South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

Closing Down 30th April 2021

It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:34 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 pm 

One game today ADLG, 25mm, 300pts between Gordon & I.

Gordon's Later Samurai defended against my WotR Lancastrians.
Two heavy chopper armies with archery supports and a wing of heavy cavalry. The Japanese army was nearly all Elite.
Basically a line up and await the Japanese choppers trundle through the longbows whilst the two cavalry commands tried to out manoeuvre each other on the open wing.
The Longbow shooting was lacking and my cavalry got tangled up and were engaged by Archers and Mounted Samurai.
The two infantry lines crashed and there was much chopping, mainly English heads rolling along the ground...........
Casualties were heavy on both sides as the English choppers finally got into the swing of things.
The English choppers not being Elite, folded before the Samurai and broke after a lengthy tussle.
The Samurai were 1 point off breaking at the end.
Long ,tough, battle with the elite troops on both sides performing well.
Well done Gordon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:06 pm 

Sunday 7th saw Rick & Ken playing Sword & Spear.
I came, I saw, I know nothing about the game as i was playing Bolt Action.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:22 pm 

One game today, 25mm 300points ADLG between Big Mike & his Late Imperial Romans with a Frank Ally and Gordon's Mid Imperial Romans.
The two lined up on a reasonably open field with the Late Imperials larger army extending past both flanks of the Mid Imperials.
The lines crunched. The Late Imperial Frank Ally took the brunt of the casualties whilst the Romans pushed through and around the Mid Imperials. Good win to the late Imperials. Well done Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 pm 

One Ancients game today, 25mm 300points ADLG between Andre & his Persians, with a Greek Ally, and me & my Franks.
What a game it was too.
The Frank Chieftain was a dill brain trying to fight the Persians amongst fields & orchards whilst the Persians out manoeuvred and shot them up until the Franks broke and ran.
Exceptionally grand win for the Persians, 6-35. Well done Andre, and without the Greeks !!!
Hopefully Andre will tell the true tale of this epic encounter in his colourful prose.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:47 pm 

Today Ken and I played an excellent game of Sword and Spear, his post Mongol Samurai against my Hussites, 400 pts each. We played 40mm frontage per unit as Ken did not have the troops to play 80mm frontage per unit.
I set up the wagenburg with war wagons interspersed by flailmen/halberdiers and artillery. Ken parted his army to avoid my artillery shooting down the middle; his allied warrior monks (3 units) and 1 unit of bow heading for my right flank. His 3 units of foot samurai and 1 unit of mounted samurai heading for my left flank, his 2 foot units of Ashigaru stayed back to keep an eye on his baggage and act as a reserve for either flank.
Seeing an opportunity on my right flank I charged his bow (who were not prepared with an activation device) with a unit of hussite cavalry. Following behind the cavalry were 3 units of flailmen/halberdiers. In two turns my cavalry destroyed the bow and over the following turns the Hussite cavalry and flailmen/halberdiers destroyed the warrior monks and their allied leader.
On the left flank a unit of foot samurai charged ahead of his two comrades and heavily damaged a unit of war wagons, but were then destroyed by a unit of flailmen/halberdiers before the other two units of foot samurai could intervene.
One of the two foot samurai units remaining on the left flank responded by destroying another flail/halberdier unit and then pursuing to engage and heavily damage a war wagon unit. The second foot samurai unit remaining charged the first war wagon unit damaged in the combat destroying it, then pursued onto the damaged war wagon unit above destroying it also; again it pursued onto a second Hussite cavalry unit who had no activation dice ready. Bad dice saw the hussite cavalry also destroyed.
The following turn saw the Samurai cavalry charge a flail/halberdier unit, destroying it and the attached leader. One of the remaining samurai foot units was finished off by fire from a war wagon unit, and the remaining unit of samurai foot destroyed an artillery unit and the hussite baggage.
At the end phase of this turn the post mongol samurai army had broken having lost a bow unit, 3 foot warrior monk units and two foot samurai units. My hussite army was one point away from breaking having lost 3 flail/halberdier units, 1 cavalry unit, baggage, 1 artillery unit, and 3 war wagon units so I had to pass some checks which resulted in failure and my army also breaking.
Result mutual destruction. Good game Ken.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:54 pm 

Welcome to Ancients at the Woolston Easy.
Good report, we all look forward to more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:40 am 

My Achaemenid Persians took on Big Mike's Imperial Roman's in a 300pt 25mm game of ADLG.

Mike win initiative and chose to defend in plains which turned out to be a mistake as it allowed my cavalry to move in force against his left wing cavalry command. After a hard field his cavalry were destroyed with the Roman commander dying in the final combat.

Apart from 3 fields in my left sector there was no terrain that played any part of the battle. The legions deployed next to the cavalry with his Frankish ally next to them. His large auxillia command faced the fields but with more fields outside them.

My sparabarra raced around the flank of his auxillia shooting as they went. My Greek allies were deployed between the fields ready to rush the auxillia but were unreliable and played no part in the battle. The immortals were in the field facing the auxillia and advanced to take them on once the sparabara were in place. A couple of them were mauled by Frank's but by then his army had collapsed.

I am enjoying the flexibility of the Persians against more static armies. There are no supertroops but the combinations work well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:12 pm 

Wow .............over 60,000 views.

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:47 pm 

One game at the Club today, 300pts, 25mm ADLG, between Gordon's Galatians (273BC) and my Alexander the Great's army of Macedonians.
The Galatians gained the initiative and invaded Macedonia on a very open field near the coast.
Alexander deployed the Companions and supporting Light Horse on the Left with a gentle hill to their front, two phalanxes and a command of Thracians and Elephants on the Right.
The Galatian army was nearly all Warriors ( heavy impetuous elite swordsmen ) with 3 Scythed chariots opposite the Companions and 5 elite Heavy cavalry opposite the Thracians.
Alexander's plan was to rush the Companions & Light Horse into & around the Galatian Right wing, smash it and turn on the flanks of the warriors as the pike phalanxes engaged the the main Galatian line of Warriors. hmmmmm
The Scythed chariots took some time to be removed by the light troops thus the Companions were delayed somewhat. When they did charge into the warriors to their front they stalled and bogged down. Alexander himself then joined the fray but even with support was not able to break through until nightfall.The Galatian General opposite the Companions was killed just as night fell.
As night fell the pike phalanxes charged the Impetuous Warriors and came to a shuddering stop.
Thankfully night fell and both sides withdrew in good order.

Note, it was the Club's Xmas BBQ Lunch today hence a loooonnnng lunch break.

Result a Draw, Galatians 13-32 Alexander 5-32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:16 pm 

Happy New Year to all from the Ancient Players of the Woolston.
May we have an enjoyable year of friendly, interesting and entertaining ancient games reflecting our love of history and gaming.

Ancients at the Woolston 2021 began with one Ancients game today.
ADLG 25mm 300points between Andre & his Palmyrans led by Odaenathus,Imperator Totius Orientis, and me waving a red rose about cheering on my Lancastrians over fields & gentle slopes covered in Palmyran orchards.
The Lancastrian advance towards the Palmyran Right Wing was ambushed by Palmyran archers forcing it to stop and become a fuddled mess due to lack of orders. This allowed the Roman Legion to advance around the orchard and out flank & destroy the Lancastrian heavy swordsmen with little loss.
The Palmyrans redeployed their centre commands of Cataphracts and another Legion around to support the Cataphracts who were about to engage the Lancastrian Right Wing of Archers & Heavy Swordsmen.
The counter the counter the Lancastrians rushed the Welsh & Irish into a field where they despatched some Palmyran Light troops and advanced on the Palmyran Baggage. The Legion turned and smacked them about. Meanwhile the Lancastrian Right Wing began shooting at the Cataphracts who were trying to turn the flank, and caused some casualties. The Longbow were joined by the Heavy Swordsmen but too late as the Cataphracts had smashed the longbowmen on impact.
Meanwhile the Lancastrian mounted command wandered about through the large gaps made by the Palmyran redeployment and watched as some Irish Kern sacked the Palmyran camp then turned and wandered back just in time to see the Lancastrian Infantry break & run.
Win to Andre 24-36 v 30-30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:57 pm 

One game of Ancients today, 300 points 25mm ADLG
Gordon ran his Nikephorian Byzantines against my Alexander the Great army on a field with plantations, fields and a gentle hill.
To stop the Byzantines from dismounting their cavalry Alexander flank marched his Elephant command which arrived on move 3 then stumbled for a while due to a shortage of orders as the General raced ahead with some Light Cavalry and captured the Nike baggage. On his return the Elephants and Thracian infantry charged and made big holes in the Nike cavalry on the hill. Meanwhile the Macedonian Pike Phalanxes advanced and engaged a mix of Cataphracts, Skoutatoi & Varagian Guards whilst Alexander lead the Companions into a wall of Kavallarioi & Norman Knights.
Both lines suffered many casualties and as night fell Alexander lead a charge of Hippakontistai into the flank of a disrupted Norman Knight which would break the Nike army if it routed............woe is Alex........ he failed to get the better of the Normans.........Both armies turned and retired.
Draw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:18 pm 

War Clouds over Woolston this weekend saw 28 games (or there abouts ) of ADLG played by 13 keen Ancient players.
There were 3 tables of 15mm 200points ADLG in use by 7 players with each table hosting 3 games a day.
The 25/28mm 300 points ADLG players were only playing 2 games a day on their 3 tables, with a couple of byes due to Brett having to catch a plane in the afternoon
The Best performance in the 25/28mm 300point ADLG was from Mark with 3 wins.
He showed much talent with a variety of armies and ran rings around the heavy foot armies, literally.
Hopefully Andre can tell some tales of the 15mm 200point ADLG Event, maybe some stories about his Poles being routed or his Bedouin thrashing the French Knights, or maybe Brent's tales of woe.....say no more...

Thanks to Brent & Gordon for helping with the set-up and set-down of the gaming area.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:01 pm 

Due to the forthcoming closure of this Forum Andre suggested that I set up a Facebook page entitled
' Ancients at the Woolston '
What do you Ancients at the Woolston Contributors & Supporters think about that ?

please post your comments here.

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18