South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:17 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 pm 

Again only one Ancients game played on Sunday.
ADLG, 28mm, 300points between Gordon & me.

A rerun of last Sunday's encounter but with more combat as the English Cavalry managed to get into contact a short time before night fall and the appearance of Swedish Handgunners who managed to smoke up a corner of the field once as night fell.
Another hard fought draw English 18 - Swedes 22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:37 pm 

Only one game today and what a game it was !!!
15mm 200pts ADLG Andre's Alexander the Great V my Late Romans with a Frank Ally.

Andre's Alexander the Great army attacked my Late Imperial Romans who were supported by a Frank Ally, in a lightly forested part of the LIR Empire.
I deployed thinking that the dreaded Elephant 'Death Star' would attack towards my Baggage Camp which I had deployed on my Right Flank, but no, Alexander being as great as he is deployed it on his Right Flank opposite my mounted wing of Impact Heavy Cavalry and Hun horse archers, hmmmmmm OK I will have to rely on my Frankish Allies who were in the centre adjacent to the Heavy Cavalry.
The Macedonians advanced towards my line, the Elephants going through a large area of brush straight towards my Cavalry.
My Frank Ally General, Childeric, holding the centre, immediately went Unreliable with all the Frankish warriors shaking in their caliga.
The Legions of my Right Flank held the line between the Franks and a rough covered gentle hill.
The Macedonians were right in our faces, the Roman Cavalry turned tails and moved away, the Franks stopped shaking as Irmin had waved his hand over them, and charged headlong into the fray. The legions followed the Franks.
The Franks were unstoppable, crushing a large chunk of the Macedonian Pike Phalanx on first contact and inflicting much damage along the line Pikes & Spear. The Romans, inspired by the power of the Franks, charged causing much damage for little loss.
The Macedonian Death Star advanced on the flank and rear of the Franks and caused some casualties to the Frankish Warband being lead by the Childeric who was leading his heroic troops into the fray.
The Roman Cavalry turned and charged the rear of the Death Star in support of the Franks. Childeric was last seen charging the elephant and disappeared in very mysterious circumstances, it is believed he was carried off to the sacred woodlands of the deity Tiwaz.
All the while the Roman Legions were fighting and matching the Franks in vigour and heroism, dispatching the Macedonian General, Cleitus the Black, into a black hole.
The Macedonian Elephant was charged in the flank by the Roman Heavy Cavalry and that was the end of Alexander's campaign into the Roman Empire as his army crumbled.
Very good win to the Romans (thanks to the Gods ) against a General of Generals.
Romans 16 (20) beat Alexander 26 (23)

Last edited by Brian on Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:30 pm 

Only one Ancients game today, ADLG, 28mm, 300points.
There should have been two games but a messenger sent by Andre to Basil from Brent, fell off his horse and spent the day in a local tavern recovering, so we were told.

Once again Gordon's Medieval Scandinavian Rebel Swedes Defended against my Henry Tudor's Wars of the Roses Lancastrians.
We spent most of the game in a Crossbow V Longbow shoot-out with both sides manoeuvring to get the best positions for shooting. Most of the English Archers were in rough going making it difficult for the Swedish Heavy Foot Swordsmen/Crossbow to close to melee, this forced the Swedes to charge the English Heavy Swordsmen 2HC. The casualties mounted amongst the Swedish Foot but the Swedish Knights were engaged by the English Currours & Border Horse and beat them off causing several casualties for no loss.
After several hours the Swedish casualties from shooting and melee caused the Swedish army to break.
Win to the Lancastrians 22 - 31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:47 pm 

I notice that there are 54,700 views of 'Ancients at the Woolston'
Must be popular :)

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:08 pm 

Only one Ancients game today, ADLG 200pts, 15mm.

Basil's Triumvirate Romans + Numidian Allies lead by Julius Caesar, attacked my Late Imperial Romans and their Frankish Allies.
Big Julie picked a battlefield flanked by Plantations with a gentle hill between.
My Roman Legions & Franks deployed between a plantation and the gentle hill, my Heavy Cavalry atop the hill faced off against the Numidians.
No mucking around by Big Julie, a rapid advance even though his Legions and Thracians were rather cramped and cavalry were trying to redeploy around behind them, advanced quickly into contact.
Big Julie's boys had blunt gladius and the Tracians never got to chop anything with their Rhomphaia whilst most of the Numidian Light Cavalry were sent packing by the Foederati Heavy Cavalry.
Chop, hack & whack and it was all over with Big Julie racing back to the Rubicon.
The remnants of the Triumvirate Romans surrendered.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:14 pm 

One Ancients game today,15mm, 200pts, ADLG.
Tilman ( on walkabout from Nelson) ran List 255 Ilkhanid Mongols against Basil's List 172 Normans.
Basil defended and placed maximum terrain getting a gully,plantation & a field to deploy behind where as the Mongols had a field, a rough covered gentle hill and a road parallel to their base line.( there was some discussion on the psychological effects of roads placed along baselines)
Basil deployed the Norman Spearmen on his Left Flank and the two Knight Commands in the Centre & Right.
Tilman deployed his largest Command, Elite Medium cavalry, Elite Impact Heavy Cavalry and a couple of Light Horse Archers, lead by the Brilliant CnC, Dang, opposite the Spearmen. This command fielded the only Infantry in the Mongol Army, three dismounted Cavalry Light Foot Bow. The Mongol Centre and Left was covered by one Command of Elite Medium Cavalry & an Impact Heavy Cavalry General and a couple of Horse Archers.
Using reverse psychology Tilman flank marched his third Command on his Right Wing and this Command duly arrived very early due to the Mongol's Fairy Godmother's Daughter, the beautiful Ava the Magical waving her magic wand over this part of the battlefield.
The Mongol Left Wing kept the Norman Knights busy whilst the Mongol's CnC's Command and the Flanking Force cleaned up the Norman Spearmen and Camp. The Norman Right Wing & Centre succeeded to push some of the Mongol 'shootie horse' off the back edge and came close to capturing the Mongol Camp but the Norman army collapsed before too much damage could be inflicted.
Good win to the Mongols, 5 - 24.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:26 pm 

Over 40 gamers at the Club today but only one Ancients game played ,15mm, 200pts, ADLG.
Big Mike defended with his Spartans against my Late Romans with a Frank Ally.
The Spartans massive line of Hoplites with a few mounted troops sitting atop a gentle hill were charged by the entire Roman/Frank army. The Spartans got themselves a little tangled up and their Left Flank was delayed whilst they cleared some Thracians from the front line to their flank allowing the Roman Infantry and Franks to thump into two Spartan Commands. The Impact factor meant that the Franks & Romans went in one factor up and they did well, the Franks Furious charge splattered Spartans all over the place.
The Roman mounted wing meantime charged up a hill fleeing the tiny Spartan mounted detachment guarding the flank of the Spartan line, turned and charged the flank of the Hoplite Heavy Spearmen.
All over in a very short time.
Good win to the Roman/Frank army.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:07 pm 

Two ancients games at the club today, one a pedestrian affair between two large 25mm armies that Brian will report on. The other a clash between my entirely mounted Medieval Poles and a mostly foot Warring States Chinese fielded by Brent.

The battlefield suited us with his army deployed between a waterway on his right and a field on his extreme left, with a small field in front of his right centre.
His chariots held the space between the waterway and the small field which was held by his light horse-archers. His massed heavy foot fitted nicely between the two fields but the withdrew to the baseline when the saw the massed Polish knights. A few bows and medium swordsmen cowered in the fields.
Our CinC Vytautas the Great lead the follower cavalry and horse archers against the chariots and when the refused to charge out he led an attack on the hore-archers in the small field. Although Vytautus was a great strategist he proved to be a shite fighter and took 4 rounds of combat to destroy a light horse who had been disrupted from shooting. The Chinese nobles refused to be tempted into charging him in the flank (muttering something about being charged in the flanks by my cavalry), and spent the entire battle looking inscrutable.
As the Polish Nobility trotted magnificently towards the massed Chinese foot their archers advanced to shoot up the flank guard cavalry and hussars. A single knight was despatched to deal with them and he did great slaughter although his supports died andb he eventually fell to cowardly flank charges from medium swordsmen.
The line of Nobility distained moving to reduce flank threats and charged the centre of the enemy line. The sub-generals Casimir the Not so Important and Lech the Insignificant lead from the front smashing their way through the enemy line and running down the skirmishers cowering behind them. The entire Chinese front line was shattered and the army fled the field of battle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:07 pm 

Two ancients games at the club today, one a pedestrian affair between two large 25mm armies that Brian will report on. The other a clash between my entirely mounted Medieval Poles and a mostly foot Warring States Chinese fielded by Brent.

The battlefield suited us with his army deployed between a waterway on his right and a field on his extreme left, with a small field in front of his right centre.
His chariots held the space between the waterway and the small field which was held by his light horse-archers. His massed heavy foot fitted nicely between the two fields but the withdrew to the baseline when the saw the massed Polish knights. A few bows and medium swordsmen cowered in the fields.
Our CinC Vytautas the Great lead the follower cavalry and horse archers against the chariots and when the refused to charge out he led an attack on the hore-archers in the small field. Although Vytautus was a great strategist he proved to be a shite fighter and took 4 rounds of combat to destroy a light horse who had been disrupted from shooting. The Chinese nobles refused to be tempted into charging him in the flank (muttering something about being charged in the flanks by my cavalry), and spent the entire battle looking inscrutable.
As the Polish Nobility trotted magnificently towards the massed Chinese foot their archers advanced to shoot up the flank guard cavalry and hussars. A single knight was despatched to deal with them and he did great slaughter although his supports died andb he eventually fell to cowardly flank charges from medium swordsmen.
The line of Nobility distained moving to reduce flank threats and charged the centre of the enemy line. The sub-generals Casimir the Not so Important and Lech the Insignificant lead from the front smashing their way through the enemy line and running down the skirmishers cowering behind them. The entire Chinese front line was shattered and the army fled the field of battle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:34 pm 

The 'pedestrian affair' was a 25/28mm 300pts ADLG game between Gordon's Gallic horde, with Sub General Big Mike assisting, and my Franks under the command of Rick, with me as Sub General commanding the Right Wing opposite Mike.
As both armies were composed of mostly foot troops it was indeed a pedestrian affair.
The armies formed up in two lines with the Gallic line overlapping the Frank Right Wing.
The Franks advanced at speed with three Commands, the fourth Command, under my command, hung back in an echelon formation to prevent being outflanked.
After a little skirmishing by the light troops the lines of Heavy Foot crashed into each other with many cries of 'not another 1' by the Gallic Generals, and many 'wow another 6' by the Frank Generals.
Say no more as after three or four rounds of combat the Gallic Army was smashed, the remnants turning and running to the rear.
Magnificent performance by Rick commanding the mighty Franks for the first time.
Great Frank Victory 15 - 36
Franks only lost 2 elements

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:55 pm 

Two Games of Ancients today.

Newcomer Rule Set, Sword & Spear, makes an appearance. Rick & Mike played 300 pts 28mm Sword & Spear v2.
Mike ran Early Imperial Romans against the Gallic horde under the command of Rick
All went along at a sedate pace, being a new ruleset, until Mike's Legions turned the Gallic left flank then 'whamo' the Gallic battle line crumbled very quickly. There were murmurs of 'those b....y green dice again....'
The Romans never lost a base defeating the Gallic army.
Absolutely amazing Victory to the Romans.

Brent & I played 200pts 15mm ADLG, my Late Imperial Romans with a Frank Ally were confronted by an Andalusian Arab army Defending on a field with a waterway on one flank, a gentle hill and three fields. A road traversed the hill behind the Arab army to the waterway and was to play a vital part in the destruction of the Roman Army's Ally.
The Romans deployed in a tight line, Mounted Wing adjacent to the waterway opposite the Arab Cavalry, Franks & Legions opposite the Arab Spear in the Centre, with the Auxilia deployed as a flank guard in the fields.
The plan was to charge forward as quickly as possible into the Arab Cavalry and Spear letting the Arab Knights dangle out on the Arab Left Flank opposite the two fields.
The plan was set in motion but the Franks sent out messengers to the Roman CnC asking for more gold & land before they would advance causing the Roman advance to grind to a halt. Meanwhile the Arab CnC had seen the error of his ways and noticed a gap in his line opposite the dithering Franks and rushed the Arab Knights down the road to form up opposite the Franks just in time as the Roman CnC had sorted the Franks and they began advancing.
The two armies crashed together and a short time later most of the Arab Spearmen were destroyed for no loss to the legions but all the Franks, including the 'greedy' Frank General and several Roman cavalry units were destroyed by the Arab Cavalry & Knights.
Close game, the Arabs winning 19/24 to the Roman 21/20
Well done Brent.

N.B. Never place roads on your opponent's base edge.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:44 pm 

Now which visiting Polish commander made comment on the silliness of placing the road in the opponents deployment area? We may eschew fancy maneuvers in favor of an immediate advance but even we wouldnt do that.
As for relying on a German general who doesnt even ride a horse....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:01 pm 

Back to only one Ancients Game today, 300 points, 15mm, ADLG, between Brent & I.
Brent brought along his beloved Warring States, Qin, with Heavy Chariots to squash any Franks that got in his way, as he did recently using an Arab Army, he had heard rumours of more Franks taking up arms against his forces.
He had heard correctly, a Roman Commander of the Later Imperialists, schooled in the Arts of War using Franks at the Shrine of Vytautas the Great, in the Slavic Lands near the mighty Vistula, was indeed invading China with a large force of Frankish Allies.
Both armies deployed amongst farmland and orchards with the Romans having a gentle hill behind them.
The Romans invaded and made sure that there were no roads to be seen.
The Qin deployed across the entire area with fields to their front and fields on their Left and orchards their Right.
The Roman Commander deployed across only half the field, the Franks on the extreme Right lined up to advance on a small group of Qin Heavy Swordsmen next to a field full of cattle.
Two large formations of Legionaries spread across to the left of the Franks and were anchored on two fields. The Roman Cavalry was formed up in column between the two forces of Legionaries and were to advance against the four Heavy Chariots cramped up two wide & two deep between Heavy Foot and fields.
The cunning Roman Commander had returned from the Vistula with knowledge of deadly poisons which corrupt Han Chinese put into the Qin Chariots horse feed. He also deployed the Franks in sight of a herd of cattle as he knew that they loved a good BBQ steak.
All was set and the Roman commander orders the advance, after the mighty fanfare had subsided the Franks could not be seen advancing, grrrrr what the .... ???
Only one unit in the Roman army advanced, the Cavalry advanced through in single file with Hun skirmishers leading the way.
The Qin had stolen a march on the Romans with a magic potion no doubt, but the Roman commander was ready, he rushed over to the Franks and pointed to the Cattle to their front saying that the cattle were theirs for feasting upon during the Victory Celebrations. The Franks were jubilant and began advancing.
The Qin heavy Chariots crept slowly forward supported by the heavy foot whilst the other half of the army ambled forward with nothing in front except plantations and fields.
The four Commands of the Roman army were now deployed in attack formation and advanced on the small force of Qin Heavy Chariots and Swordsmen. The Qin infantry had to turn and move backwards to give the Chariots some room to expand their line. This spelt disaster as the Romans charged and caught them in the rear, literally a bum job there Qin !!
A few turns later it was all over for the Qin and the Franks were feasting on BBQed beef.
The Heavy Chariots fell as their poisoned horses floundered exposing huge gaps which the Legionaries and Frank Warriors exploited fully. The Roman Gods were looking most kindly upon them. A Gold Laurel Wreath was awarded to a unit of Legionary Skirmishers for a brilliant attack into the flank of Qin Archers destroying them.
The Qin General was last seen floundering around wiping his steamed up eye-pieces and throwing all his lucky charms away.

With no losses (4/30) the Roman/Frank army accepted the complete surrender of the Qin.

Last edited by Brian on Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:41 pm 

You forgot to mention the six 6 -1s in sequence the destroyed my chariots and supporting foot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:43 am 

Brent wrote:
You forgot to mention the six 6 -1s in sequence the destroyed my chariots and supporting foot.

I mentioned that your chariot horses were 'poisoned by the Han' Brent, also that you were throwing away all your Lucky Charms.
This is not a dice game according to our beloved friend from the Vistula....The Mighty Polish General, Vytautas the Great, who crushed your Qin in mid August.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next