South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:43 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edge of Darkness – A Brute Force Campaign
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:32 pm 

Player Pack

Cost of entry $5

Edge of Darkness is a small scale skirmish campaign. It is set on a small backwater world on the edge of imperial space. This world has been largely ignored by any race, until now...

Army

You may select from any current codex up to 550pts. With the following rules

You only need 1 troops choice
You may only have 1 HQ choice (you are allowed to have no HQ)
No Monstrous Creatures
No special or named characters
No 2+ Saves
No vehicle with a total armour of 34 or more

OR

You can field the space marine portion of the black reach boxed set, exactly as it comes.

1 x Space Marine Captain – boltgun, power sword
5 x Terminators – storm bolter's, power fists, Sergeant power weapon
10 x tactical marines – Sergeant close combat weapon, flamer, missile launcher
1 x Dreadnought – multimelta, dreadnought close combat weapon

Total 585 pts

Campaign Play

This will be a map based campaign. Players will be divided into teams and each team will begin in control of a “key objective”

Players may battle each other in 1 vs 1 games or join up with a team-mate to challenge another team for control of a key objective. This will be a 2 vs 2 match.

Teams will be issued with strategy cards and may gain more by completing missions and controlling key objectives. These may be played during games for added advantage.

Teams will be awarded points for various things; winning battles, completing missions and buying me beer. The team with the most points wins the campaign and the best general in this team will win a prize. (the rest of his team may get a little something too.)

Games will be played on club night.

More details will follow once all players have signed up. Including background story, detailed campaign rules, length of campaign, etc

Last edited by JarredK on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:48 am 

Sucks man, I'd be keen to get involved. Can't afford the petrol though :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:05 pm 

Tackledummy wrote:
Sucks man, I'd be keen to get involved. Can't afford the petrol though :cry:

We'd be keen to have you dude. Perhaps we could run a South Island wide campaign later in the year? Nothing to serious just something small and see how things go. If anyones interested please start a new thread (I want to keep this one for Edge of Darkness)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:10 pm 

Made some changes to the player pack (in red)

Post subject: OP terminaters
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:26 pm 

just one point id like to make. terminaters are 2+ saves which is against the rules but i guees since they are part of the black reach set but 5 of em would destroy anyone without them.

this is chris from the club btw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:44 pm 

Good to see you posting here Chris

If you take the black reach set you get to break the rules (no other army can field a dreadnought, they have a total armour of 34)

Yes terminators can be tough in a small game. However the black reach players have to take their terminators as they are. No heavy weapons.

There are also a few other drawbacks to taking the black reach set.

- everyone will be expecting it
- It’s not really an ideal configuration

You can be sure the experienced guys will be packing enough to deal with 1 squad of terminators & a dreadnought. That’s why they’ve got 35 less points to play with.

The campaign is designed to be a learning experience for all our new members. It should also be a lot of fun.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:12 pm 

Count me and my Tau in!

Although I gotta say that perhaps expanding the unit cap to 600 would be an idea? It means that the rest of us can field a bit more heavy weaponry to deal with the +2 saves that the black reach players get from their terminators, I realize they are at the disadvantage of having a set army to field but I'm still not sure if that makes it fair that they have extra units and two strong units (terminators and dread naughts)

Any idea when it'll start?

(Tim from the club...shorten Mitosis to mit, it's just Tim backwards ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:53 pm 

Quote:
Count me and my Tau in!

That's the spirit! Glad you decided to join the forum Tim. We'll take over this place one Coaster at a time! :D

Probably won't expand the points cap. If you find your tau are having a tough time against terminators then I'll likely introduce something to balance this during the campaign.

Don't worry too much. The black reach set is a fairly static marine army, lacking any serious long ranged firepower. A clever cookie like you should be able to beat it with 550 points of tau. :wink:

Next week we'll get things organised. People can bring there entry fee (so I can get some prizes ordered) and then well pick some teams. I'll give you all a rough idea of how things are going to work, then maybe try some warm up games. We'll get the campaign started properly the following club night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:41 pm 

We have a few players who are just starting to get into it and I'm not sure when their armies will be in a playable (glued) condition, so do you think
late entries will be accepted?

Edit: Also I consider myself a bit of a lore-nerd so will there be any story behind this or do you want us to write one up ourselves? As I said, lore-nerd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 pm 

Quote:
We have a few players who are just starting to get into it and I'm not sure when their armies will be in a playable (glued) condition, so do you think
late entries will be accepted?

There are more of you!? :shock: I was surprised at the number of new people who turned up last week. :D

If you could give me an idea of how many might be interested we could work something out. If they register next week (just need $5 and an army type) then they still have 2 weeks to glue their armies together and work out a list. I want to include as many players as possible.

Quote:
Also I consider myself a bit of a lore-nerd so will there be any story behind this or do you want us to write one up ourselves? As I said, lore-nerd.

Yes there will be a story. That is part of the reason I need to know who's playing what army.

You can have some input as to the goals and alignment of your team. You can also go to town on the background for your army.
No-one has to write anything if they don't want to, I'll fill in the blanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 pm 

yea jared theres 2 possibly more new guys coming. one plays necron and one will probably go IG but is yet to get an army sorted. and should be fun making and army to kick terminator ass :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:30 pm 

Chris you forgot about Jared who's likely to play Dark Eldar and Steve who is likely to play Nids. Also Tim Wylde has that Eldar is was gunna paint up and play with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:32 pm 

Cool, they're welcome to enter. Your necron friend may struggle a little against the brute force set. If he's having a tough time I might bend the rules a little.

If these guys have trouble fielding 550 pts then I could possibly lend them some stuff for the campaign. I've got necron & IG army's

The IG guy knows to hold off buying a codex until the new one is released? I can lend him one till then.

I know you'll be able to deal with terminators Chris, I've seen at least 1 plasma cannon in your army. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:38 pm 

Mitosis wrote:
Chris you forgot about Jared who's likely to play Dark Eldar and Steve who is likely to play Nids. Also Tim Wylde has that Eldar is was gunna paint up and play with

Bloody hell, where are all you people coming from? :D

Anyone who doesn't register next Wednesday can still take part as "Neutral" forces. They won't have to pay, but won't be part of a team or eligible for prizes. They don't have to be at the club to register, as long as they give there $5 to someone who is.

Post subject: Count me in
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 pm 

I've got my space marines from the BR set but i dont have a codex or a rulebook at the moment so it wont make a difference for me lol.

Oh well, i'll give it a try anyway :!:

-Phil