South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confrontation first impressions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:11 am 

Confrontation is a skirmish wargame, similar in size to Mordheim.
The games are based around turns where players alternate activating their miniatures based on the order of cards in their activation sequence (pile of cards).

Darren and I had a crack at this on Sunday (very basic rules - no magic, war machines or special abilities).

The game was actually kind of fun (even though I did get completely and utterly caned :roll: )

The main difference I noticed between Confrontation and Warhammer was that the soldiers last a lot longer (they all have three wound levels: lightly wounded, seriously wounded and critically wounded) and also that there are far more options in defence and attack than Warhammer (where there is just roll to hit).

I have a sneaking hunch that the order cards are played in is far more important than Darren and I were able to appreciate. No doubt there are subtle nuances involved in placing cards in reserve or skipping a turn that I just don't have enough experience in the game to be able to apperciate yet.

With the benefit of hindsight I really needed some wizards (to summon more undead with), some cheap cannon fodder (which I have but had lost the cards for) and probably also my special abilities (which I have not read up on yet).
I'll try to get the special abilities read up on sometime this week so I can give Darren another game of Confrontation before Warhammer7 is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:56 pm 

Location: Smoking endless cigars, through a luminous balaclava, in no man's land...
Hi,

Thanks for doing a write up. Sounds like a really interesting game, particularly the card activation system. How much are the rules? How many figures are required for an average game? How much do figures cost? How long did the game take to play?

Cheers

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:19 am 

MattOS wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for doing a write up. Sounds like a really interesting game, particularly the card activation system. How much are the rules? How many figures are required for an average game? How much do figures cost? How long did the game take to play?

Cheers

Matt

The rules cost me 40-something dollars NZ on eBay (including shipping), although to buy them direct from Rackham costs 30 euros (not including shipping).

The points system for confrontation usually works on multiples of 100, with the normal game size being 300 or 400 points. The rules restrict you to 5 models per 100 points, so even if you were building a horde army you would only be able to field 15 models in a 300 point force (or 20 in a 400). In the game we played (400 pts.) I had 12 models and Darren about the same.

The cost of the miniatures can be found in the Rackham online store:
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_u ... e_lg=lg_us

The game took about 2 hours (although that included the time I spent fumbling through the rulebook :roll: ).

If you want to try it out then in about a month i'll have enough Acheron (undead) miniatures to field 2 separate armies, which means people can try out a game using my miniatures without needing to spend any money themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:03 pm 

I have a few Wolfen figures that I would love to have a go with. About 400pts ish. I'm not a member but have been looking at joining for a few years and never got round to it. If you're available I could come down join up and give my Wolfen some exercise chewing on some old bones :lol:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:01 am 

JohnnyG wrote:
I have a few Wolfen figures that I would love to have a go with. About 400pts ish. I'm not a member but have been looking at joining for a few years and never got round to it. If you're available I could come down join up and give my Wolfen some exercise chewing on some old bones :lol:.

Hi Johnny,

I replied to your post in the other thread about Confrontation.