South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Society of Ancients Championship
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:21 pm 

Hi All

One of my Facebook friends, U.K. wargamer, Denis Grey, posted this message in the “DBMM New Zealand” Facebook and has asked me to share it through other channels in NZ:

“Are any members of the group also members of the Society of Ancients? http://www.soa.org.uk If so, please would you submit the results of your games against other SOA members for next year’s SoA Championship?

“The SoA championship is open to all members of the Society using any mutually agreed set of rules. However, the current year has been dominated by DBA and Armati and by players living in England. (I plead guilty on both counts.)

“Having been asked to help promote the Championship, I'd like to both increase the number of different rules featured and correct the current geographical bias. This seemed a good place to start.”

Vince
for Denis Grey

Post subject: Re: Society of Ancients Championship
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 pm 

Society of Ancients players in Christchurch have in the past submitted a number of game results to previous SOA Championships with a few achieving placings. To the best of my knowledge, and I have organised a significant proportion of the SOA Championship result submissions over the years, all have been DBA games.

Unfortunately a number of members have allowed their SOA membership to lapse. This in my mind is the more significant issue.

Post subject: Re: Society of Ancients Championship
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm 

First up you need a list of all New Zealand Members of the SOA.
There has been some discussion on the SOA Forum over the years re the Championship and including SOA games at other events around the world. I came up with the idea of a SOA badge for members to wear when at wargaming events such as Natcon, so that when two SOA Members were playing each other they would see the SOA badge and make the game an SOA Championship game as well. Nothing happened re a badge so I made up my own.

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'