South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:00 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cavaliers club new location
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 am 

Hey guys,

Duncan who is the new president of the Cavs has put a longish video (10.02 mins) up about the new location on Youtube.

Have a look see to preview the new location.

Post subject: Re: Cavaliers club new location
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:58 am 

Geez videos are annoying! How about just a quick written summary so you can get the facts!
I think this is correct, but not double checking:

Papanui Youth Centre, 1A Harewood Road.
$40 membership
$30 under 18's
$20 if already member of Woolston Wargaming Club

Thursdays evenings.
Has better food availability nearby, plus bus stops, 30 car parks on site for members.

Opening Thursday 14th July.

Anyway well done to Cavs for getting new venue too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:29 am 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
Geez videos are annoying! How about just a quick written summary so you can get the facts!
I think this is correct, but not double checking:

Papanui Youth Centre, 1A Harewood Road.
$40 membership
$30 under 18's
$20 if already member of Woolston Wargaming Club

Thursdays evenings.
Has better food availability nearby, plus bus stops, 30 car parks on site for members.

Opening Thursday 14th July.

Anyway well done to Cavs for getting new venue too. :)

He's lucky I did that for him. I only posted because some of the people (older guys) without facebook aren't getting the updates, which is bad for the local gaming scene. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:37 am 

Yeah, people need to realise that videos are an awful format if you just want to get a few key facts quickly. They have their place and its a good video otherwise but why not also just give a quick written summary in the blurb for the vid like I did?! Someone should let them know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:33 pm 

Mark_The_Great wrote:
Yeah, people need to realise that videos are an awful format if you just want to get a few key facts quickly. They have their place and its a good video otherwise but why not also just give a quick written summary in the blurb for the vid like I did?! Someone should let them know.

Hi forums dudes

I'm afraid the whole point of this big announcement is it isn't just a few key facts which is why I've chosen video as the format as its a much quicker way to convey the information than writing out a huge page of writing that most people will skim through. Most info for the club is still presented in txt format, e.g. like the memberships info today. But it is on facebook, please join this group;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1115155001858951/

Some time ago before I came onboard as the president the organisation of Cavs was moved to facebook. We need to have a single source of information so that is where members will need to get their club info from. If they are not part of facebook then this is a good reason to sign up, even if they only use it for Cavs stuff. Life changes and people need to change with it, that is the nature of the world we live in.

Posting a few limited facts like above isn't super helpful for this type of announcement, some people will read that and turn up and park in the RSA carpark and get towed, or will not be aware that membership is now compulsory and will complain that they couldn't join the campaign in time because they hadn't sorted their membership, or will turn up with alcohol and more....

So... I will try and remember occasionally to login here and post about stuff, but when I do it will be posting links to facebook like we are already doing for tournaments and more. I haven't had much time to do it the last few weeks as this has been an insanely busy period due to the lack of notice we got about the sale of the club.

So if you want to know whats happening with the club watch the video in the link of the post at the top :-) .......... It's a huge change for the club after almost 10 years at shirley being part of the working mens club, if you're interested and wanting to know whats going on and when to come and rejoin the new club 10mins to get all the correct info isn't a big deal.

I've lurked on this forum for years, I've always used a variety of forums myself in years gone by for clubs of all types but I'm afraid they have been replaced by social media now on most fronts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:07 pm 

Welcome Duncan,

Listen, I get that you're trying to be up to date with tech and good on you, but there's a better way.
If your concern is that people will miss important info (as I and others probably did trying to skim the video ironically, didn't see anything about alcohol - so that didn't work very well), then summarise the basic facts as I did above and add a line: "Please watch video for important information about parking /alcohol (etc)".
AND get to those more important details FIRST in the vid rather than talking about a 40k campaign and other details superfluous to some Cav members!
This way people can see in 10 seconds rather than 10 minutes whether the location/time suits, and then look at the video for further info if interested. It's more respectful and causes less TLDW frustration.

And here's the deal with modern technology - presenting the information in MULTIPLE formats is preferable!
Because different people have different preferences.
There's heaps of research on this and it's standard knowledge in the information/marketing industries.
Look at Kickstarter or other such projects for examples of how it should be done.

I don't mean to be harsh, I think it is an good video generally like I said and good on you for what you and the Cavs are doing. Please just spend a minute adding some text to your video blurbs to make them a 10/10! :wink:

Hopefully the Woolston Committee members read and remember this when doing announcements too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:26 pm 

Hey all,
If one of you have Facebook and can share the link as you have done that would be great. Duncan and I have been working to get the club back up and running the past few weeks. This was our first announcement video of it's kind so obviously we are still learning etc. Duncan has done an amazing job! Apologies if we do not use the forum much as trying to keep everything up to date is tiresome. Facebook is free and a fantastic way to keep in touch with a load of people and all war gaming clubs I know use it now days! The Cavaliers Facebook group is where you will find 100% up to date information as we get it.
I do hear what you are saying and we will endeavour to make a list of action points in the video link so you can read and not hear.
If you would like to help us make things better than we could use more board members.
Also it is a youth church venue so no alcohol should be obvious.

Kind regards

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:32 pm 

Cheers Ginga, and keep up the good work.