South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:34 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:11 pm 

Sorry Brian but I can't actually do next Sunday, Andre had already enquired, will have to try again another time!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 pm 

Well that looks like two Forum readers so far.
I will have to look else where then Mark, how about your opponent of last Sunday ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 pm 

Sunday (March 15th) saw three ADLG games played.
Brent & Andre continued their NatCon training campaign playing two 15mm 200pt games.
Brent using his well practised Warring States against Andre's Mid Imperial Romans (Andre using Romans ??? )
After Brent checked Andre's List they settled down, lined up and the Romans charged across the field, the Legionaries routed the Chinese Infantry without stopping whilst the Roman Cavalry were tangled up amongst the Chinese Heavy Chariots for a short time.
Good win to the Romans.
Game two, Andre fielded a fantasy list of Berbers against Brent's Warring States, there were mutterings of dairy products but some Andalusian Allies turned up with Christian Knights allowing the Chinese to indulge in a feed of rice. This obliviously upset the gut of the Chinese as they turned and fled the field once again.
Good win to the Berbers and the Christian Knights.

The big game of the day was a 25/28mm 300pt ADLG game between Gordon's Galatians and my new army (thanks Gary ) of Franks.
Two armies of Impetuous Heavy Swordsmen, would be tough I thought so I flank marched on my Left Flank hoping to use the road to get some light infantry into the Galatian Camp whilst delaying the Galatian advance on my Right. A couple of Light Foot and a Cavalry unit did a good job.
My flank march arrived about move 4 when the centres were heavily engaged and my right wing was holding up the Galatian Scythed Chariots and Cavalry very well. The flank march got into action and was the main cause of the Galatian collapse, although the battle lasted for some time the Franks managed a good win in their first outing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:43 pm 

One 300pts 28mm ADLG game between Gordon & I and two 200pts 15mm ADLG games between Andre & Alan Stedman.
Alan has re-established contact with his Club Mates from distant times & Rulesets. Welcome back Alan.
Andre will write up a report of their encounters.

The big game of the day was a decider between Gordon's Galatians and my Franks as we were 1 win each in our past two games.
Gordon's Galatians gave my boys a right royal thrashing last Thursday at Gordon's to even the score.
Our third game of trying to get our head around Impetuous Troops in ADLG.
Gordon defended on an open battlefield with fields on his right flank and deployed his mounted wing of elite Heavy Cavalry and Scythed Chariots on his Left Flank. The Franks lined up opposite with some light foot in the fields covering the Franks Left Flank
Rather straightforward tactics employed as 21 Galatian elite Heavy Swordsmen impetuous & 4 Heavy Cavalry supported by 3 Scythed Chariots were charged by 24 elite impetuous Heavy Frank Swordsmen plus a handful of light foot and a couple of Cavalry.
The Franks were lucky to make the first holes in the enemy line and thus managed to exploit the cracks and break the Galatian army suffering heavy losses in the process.
Win to the Franks giving them a win in the Galatian / Frank campaign.
After 3 games Gordon & I have learnt much about the rules but it is hard work. We are looking forward to V4.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:56 pm 

Alan has returned to playing ancients at the club. Fielded his Ilkhanid army organized according to advice from a Frankish military expert.
First game was against my Mid Imperial Romans who defended between the Danube and some farmland and grape vines. The ilkhanid elite heavy cavalry advanced rapidly flanked by Hospitaller knights and then the ilkhanid medium cavalry. The ilkhanid shooting was pathetic and the overconfident Roman infantry decided to have a laugh at their commanders expense. When he ordered "brace yourselves for impact" they all turned around, raised their tunics and bent over. Unfortunately Mongols and Hospitallers have no sense of humour and charged home to great effect.

After a slight reorganization including a better general which meant they invaded instead of defending the now overconfident ilkhanids invaded North Africa. They met a Berber army on the shores of the Mediterranean. The Berbers had deployed at the edge of the local farms giving the ilkhanids an open battlefield. Just advancing in a line worked last time so no need for fancy tactics. The elite heavy cavalry stood when charged by lunatic Tuaregs. They took loses but survived. Next bound the knights and medium cavalry charged bowman mixed with elite spearman and further out 2 cavalry charged another bowman flanked by ordinary spearman. The Berber bowmen survived the impacts and knights and cavalry took hits. Within a couple of turns the few remaining Mongols fled the battlefield to begin the long trudge back to Asia.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:18 am 

As a community we need to be looking after each other even if it means conveying unpleasant messages or having to convince friends and colleagues to "come around" to the new reality. It's our duty to call out socially irresponsible behaviour in the new environment to protect both our hobby community but also wider NZ society.

1. The medical and experiential evidence is clear and being well communicated daily on Radio NZ.
2. A rapid exponential increase in positive Covid19 case numbers overwhelms a country's medical resources - as a result large numbers of people die. example: Italy.
3. Exponential increases get to a point where the number of positive cases doubles every 3 days - increases in NZ positive cases may be on the verge of exponential climb.
4. We have a chance to stem that dramatic rise if we act now and act hard.
5. Most people with Covid19 are asymptomatic - they do not show symptoms but the virus is silently present. For every positive case there are many undiagnosed positive cases.
6. The only way to stop the virus spreading is to stop close physical contact with other people and wash your hands - when the virus runs out of human hosts it dies because it can't spread further. Unfortunately some of the humans also die in the process; the vast majority will get better if they have sufficient medical resources etc.
7. Countries (hurt by SARS) that have moved very quickly to "lock down" have managed to get the new case growth rate under control so that their medical resources can cope with helping those infected. example: Singapore.

An online petition calling for the Government to immediately move to Alert Level 4 initiated by hospital ER doctors a couple of days ago is circulating and has now gained many non-medical signatures . I think it may have gained something like 40,000 signatures in 48 hours.

My advice is:
1. Wargames clubs must close now.
2. Follow the physical distancing and personal hygiene guidance on the http://www.Covid19.govt.nz website.
2. If you are over 65 or already "medically impaired" - get your regular flu jab now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm 

Lance Corporal Jones has send us a message
https://youtu.be/nR0lOtdvqyg

Here is the guff on the best defence against C-19
https://ethiqueworld.com/blogs/how-to/soap-and-covid-19

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:55 pm 

The panic is over, you may stand down Lance Corporal Jones. Many thanks for your vigilance over the last couple of months keeping us all save & sound.
Today was the first Club Day since the Lockdown moved to Level 2 and saw 3 Ancients games played, the largest number of any rule sets played today.
2 x 200pts 15mm & 1 x 300pts 25/28mm game.

Brent ran his 15mm Warring States against Ian Doel's Normans of 1066 and was thumped by all the Norman knights I believe.
Maybe Brent can enlighten us.

Andre & Tim had a 15mm game but I know little of it except Tim had the better of Andre, I am hoping Andre will also enlighten us of his misdeeds.

The BIG game of the day was Gordon's 300pts of 25/28mm Medieval Rebel Swedes V my Franks of the 5th Century AD
Two large 'walls' of heavy swordsmen lined up opposite each other. The Swedes had a rear rank of crossbowmen supporting their swordsmen against the impetuous Frankish warriors. The Swedes were at a slight disadvantage in melee against the ' Furious ' charge of the Elite Frankish warriors so had to inflict as many casualties as possible before the Franks closed and they caused plenty but no 'kills' so the Frankish line crashed into the Swedes and after several rounds of melee had broken through in several places and broke the Swedish army for the loss of only 2 units. 17-30 win to the Franks.

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:47 pm 

Damn should have showed up and helped support the Woolston, but thought it would be too busy anyway. How many people in today Brian do you know?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 am 

Ian was up from the wilds of Ashburton and I used my Warring States Chinese against his 1066 Normans. He hit one end of my Heavy Foot Sword Impact line with Impetuous Medium Knights and rolled up my army.
there were about 15 people there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:34 pm 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
Damn should have showed up and helped support the Woolston, but thought it would be too busy anyway. How many people in today Brian do you know?

Mark there were 10 of us gaming, a painter or 3 and 6 - 8 (approx) people wandering in and out during the day to catch up with the goings on at the Club.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:07 pm 

Ok cheers, I had assumed that between the Wargaming and other sections it would be quite tough to get in with only a 100 person limit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:37 pm 

I used Seljuk Turks against Tim's Italian Condotta. We got a great battlefield with all the rough terrain on our right flank, and devised a very cunning plan involving massed cavalry sweeping away his right wing light horse and shooting up and outflanking his knights, while the elephant stayed as a baggage guard and the Dailami raced down the road to engage his infantry.

Unfortunately the Italians had an even more cunning plan and withdrew their light horse behind the line of knights who charged vigorously forward (throwing 6s in 2 consecutive charges). My left wing mostly chased shadows before flank charging the end knight who 6-1 me. Cavalry evading the second charge threw a 1 and were smashed by them.
The elephant who was supposed to be a baggage guard destroyed 2 knights, while the other 18 elements killed 2 knights and a light horse before fleeing the battlefield.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 pm 

awesum4 wrote:
(throwing 6s in 2 consecutive charges). who 6-1 me. Cavalry evading the second charge threw a 1 and were smashed by them.

Now what would Kerry say to all that ??? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:15 pm 

Only one Ancients game today, ADLG, 28mm, 300points

Gordon's Medieval Scandinavian Rebel Swedes Defended against my Henry Tudor's Wars of the Roses Lancastrians.
We spent most of the game in a Crossbow V Longbow shoot-out until the Swedes casualties mounted and they had to charge the line of English Heavy Swordsmen/Longbow and the Irish Light Foot on the English Right Flank
The Swede's casualties mounted even more but they were fortunate that night fell and both armies retired in good order
Draw, English 12 - Swedes 18

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next