South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:01 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 pm 

Again only one Ancients game played on Sunday.
ADLG, 28mm, 300points between Gordon & me.

A rerun of last Sunday's encounter but with more combat as the English Cavalry managed to get into contact a short time before night fall and the appearance of Swedish Handgunners who managed to smoke up a corner of the field once as night fell.
Another hard fought draw English 18 - Swedes 22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:37 pm 

Only one game today and what a game it was !!!
15mm 200pts ADLG

Andre's Alexander the Great army attacked my Late Imperial Romans who were supported by a Frank Ally, in a lightly forested part of the LIR Empire.
I deployed thinking that the dreaded Elephant 'Death Star' would attack towards my Baggage Camp which I had deployed on my Right Flank, but no, Alexander being as great as he is deployed it on his Right Flank opposite my mounted wing of Impact Heavy Cavalry and Hun horse archers, hmmmmmm OK I will have to rely on my Frankish Allies who were in the centre adjacent to the Heavy Cavalry.
The Macedonians advanced towards my line, the Elephants going through a large area of brush straight towards my Cavalry.
My Frank Ally General, Childeric, holding the centre, immediately went Unreliable with all the Frankish warriors shaking in their caliga.
The Legions of my Right Flank held the line between the Franks and a rough covered gentle hill.
The Macedonians were right in our faces, the Roman Cavalry turned tails and moved away, the Franks stopped shaking as Irmin had waved his hand over them, and charged headlong into the fray. The legions followed the Franks.
The Franks were unstoppable, crushing a large chunk of the Macedonian Pike Phalanx on first contact and inflicting much damage along the line Pikes & Spear. The Romans, inspired by the power of the Franks, charged causing much damage for little loss.
The Macedonian Death Star advanced on the flank and rear of the Franks and caused some casualties to the Frankish Warband being lead by the Childeric who was leading his heroic troops into the fray.
The Roman Cavalry turned and charged the rear of the Death Star in support of the Franks. Childeric was last seen charging the elephant and disappeared in very mysterious circumstances, it is believed he was carried off to the sacred woodlands of the deity Tiwaz.
All the while the Roman Legions were fighting and matching the Franks in vigour and heroism, dispatching the Macedonian General, Cleitus the Black, into a black hole.
The Macedonian Elephant was charged in the flank by the Roman Heavy Cavalry and that was the end of Alexander's campaign into the Roman Empire as his army crumbled.
Very good win to the Romans (thanks to the Gods ) against a General of Generals.
Romans 16 (20) beat Alexander 26 (23)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:30 pm 

Only one Ancients game today, ADLG, 28mm, 300points.
There should have been two games but a messenger sent by Andre to Basil from Brent, fell off his horse and spent the day in a local tavern recovering, so we were told.

Once again Gordon's Medieval Scandinavian Rebel Swedes Defended against my Henry Tudor's Wars of the Roses Lancastrians.
We spent most of the game in a Crossbow V Longbow shoot-out with both sides manoeuvring to get the best positions for shooting. Most of the English Archers were in rough going making it difficult for the Swedish Heavy Foot Swordsmen/Crossbow to close to melee, this forced the Swedes to charge the English Heavy Swordsmen 2HC. The casualties mounted amongst the Swedish Foot but the Swedish Knights were engaged by the English Currours & Border Horse and beat them off causing several casualties for no loss.
After several hours the Swedish casualties from shooting and melee caused the Swedish army to break.
Win to the Lancastrians 22 - 31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:47 pm 

I notice that there are 54,700 views of 'Ancients at the Woolston'
Must be popular :)

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:08 pm 

Only one Ancients game today, ADLG 200pts, 15mm.

Basil's Triumvirate Romans + Numidian Allies lead by Julius Caesar, attacked my Late Imperial Romans and their Frankish Allies.
Big Julie picked a battlefield flanked by Plantations with a gentle hill between.
My Roman Legions & Franks deployed between a plantation and the gentle hill, my Heavy Cavalry atop the hill faced off against the Numidians.
No mucking around by Big Julie, a rapid advance even though his Legions and Thracians were rather cramped and cavalry were trying to redeploy around behind them, advanced quickly into contact.
Big Julie's boys had blunt gladius and the Tracians never got to chop anything with their Rhomphaia whilst most of the Numidian Light Cavalry were sent packing by the Foederati Heavy Cavalry.
Chop, hack & whack and it was all over with Big Julie racing back to the Rubicon.
The remnants of the Triumvirate Romans surrendered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16