South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wairarapa DBMM Two Day Match
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:05 am 

Here is the first heads up about the 2015 Wairarapa DBMM Two Day Match. DBMM are a set of rules for Ancient and Medieval games. This year it will be on November 14 and 28 at the Parkvale Deerstalkers' Hall. This is an excellent venue, just outside Carterton - easy to get to, plenty of parking, lots of tables, a big kitchen where we will be serving homemade food during the day and at lunchtime, and a fantastic atmosphere in the hall. It is on the corner of Moreton Road and Carters Line. The indicative cost is $25 covering both days.

The competition will be for the impressive horse trophy, won last year by Peter Noble. Two rounds a day, 400AP unless both players agree to 450AP. Suggested timings are 8.45am to 12.30pm, and 1pm to 4.45pm. The second round could start earlier if both players are ready.

No need to register yet but I would appreciate replies to indicate interest toysoldiers111 at gmail dot com

Best regards
Vince

Vince Cholewa
027 344 1073

Post subject: Re: Wairarapa DBMM Two Day Match
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:51 am 

Hello all

So far 11 people have said they are keen to play at the annual Wairarapa DBMM Two Day match. More are most welcome. To date, those indicating they will be playing this year are Phil Gates, Allen Yaxley, Paul Graham (one day only), Gary Lewis, David McLachlan, Drew Fortune, Peter Noble, Dirk Heinsius (one day only), Andrew Brazendale, Kelly Gay and me. If you want to take part, please let me know.

We will be playing 25mm DBMM on 8' x 6' tables, two games a day, 400AP unless both players agree to a different total. The venue is the Parkvale Deerstalkers' Hall, on the corner of Moreton Road and Carter's Line, just outside Carterton. Coffee, tea, and lunch will be provided at the hall. Indicative cost is $25 covering both days.

Vince
027 344 1073

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:38 am 

​Hello all

With four weeks to go before the first Saturday of the Wairarapa Two Day Match, November 14 and 28, we have 17 players. Those who are coming, would you please email me to confirm your army. I will use Maurikian Byzantines for all four rounds. Players are welcome to use more than one army - if you do, then please specify beforehand which army you will use in which round.

If you have not yet pre-registered but would like to play, there is still room but please let me know as soon as you can. You are welcome to play as teams allocating rounds among the team as you wish, and you can also play for just one day if you like.

Armies are 25mm, 400AP but can be larger or smaller AP if both players agree. Games will be 4 hours. The tables in the hall are approximately 10' long, though we will use only 8' for the games.

Those pre-registered to date are, in alphabetical order:

Andrew Brazendale
Vince Cholewa (Maurikian Byzantine)
Alastair Duncan
Drew Fortune
Phil Gates
Kelly Gay
Paul Graham (November 14 only)
Dirk Heinsius (one Saturday only - which one?)
John van den Hoeven
David Kinzett
Gary Lewis
David McLachlan
Scott Neilsen
Peter Noble
Doug Smith
Mike Thorn
Allen Yaxley

Venue: Parkvale Deerstalkers' Hall, Carterton, corner of Moreton Road and Carters Line. Lots of parking on site.
Directions: Travel along State Highway 2, which is the main road through Carterton, and Moreton Road has a big sign pointing to Stonehenge Aotearoa (yes, there really is such a place, see the link below). It is a five to 10 minute minute drive to the end of Moreton Road and the hall is on your right. There are no other buildings around it.
Timings: Two rounds each day, 8:45am to 12:45pm and 1:15pm to 5:15pm.
Cost: $25 covering both days.
Food: There is an excellent kitchen at the venue, which is used to cater for functions. Morning and afternoon teas and lunch will be provided on site at most reasonable prices. Convenient, fresh, and cheaper and better than cafes.

[url]​http://www.stonehenge-aotearoa.co.nz/[/url]

Love to see you at the Wairarapa Two Day Match
Vince

Vince Cholewa
027 344 1073
toysoldiers111 at gmail dot com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:27 am 

Hello all

I have emailed the following message to those who have entered the Wairarapa Two Day Match. You will not see the attachment in this forwarded email. If you would like to join in too, please let me know. My email is toysoldiers111 at gmail dot com

So far we have 19 players in total for the Wairarapa Two Day Match, with 16 playing on November 14 and 17 on November 28.

Attached is a list of entries to date. It is arranged alphabetically by surname - the order is not significant for the first round draw. If I have made a mistake with your army or I do not have your army (or armies) listed yet, please let me know and I will make the changes or additions.

Best regards
Vince

Vince Cholewa
027 344 1073

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:30 pm 

Hello all

Lots of pix from the first day of the Wairarapa Two-Day-Match today are in several posts on the Masterton Marauders and DBMM Facebooks. The Marauders' Facebook also includes a short preview published in our local paper, the Wairarapa Times-Age.

The second day of the competition will be Saturday, November 28. I will publish a full draw and some comments later but for the record, the round 3 top of the table clash will be Peter Noble, who is last year's champion, using Post-Mongol Samurai vs David McLachlan, Marian Roman.

Masterton Marauders https://www.facebook.com/groups/110862205607872/
DBMM https://www.facebook.com/groups/394869307347762/

Vince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:20 pm 

Hello all

Here is a progress report after the first day's play of the Wairarapa Two-Day-Match (November 14 and 28).

Last year's champion, Peter Noble (Post-Mongol Samurai) is leading with 48 points out of 50. David McLachlan (Marian Roman) is not far behind on 46 points. Peter and David will be playing each other in round three. Gary Lewis and Paul Graham are the leading general slayers, having accounted for three each. Allen Yaxley is leading looter of baggage, having captured three elements.

Thank yous are in order for Mim Hughes-Cholewa, who provided the catering, and to More FM and the Wairarapa Times-Age for their reporting.

Welcome to Mike Thorn (Huns) and Che Tibby (Seleucids) who had to played DBMM before. Great to have you guys on board and enjoying the game.

Feedback on the Parkvale Deerstalkers' Hall is positive: well lit, easy to find (only one driver got lost!), a good kitchen, and great ambiance with all the hunting trophies on the walls. We had two non-competing gamers come along, Craig Mabon and Rex Fowler played a 25mm Marlburian game using Horse Foot and Guns. We had some members of the public come through and we are hoping to see them back at the club.

The round 3 draw is:
- Peter Noble (Post-Mongol Samurai) vs David McLachlan (Marian Roman)
- Gary Lewis (Komnenan Byzantine) vs Doug Smith (Pre-Feudal Scots in rounds 1 and 2; and Lancastrians in rounds 3 and 4)
- Andrew Brazendale (Early Achaemenid Persian) vs Phil Gates (Later Carthaginian)
- Allen Yaxley (Early Carthaginian, Later Carthaginian; then book 3 and book 4 armies in rounds 3 and 4) vs Mike Thorn (Huns)
- Richard Fields (Polybian Roman) vs John van den Hoeven (Trojan)
- Drew Fortune (Ottoman Turks) vs John Zittersteijn (Early Imperial Roman)
- Alastair Duncan (Western Sudanese; rounds 3 and 4 tbc) vs Kelly Gay (Asiatic Early Successor; rounds 3 and 4 tbc)
- Rob Curry (Seleucid) vs Kevin O'Kane (Lidyan)

Rob and Kevin have not played in rounds 1 and 2 and will be joining us on Saturday November 28 for rounds 3 and 4. Paul and Che will not be playing on the second day.

Everyone who is playing on November 28, I will be asking your opinions for "best opponent and damn fine chap" and "best presented army".

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday week
Vince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:08 pm 

Hello all

The second day of the Wairarapa Two-Day-Match was held today. Pictures are on the Masterton Marauders and DBMM Facebooks. Both are public pages and you do not need your own Facebook account to view them.

DBMM https://www.facebook.com/groups/394869307347762/

Masterton Marauders https://www.facebook.com/groups/110862205607872/

I will post a full list of results a little later. The Facebook pix are a series of posts from the day.

Vince

Post subject: Re: Wairarapa DBMM Two Day Match - results
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:57 pm 

The Wairarapa Two-Day-Match is a 25mm DBMM ancient and medieval tournament open to all armies from the army lists. We play four games on 8' x 6' tables with 400 army points (AP) per army, and games of up to four hours. Players can use different AP totals if both agree. Most games were 400AP with a few 450AP.

Nineteen people took part, including me as non-playing umpire and organiser, with players from Palmerston North, Wairarapa, Hutt Valley, Wainuiomata and Wellington. It was great to see two new players, Che Tibby and Mike Thorn, and to see Rob Curry and Kevin O'Kane back in the saddle. We had a nice preview in the local paper, the Wairarapa Times-Age, before the first day, and one of the paper's photographers came along today.

A huge thank you is owed to my darling wife, Mim (a.k.a. Dr Miriam Hughes), for the catering. Chili con carne on the first day and chicken curry on the second, with, on both days ham and cheese rolls, tea, coffee and biscuits. I am indeed a lucky and most appreciative husband :-)

Peter Noble was last year's champion and he came back this year and won again. Well done Peter and everyone who played - all games were played in excellent spirit. We would love to see you all back next year, second and fourth Saturdays, November 2016.

The results were:

Best opponent and finest chap there - Phil Gates
Best presented army - Drew Fortune, Ottoman Turks

Peter Noble (Post-Mongol Samurai day 1 and Ptolemaic day 2) 81/100
David McLachlan (Marian Roman) 77
Gary lewis (Komnenan byzantine) 69
Doug Smith (Pre-Feudal Scots day 1 and Wars of the Roses Lancastrians day 2) 63
Andrew Brazendale (Later Achaemenid Persians) 49
Mike Thorn (Huns) 48
Drew Fortune (Ottoman Turks) 48
Allen Yaxley (armies from books 1-4 for each of the four rounds respectively) 46
Richard Fields (Polybian roman) 46
Alastair Duncan (Western Sudanese day 1, Low Countries and Tupi day 2) 44
Phil Gates, (Later Carthaginian) 40
Paul Graham (Parthian) 35 - played day 1 only
Che Tibby (Seleucid) - played day 1 only
John Zittersteijn (Early Imperial Roman) 32
John van den Hoeven )Trojans) 30
Kelly Gay (Early Asiatic Successor day 1 and Wars of the Roses Lancastrians day 2) 27
Rob Curry (Alexandrian Macedonians) 15 - played day 2 only
Kevin O'Kane (Lydians) 14 - played day 2 only

General slayer, Gary Lewis, 4 generals
Looter of baggage, Allen Yaxley, 3 elements of baggage

Vince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:02 pm 

Hello all

I have uploaded to the Masterton Marauders' blog pictures from day 1 of the Wairarapa Two-Day-Match. These, unlike a Facebook public group, can be accessed by all - enjoy. http://mastertonmarauders.blogspot.co.nz/2015/11/pix-from-first-day-of-two-day-match.html

I will upload pictures from day 2 tomorrow.

Vince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 am 

Hello all

As promised a link to pictures from day 2 of the Wairarapa Two-Day-Match http://mastertonmarauders.blogspot.co.nz/2015/11/pix-from-second-day-of-wairarapa-two.html

Vince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:23 pm 

Hello all

Here is a link to a copy of the story in this morning's Wairarapa Times-Age. http://mastertonmarauders.blogspot.co.nz/2015/11/story-in-this-mornings-times-age.html

Vince