South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ADLG speed of play
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 pm 

Interesting observations from Dan Hazelwood on the ADLG USA Yahoo group:
+++++++
What I learned at the Worlds other than battle reports.

So the French are pretty determined that all games have a 7 turn minimum and have blitz rules to enforce that. Leave aside whether we need that or not.

This is a 7 turn game.

But what really hit me very clearly at the Worlds that I did not fully Grok before that. ADLG games are over in 6-7 turns. I had been inadvertently watching this before the worlds and maybe 1 out of my last 30 games exceeded 7 turns. That includes a cross section of fairly heavy armies. As I think over the past few tournaments I umpired I don’t see many other games exceeded 7 turns either.

I suspect a lot of players like myself, were used to games with more of a 8-12 turn range. But ADLG is very different. I used to think I had more time then you actually do in an ADLG game.

What this means that players should design armies and battle plans with the idea of winning within 6-7 turns. This is true regardless of army composition. You should not expect to shoot down 12 enemy heavy infantry with missile fire alone in that time range. But you can soften a point up and then attack and exploit in that time frame.

As you think through 7 turns, it helps solidify decisions.

When I think back over the past year on my successful armies, they all had in common a plan to attack and win quickly. I was using the 6-7 turn mindset successfully. But now I understand why that was important.

Just thought I’d share.

Post subject: Re: ADLG speed of play
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 pm 

Yes I would say that all three games at the Club today finished within seven turns.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:02 am 

It's hardly surprising. If both players deploy fully in (Which most do) light horse can be in combat in the first players phase. Cavalry can be in combat by the end of his second phase. Auxiliaries by the end of the second turn. Two lines of heavy foot will be in by the end of the third turn, that means they have 9 rounds of melee to get a result by the end of the 7th turn.
That's plenty of time to get a result.

If one player deployed along the base line and remained static his opponent would charge him in the 7th turn if he had an army entirely of heavy foot. There is only 1 player I have met in 40 years of gaming who would even consider that to be a valid tactic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 am 

Actually it's quicker than that. If the stationary player doesn't put out ambushes or skirmishes and the moving player only has heavy foot and throws 1s on every command throw he charges on the 5th turn. So 5 rounds of melee before turn 7 is up. The approach turns would go pretty quickly so I assume there is plenty of time to get a result