South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:17 am 

Yesterday, Sunday 12th, saw a mini South Island AdlG Tournament ( well sort of ), a Natcon 25mm BBDBA warm-up and a 15mm DBA game

AdlG players from around the South Island gathered at the Woolston for a mini tournament as a lead-up to Natcon, where rumour has it, 14 or more AdlG players (including two Australians,and the Australian Champion Shaun Drummond ) will be battling to be the first New Zealand AdlG Champion.
Speedsters Josh the Grumpy Doge from Nelson using Swiss, and Brent the local known as BBJ using Han Chinese, managed to fly through two games with a win each whilst Ian the Sicilian Norman from Ashburton using Normans from Sicily,and Keith the Cavalier Flamer from Christchurch using Seleucid, struggled through an arduous game with Ian emerging from the Rule Book the winner.
An epic struggle was had by locals Kerry the new Scot using Scots Isles and Highlanders, and Paul the Intense " let me read the fine print in French" using Ptolemaic, ended in a draw after four or more arduous hours........they will find the two hour games at Natcon a problem for sure. :roll:
Result, Winners Brent & Josh with 1 speed point each. Second Ian with 1 head-scratcher point.

The 25/28mm BBDBA Natcon work-out attracted five players and three games were played

Josh fielded his new, just about completed Gauls, against Mike using an experimental Seleucid composition, which failed against the fast Gallic Warband onslaught. Well done Josh :D
Gordon ran Marian Romans against my Mid Imperial Romans and suffered from a bad deployment allowing my skilful play :twisted: to prevail...

Gordon then lined up his Marians against my Romans under the capable command of veteran 25mm DBM gamer Dave from the TGIF Club. Dave out played and out diced Gordon's black dice with Gordon's borrowed yellow dice.
Well done Dave, glad to see you back at the CWC again after an absence of many years.

Down the other end of the Clubroom amongst the peace and quiet Rick the Red rolled out his 15mm Spartans ( SPARTA !!! ) against Eric of Fort fame and his Odaenathus Palmyrans, where the Spartans found themselves in front of a line of bad terrain and a Fort with Cataphracts,legionnaires and archers filling the gaps. Tales of woe and much wailing were heard in Sparta today.

Well a good day for Ancients gaming at the Woolston, good numbers and much good fun had by all.

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:51 pm 

Any photos (or blog posts) ?

http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 pm 

Hi Paul, No photos or Blog posts, just me rattling on here as this is my pseudo Blog.
Mark O is playing 25mmBBDBA on Sunday so he will probably post something to his Blog Site.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:58 pm 

Sunday March 19th, Andre's AdlG Natcon 'Mystery' army was put to the sword by Rex's Later Achaemenid Persians then trampled by Paul's Ptolemaic horde. Yes the mist over the Mystery Army is becoming contaminated with elephant dung for sure.. :shock:

25mm BBDBA saw Gordon's Marian Romans go down big time against Jim's Gupta Indians with nine elephants squashing the Romans without losing a base.
My draw with Gordon was a non event compared to that.

My 25mm DBA game against newcomer (to DBA ) Keith Caukwell was a blazing success for Keith winning the Roman civil war against me.
All hail the new Emperor.

New Rule set to the Woolston appears, SAGA.
Rick & Eric rolled out a 25mm Saga game of which I saw very little, I heard tell that Eric's army prevailed even though Rick had a Hero.

Note to Paul, Jim did take a photo but I am at a loss as how to post them here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:42 pm 

Sunday 26th saw Keith Caukwell once again battling away at 25mm BigBattle DBA with his own army, Italian Ostrogoths.
These lads had not been used for many years but rolled my Mid Imperial Romans with a massed charge of 15 knights into my left wing and crushed it thus winning the game.
Mike's Seleucid army of elephants, scythed chariots and massed pikemen battled long and hard to gain a Pyrrhic victory over the Ostrogoths.

Today, Tuesday28th, four of us had a big 15mm DBA workout for Natcon with seven games played.
Mike using Marian Romans beat Eric's Palmyrans taking out the General in the process.
Rick's Spartans held off my Lydians in a 4-4 draw.
Mike then ran over my Lydians and chalked up another General.
In the reverse game the Lydians crushed the Marian Romans ending Mike's winning streak.
Rick's Spartans followed in Mike's pedisequus (footsteps) and rolled the Palmyans and their General
Mike's Marians then beat up the Spartans
Eric & I advanced into the Medieval period where my Scandanavian Union Army rolled Eric's Teutonic Knights without an iceberg in sight...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:09 pm 

It was a great chance to catch up with you all a couple of weeks ago. Hope to do it a few times over the winter months and grab Ian when he is available. Thanks for the hospitality and good banter.

Looking forward to the upcoming event, much blood will be lost under the hail of... what was it, .. pike.. 2 handed chopper or the stampeding charge from the Chariots. Hmm the choices..

Anyhow, thanks ladz. See you all soon

Peoww

aka TheGrumpyDoge for anyone with Pike and Shot Campaigns that wants a game

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 pm 

Sunday 2nd April the Woolston was packed with Ancients players, all practising for Natcon no doubt.. :D

AdlG had about 8 players playing 2 Rounds during the day, big upset of the day was Andre getting covered in elephant dung by AdlG newbie, Keith Hewitt... :oops: :oops: Well done Keith...... :D :D

25mm Big Battle DBA had 4 players, big upset of the day was veteran Ancients player Gordon getting trampled by Josh's new Gallic army........well done Josh... :D :D

15mm DBA game between Eric and Rick was a win, again, for Eric I believe.( "curse those forts..." muttered Rick )

Saga was once again played, this time Eric V Vince, result unknown to me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:50 pm 

Brent Kerry & Paul had some last minute practise today, looks like Kerry & Paul are ready to rock with each gaining a win.
Paul has become an expert on terrain and the placing there of whilst Kerry knows all about hill sitting...beware :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:39 pm 

Two games today, both 15mm AdlG.
Brent's Han Chinese gave my Hundred Years War English a very hard time, I survived and won with one point in hand.
Jim's new TradeMe Japanese army was clobbered by Rex's 'Great Host of Rabble' ( I think it was his Natcon army ).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:07 pm 

Brian wrote:
Two games today, both 15mm AdlG.
Brent's Han Chinese gave my Hundred Years War English a very hard time, I survived and won with one point in hand.
Jim's new TradeMe Japanese army was clobbered by Rex's 'Great Host of Rabble' ( I think it was his Natcon army ).

Did the foot knights struggle or the longbow misfire?

There is a certain quality to the quantity of trash Rex has.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:45 pm 

Today saw the first 25mm AdlG game at the Club, Mark will probably give some details on his Blog.
Brent's 15mm Han got smacked around by Aaron Leslie, ex Woolston Club Committee Membership Thug now living in Tipperary ( it's a long way...) Ireland who was using my Hundred Years War English.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:29 pm 

Brent's Chinese and Han-Lite, not real Han at all. He has lost the Mandate of Heaven and so will be cursed to lose every battle he attempts to play with this army.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:13 pm 

Today was Han-less....surprise , surprise. Not a Han to be seen.

Erik gave Nathan another introductory game of Saga, seemed to be over quite quick, whilst Brent & I struggled on with our two 15mm AdlG games.
Game one saw my Classical Indians with Elephants, War Wagons, Heavy Chariots, Lt Chariots mixed Swordsmen/Archers smash the Three Kingdoms Chinese in very short time thanks to a multitude of '1s' from Brent. Definite case of the 'Dave Evans Syndrome'
Game two was much tighter where I suffered from the D.E.S.. At nightfall the Indians were 4 off the 20 required to break whilst Brent's Han...ooops, Three Kingdoms were 3 off the 27 required.

We made a few errors of one sort and another throughout the day as neither of us are au fait with elephants and war wagons.
Erik pointed out a major error whilst we were packing up, war wagons can only shoot from the sides....... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Also discovered that war wagons cannot move and shoot.........bugger another blunder :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:
("ingrained in the brain DBA" I say )

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:04 pm 

This Sunday Josh from Nelson and Ian from Ashburton will be at the club playing 15mm ADLG. So anyone who wants to come along and have a game or two with them or other players is welcome to come along.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:28 am 

Big day at the Woolston yesterday, Sunday 14th, Eric & Nathan playing Saga and 3 tables in constant use by 7 of us playing 6 games of 15mm AdlG. Rumours of the Wan Tru Han using magic on Ian to win by 1 point are unfounded says the spokesman for the Wan True Han.
Other notable rumours about the quality of the Indian elephants proved to be true as Josh's Japanese now have a new village full of Indian vendors and a circus full of limping elephants... :oops: :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next