South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:53 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:10 pm 

Only one game today, Andre and his pre 280BC Seleucid Army challenged my Classical (Guptas) Indians in a 300pt ADLG game.
The Indians defended with their right flank against a mighty river with a few scattered fields & a gully about the battlefield.
The Indian mixed Sword/Bowmen deployed on a hill adjacent the waterway with Heavy Chariots, Elephants & Guptas Heavy Cavalry to their left. The Seleucids deployed Pike Phalanxes opposite the Heavy Chariots & Elephants and an Elephant/Thracian 'Death Star' opposite the Guptas Cavalry. Word arrived from near by villagers of Seleucid Cavalry moving through jungle beyond the battlefield in a flanking manoeuvre.
The Indians were inspired by the exploits of the Warring States army moving this way & that in an attempt to flummox the same Seleucid army only seven days ago so tried the same tactic. The Guptas Cavalry turned and moved to the right through a field then turned and moved back when news of the Seleucid mounted flank march reached them.The Elephants, after some hesitation,turned and went in support of them leaving their Light Infantry screen to skirmish in front of a phalanx.The Heavy Chariots advanced and attempted to outflank the Phalanx on the left flank of the Seleucid line then turned and retired when they were squeezed.
The Indian mixed Sword/Bowmen did managed to outflank the Seleucid line and threaten the Seleucid Baggage.
The Seleucid flanking force arrived & were charged by the Guptas Cavalry supported by the disarrayed, slow moving Elephants charging part of the Seleucid 'Death Star' formation.The battle began in earnest with these two commands from each army heavily engaged whilst the centre Phalanxes slowly advanced destroying the Elephant Light Infantry screen (which had been left to skirmish in front of the Phalanx ) and a Heavy Chariot which charged out of control into a Phalanx.
The Guptas General along with his entire cavalry command was destroyed with few losses by the Seleucid flanking force, where as the supporting Indian Elephants, in total disarray, managed to destroy an Elephant & beat off the 'Death Star'.
The Indian Army broke just as the Indian mixed foot were about to loot the Seleucid Baggage.
Well done Andre.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:22 pm 

Sunday June 23rd
After watching Steve at the World Champs I was inspired by the army used by Dan Hazlewood so without any knowledge of his army list put a 300 point 15mm 251 Ottoman Empire army on the table today and played Andre's Seleucid and Brent's Warring States Qin.
I invaded against the Seleucids.
I had two mounted commands , a Janissary command and a heavy artillery command.
Against Andre the Janissary Command, deployed on the Right Wing opposite the Seleucid Elephants & Thracians, rushed out to gain a footing in a field before engaging them. After some good results from their bows the Janissaries were charged, they held and eventually annihilated the Elephants & Thracians with minor losses thanks to some very skillful dice cup shaking......
The Heavy Artillery deployed behind some Forifications, with War Wagons & a couple of Azabs supporting, facing a Pike Phalanx
The Pikes advanced but never made it into combat before the Seleucid army broke & routed due to the very skillful Ottoman Artillerymen & a dice cup Operator......
The main striking force of Ottoman Cavarly, the elite Qapukulu & Sipahis supported by Turkomen & Akinji Light Cavarly, and the Ottoman Left wing mounted Command of Sipahis & Akinji shot up the Seleucid Right Wing of Xystophori, Galatian Cavalry & Infantry and a Pike Phalanx, then engaged in a large melee where much tactical skill by the recently conscripted Dairy Workers from Thrace & Galatia was beaten off with many boisterous calls of "go back to making your dairy products "
A very surprising ( to me ) Victory for the Ottomans 12-32

Game two against the Warring States Chinese was totally different although the Ottomans did Invade again.
The Ottomans deployed the Janissaries on a hill opposite a large Command of Fanatical Warriors, then the Heavy Artillery with little in front to shoot at. On the Right Wing the strike force of Qapukulu, Sipahis and Light Horse was opposite Heavy Chariots & two Commands of Heavy Foot. The other Ottoman Cavalry Command was sent on a flank march against the Chinese Right Flank.
Well the Flank march arrived on Move Two !!! Yahoo !!! I thought this will be a quick game with the Janissaries and flankers crushing the Fanatics quickly then moving on to the Chinese Camp and flanking the Heavy Chariots as the Ottoman cavalry strike force shot up and pinned the Heavy Chariots. Alas due to some very blunt Janissary swords and many bent arrows the Chinese Fanatics held up well, the last fanatic fell as did the night, preventing the collapse of the heavy Chariot Command. The Two Chinese Heavy Foot Commands never saw any action apart from some fire support. Each side lost a General in the fray.
As night fell the Chinese withdrew into Xianyang, their capital.
Winning Draw to the Ottomans, 13/30 Warring States 25-35
I was expecting another good win but it was not to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 pm 

Sunday 14th July, Two games of ADLG. Andre & Keith played a 15mm Game, not sure of the armies involved but I think Keith won. maybe Andre can give a game report.

The big game of the day was Brent & I having a warm up for the Dinosaur Challenge.
300 pts 25mm ADLG, Brent used Middle Imperial Romans & used Late Imperial Romans
Table size is massive compared to the 15mm scale and terrain takes up less area giving more open battles.
I defended & decided to flank march a command of Auxiliaries on my right flank hoping to capture Brent's Camp and envelop Brent's Left Wing.
Wow a 6 first up, I thought that it was going to be a quick game, but no.
My flankers got tied up slogging it out against the Legion and my killer command of Legionaries was tied up and never made it into contact with the flanks of Brent's left wing.
On the far end of the table our two mounted wings fought it out with my boys eventually winning but taking casualties. Brent's Right Wing Legion demolished my Legion opposite where as his Centre was flanked and broken, causing the loss of his army
Close game, Win to the Late Imperials but only a couple of break points in it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:27 am 

I used Seleucids against Keith's Burgundian Ordinance. He had a massive shooting advantage so my plan was simple, rush forward and charge immediately. The plan worked well with very few shooting casualties on the way in. But he outdiced me in the first 2 rounds of combat. His mixed spear/longbow units destroyed many of my pike some of which were elite. I expected a hard slog against his foot knights but they just slaughtered me.
My elephants stomped some foot knights and my mounted beat his but they were small victories
A decisive win to Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:13 pm 

awesum4 wrote:
. But he outdiced me in the first 2 rounds of combat.
A decisive win to Keith

Kerry..............where are you :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:47 am 

He is around but has other commitments. Rumours of secret training camps where elephants are being trained to waltz are just that...rumours only.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 pm 

Big day at the Woolston today, seven of us playing ADLG. Must be a record for a normal Club day.

One 15mm 200pt game & three 25mm 300pt games.

The 15mm game saw Ben's Gallic horde squashed by Keith's Medieval Germans thanks to a super powerful Heavy swordsman ripping the Gallic flank apart and causing the Gauls to break.

Hero of the 25mm games today was Brent, his Mid Imperial Romans were unstoppable.
Brent's four commands of Romans quickly overpowered Andre's three commands of Germans due the German flanking force finding a bierkeller close by.

Brent's Romans then withstood the onslaught of Gordon's Japanese Samurai army. The Samurai arrow storm having little effect on the well cast Roman armour where as the Roman gladii cut through the Samurai warriors.

My Late Imperial Romans were no match for the finely tuned Seleucid army of Mark. Boy what an army, beautifully turned out with glittering shields and pointy pikes, massive elephants and flamboyant cavalry lead by a fancy Strategist.
My flank march was squashed in rather quick time and the Legions could not withstand the grind of the Pike Phalanx.
Highlight for the Romans was a lone camel shooting up a mighty elephant. Good win to Mark.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:15 pm 

BIG day today, eight of us played two games of 300 points 25mm ADLG thanks to Dino the Dinosaur.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 pm 

Only One game today, 25mm Big Battle DBA.
Gordon & I had a DBA 'refresher' after playing in the Dinosaur Challenge where the ADLG Rule Set was used.
Boy we needed it, how far do Lt Horse move, 4 or 5 ? Can overlaps shoot... all that sort of stuff. One of the largest differences is getting used to the DBA ZoC again.
Gordon used Medieval Swedes, I used Mid Imperial Romans.
Gordon placed a waterway and did a Littoral Landing with 3 units of Crossbows. This was illegal, it should have been the whole command landing but we did not find out until a few moves later, anyway it was a 'refresher game'.
The Romans Legionaires and Auxiliaries found it tough going against this Nordic horde and were getting taken apart by the fierce Allmoge crossbowmen on the flanks where as the main battlelines of heavy foot played push & shove with few casualties to either side. Both Roman wings collapsed thus the Romans were driven out of Sweden.
Good win to Gordon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13