performed exceptionally well, so well in fact that the 'included' CnC's Combat factor was not needed by his Pike Phalanx for several turns. The Palmyran Camel was seen wandering around with many arrows sticking out of its hide as it performed 'pinning' operations on the unsuspecting Seleucids. ( a goat herder has been assigned to the CnC's entourage )
Andre got lucky in the final turn and managed a Mutual Destruction.
Look for a re-run between these two next week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 am 

Thanks Brian, any of these club competition games??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:23 pm 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
Thanks Brian, any of these club competition games??

No. Next week Mike & Andre are booked for a Club Comp game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:44 pm 

Ok great thanks Brian.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:53 pm 

Only one game tonight. Andre using Han Chinese against Kerry with Jurchen-Chin. Very short and brutal. Andres shooting aided by Kerrys appalling dice destroyed the Jurchen-Chin. By Kerrys count he threw ten ones in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm 

The shooting merely finished off his army. His medium mixed units who wiped out 4 auxilia and 4 bows in our last game killed a light foot before dying to a man.
He threw a 1, a 4, then ten 1s. Changed die and threw 2s, which is a 100% improvement. But by then it was too late.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 pm 

Brent wrote:
Only one game tonight. Andre using Han Chinese against Kerry with Jurchen-Chin. Very short and brutal. Andres shooting aided by Kerrys appalling dice destroyed the Jurchen-Chin. By Kerrys count he threw ten ones in a row.

You should have used the ABDCPP system of Dice rolling, or was it the heavy foot of the Han sending shivers up Kerry's die-rolling arm ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:12 pm 

Two games today, both LDLG.

The big game of the day was a 25mm competition game between Andre's Palmyrans and Mike's Seleucids with the Elephant Death Star command.
Andre has been plagued by 'below average' dice results (to say the least ) of late and left his dice at home.
He had heard of, and indeed played against them last week, Mike's 'dreaded Green dice", so leaving his dice at home was a sneaky tactic, some might say, to share these dice.

The Palmyrans invaded in Desert Terrain, causing a few problems for the Seleucid General although he was happy to see the Palmyran Cataphracts deployed opposite the Elephant Command. He wasn't so happy to see them turn and march off at great speed away from the Elephants. The Elephants saw much combat from a distance but little of there own in the battle.
The Palmyran Camels zoomed around and found some easy targets as the Seleucid Thracians charged the Cataphracts trying to buy time for the Phalanx to advance and engage the Legions.
The Palmyran Archers managed to charge the Phalanx in the Flank after the line lines crunched and brought victory to the Romans by a 6 point margin.

The other game was my Ottomans V Keith's Later Hungarians.
Hard fought battle with brilliant tactics by the Hungarians Generals cutting off the evade path of the Ottoman Cavalry with Light Horse then charging home with the Knights.
The Ottoman Janissaries did well destroying an entire Hungarian Command of Medium Cavalry.
The last move of the battle began with both armies 1 point off breaking and ended with the Hungarians winning by two points.
Great game, thanks Keith, good win.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9