South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:16 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:58 pm 

At yesterdays garage sale Brent and I both acquired chariot armies which were originally used by Martin and acquired by Basil who having taken the cream resold the remainder. So it seemed only fitting to play an almost historical battle today.

My Assyrians swept down into the Hittite lands like unto a wolf upon the fold, prepared to smite them mightily where the rough ground of the foothills became the plains.
The Hittites had split their infantry to deploy on both flanks to contest the fields and plantations there while their swarms of chariots drew up in the centre but leaving a rather large gap between their right wing infantry and their chariots. We had cunningly massed all our foot on our left with the heavy chariots beside them and a light weight chariot force to hold off half the Hittite army.

Boldness was of the essence and our infantry raced through fields, vineyards and gullies with the chariots also galloping forward. The Hittite army advanced warily with skirmishers inflicting a single hit each on both our infantry and heavy chariots. With cunning use of the single unit of light horse on the table to prevent one of the Hittite chariots evading our heavies charged...the Hittite commander threw caution to the wind and evaded leaving the single chariot to die pathetically.

The bulk of the right wing infantry charged the Assyrianinfantry and broke one at impact but most of his line collected hits. The remaining unit treacherously charged the flank of a heavy chariot and broke it to pursue into the flank of the next one, that unit was then charged in the flank by Assyrian bowmen and died horribly as such treachery deserved.

On the other flank the Hittite infantry had bravely cleared a plantation of non existent Assyrians and then executed some rather puzzling manouvers which left them facing in several different directions.

The Light chariots of both armies became engaged in a confused series of single combats with loses on both sides. The Hittite left flank collapsed with their supporting skirmishers running from the table. The Assyrian heavy chariots destroyed some more chariots, killing the enemy commander in the process and looted the baggage capturing their God. This lead to the collapse of the Hittite army's morale.

A victory for the Assyrians due to a combination of skillful choice of troops, skillful organisation, and rapid advances to contact where we had advantage. The dice Gods played no part, there were no series of 6-1s to enhance or lessen our victory.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:14 pm 

Good to hear that this was NOT a dice game........eh Brent :(
Good report from the Assyrian /Polish General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:05 am 

At the point my army broke the Assyrians were about ready to slink back into the foothills as they were close to breaking themselves. I destroyed most of his mixed bow/sword units some of his light chariots and at least one of the heavies. Unfortunately his elite impact swordsmen carved up my spearmen.
Heavy Chariot impact elite and Medium swordsmen impact elite are a nasty combination.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:42 pm 

I wrote a really detailed report of my game against Basil then the computer crashed and I lost it.
So My Hittites vs Basils Assyrian Empire and Sargonid:
A really brutal game that got both of us down to 1 point off breaking. I was able to rally a couple of units and cause a casualty on one of his so a victory to the Hittites.
I broke his left flank and started to roll up his army from that end while his mounted and heavy chariots destroyed my left flank and rolled up my line as well as getting my baggage. I flanked march a command of chariots who came on early and did very little until the closing stages of the game when they killed an Assyrian levy and some medium cavalry.
Thanks Basil for a really engrossing game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:10 pm 

Two games of Ancients today, both 15mm.
Brent, using his new Hittite Army, and Basil his Assyrians played 200pts ADLG
All I know about the game is that Brent flank marched some chariots that arrived on table on move two and were given inept orders.
Maybe Brent can give us some details.

Rick started teaching me his favourite Ancients Ruleset, Sword & Spear.
We played 300 points which gave us 12 units ( + three Command elements) each so same size as DBA.
I have never played anything like S&S before, a lot of dice involved but no twists & turns in the rule book looking at all sorts of minutiae as the rules are based on a broad outlook of ancient warfare eg there is no ZOC but more subtle rules preventing movement willy nilly. Combat is totally different, several dice are rolled by each unit, the numbers vary depending on the troop type and the unit charging. eg Roman Heavy Foot can get up to 7 dice against Light Foot's 2 dice.
Movement is very different and is governed by dice also. Each troop type has a discipline rating ranging from 3-5. If a general is attached then the unit adds one to the dice. So Roman Heavy Foot need a 4 to advance straight ahead (with a one element width slide if needed) and 5 to manoeuvre or move to contact.
Shooting is much more difficult as units have to advance into shooting range and stop.If you have thrown high enough the unit can move and shoot or shoot and move.
The army is Disordered when 1/3 of the Army Value is destroyed, Routed when 1/2 of the Army Value is destroyed.

Our game was a draw although I was one point off Army Disorder.

hmmmmmmmmm not sure but will have another go and see if I can get the hang of it.

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:14 pm 

Only one game on Sunday, 15mm 200 points ADLG between Andre & I.

Andre's Assyrians marched down from the hills of Assyria and invaded the Eastern Borders of Republican Rome's Empire.
The Romans were quivering in their caligula so formed up behind fields with hills and orchards on their flanks awaiting the dreaded Chariots.
The Roman General became bamboozled with the complexity of sorting out a plan and retired to his tent and indulged in the new fashionable drink from China, T .
The Hastati formed up on the hill, the Triarii moved forward into the fields to meet the Hupshu Warriors & Archers whilst the Italian & Gallic swordsmen formed up in a haphazard formation in a large Orchard to fend off the elite Asharitu Warriors. The Elephant marched into a gap between the hill and orchard to stop the chariots.
The Chariots charged forward and destroyed the Hastati & Elephant, the Hupshu and Archers beat up the Triarii in the fields but the elite Asharittu warriors were held up by the Italian & Gallic swordsmen suffering heavy casualties.
The Romans were smashed and retired.
Good win to Andre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:27 pm 

Its not often you see mediocre bowmen beat up elite heavy spearmen, but when the fight is taking place in ploughed fields after heavy rain anything can happen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:55 pm 

There are rumours that the Hittites have seen the ease of entering the Roman Empire and are advancing on a border outpost.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:12 pm 

One 15mm 200 points ADLG Ancients game today between Brent & I

I wrote a very good piece on our game but somehow lost the lot and ended up with a blank message body. (bit like my head after the game :shock: )
hence this brief Battle Report

Brent ran his Hittites, which included 10 chariots, against my Republican Romans, which included one Elephant.
The Romans invaded and thanks to a good deployment rushed forward into the Chariots with all the Heavy Foot and the Elephant After a very hard fought tussle with heavy casualties on both sides all the Heavy Chariots were destroyed and all but one Syracusan Slinger of the Republican Right Wing were also destroyed.
Very, very slim Win for the Republican Romans 22/23 - 24/24.
I was dazed and dizzy afterwards.
Thanks Brent for an unforgettable game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:07 pm 

One Ancients Game today, 15mm, 200 points, ADLG, between Brent & I

Brent's Hittites saw an opportunity to invade the Republican Roman's outer Empire as they received word that Scipio had his army on manoeuvrers with his new Ally, the Numidians.
Scipio heard of the Hittite invasion and quickly advanced to attack the Hittites before the indoctrination of the Numidians into the Latin ways of warfare and the basics of the Latin language were completed.
The Hittites Defended a line between a plantation and the far edge of a field with two Commands, the third command of Heavy Chariots was nowhere to be seen.
Scipio placed the Numidian Ally on his extreme Right in front of a large rough hill with gentle slopes, the Legions were in the centre opposite the Hittite Guards and Spearmen who were deployed in and beside a large field.
Scipio lead the Triarii and Elephant to the left of the Legions and opposite Hittite Heavy & Light Chariots.

"this should be a walk-over" Scipio thought and immediately sent out messengers to all units for an immediate advance.
Unfortunately most of the messengers tripped over and could not deliver the orders whilst the Numidians mistranslated their order to "advance" to "Hold the Hill at all costs"

With much urging Scipio's command and the Legions slowly made their way forward towards the Hittites, the Numidians stuck fast to "Holding the Hill" and did not advance at all. The Numidian Ally General was amazed at his orders as there was nothing in his path around the flank of the Hittite Infantry and into their Baggage Camp.
Scipio lead the Elephant and Triarii into the Hittite Light Chariots and the Legions entered the field into the Hittite Infantry all the while sending messengers to the Numidians to "get going-follow your orders".
The quick 'walk-over' turned into a slugging match as the Legions received heavy casualties all along their line on impact.
The Triarii and Elephant made no impact on the Light Chariots due to blunt spears and a wounded elephant.
The battle raged for some time then suddenly four heavy Chariots and supporting Light troops arrived on the flank of the stationary Numidians causing some to flee and disrupt. The Numidian Ally general was pleased to see them as he now had an excuse to move his command and began skirmishing with the Chariots and Light Foot.
The main engagement carried on with the Triarii and Elephant making slow progress whilst the Legions were being annihilated slowly.
Scipio thought that disaster loomed when he saw the Legions being attacked in the rear by flanking Heavy Chariots so mounted the Elephant and lead the charge against the Light Chariots which had been reinforced by two Syro-Canaanite Heavy Chariots, and turned the battle in the Roman's favour as the Elephant finally destroyed the pesky Light Chariot to its front and the Trarii, with Roman Cavalry support, cleaned up the remainder destroying the Chariot Wing.
The Hittite General was so mesmerized by the antics of Scipio atop the Elephant that he forgot to signal a 'Break-Off' order to his Chariots.
This was where the battle was won, Scipio's yells & screams dumbfounded the Hittite General..........

The Roman cavalry then supported the last of the Legions in destroying some of the Hittite Guard Spearmen. The Roman Legions were almost totally destroyed by this time.
Scipio then unleashed the wounded Elephant into the Hittite Baggage Camp breaking the Hittite army.

Another very memorable game against Brent with another very slim win for the Republican Romans 22/25 - 24+/ 24
It was all doom & gloom in the early stages but the sun finally broke through towards the end as Scipio rode the Elephant to Victory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:09 am 

Just a single game today between my reorganized Assyrians and Brent's Hittites who had 50% more heavy chariots than me.
There were plantations and fields on the right of the battlefield which I intended to attack through aggressively. The centre was open country and I intended to leave only a light horse and a single light chariot there. The left had some fields in Brent's rear and i had no interest in going there.
My rapid advance on the right intimidated Brent's infantry who withdrew towards the centre but then changed their minds and came back. My initial attack was bad as most of my frontline disrupted but we came back and destroyed his line. I had 1 archer unit destroyed.
His initial shooting disrupted both my delaying units but they retired rapidly and apart from a late light chariot charge that area saw little action. Not a single heavy chariot got into contact.
Decisive victory as i only lost 8/22 against his 24/24.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:31 pm 

awesum4 wrote:
There were plantations and fields on the right of the battlefield which I intended to attack through aggressively.
My rapid advance on the right intimidated Brent's infantry who withdrew towards the centre but then changed their minds and came back. My initial attack was bad as most of my frontline disrupted but we came back and destroyed his line. I had 1 archer unit destroyed.
Not a single heavy chariot got into contact.
Decisive victory as i only lost 8/22 against his 24/24.

So you must have destroyed all the Hittite Infantry in & around the plantations ?
What were all the Hittite Chariots (Heavy & Light) doing whilst all the Hittite Infantry were being slaughtered ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 pm 

The light chariots were engaged in a complex game of cat and mouse with my light chariots.
The heavy chariots were resolutely refusing to advance to attack my heavy chariots as I had a couple of mixed units who could shoot at them from a plantation. It is possible they were engaged in learning Assyrian in preparation for their surrender.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:41 pm 

Noticed this at club today.
Brian's elite Franks cowering shamefully near their table edge, as Gordon's more ordinary Gauls courageously assault... :P

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:21 pm 

The plan to entice the Gallic Horde into the Field ( rough going ) and then fight them whilst my Franks were in good going worked well.
A massive win to the Franks.
Thanks for posting the pic Mark.

Rick introduced Eric to Sword & Spear today but I know nothing of the game so can not post any more until I hear from Rick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17