South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 5:04 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bring your spears to the Wellington Warlords, April 1
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 am 

Hello all

The Wellington Warlords has kindly agreed to have us host a DBMM theme day, "bring your spears", at the club meeting on Saturday, April 1. Mark the date in your diary and let me know if you are interested in playing.

While most DBMM gaming in NZ is 25mm, the theme is open to all scales and I will do what I can to arrange games if people want to play 15mm. 6mm is welcome too - let me know what base sizes you use.

Seeing Alastair's and Gary's gorgeous Spartans and Thebans at ValleyCon inspired the idea of a "bring your spears" theme. It is not a competition, just an opportunity for fun gaming, using armies including lots of hoplites or other spearmen.

I don't have a strict definition of what is a "bring your spears" army but the spear option for Early Slavs would be in, while medieval armies with spearmen and dismounted knights who fight as blades would be out. Hoplite armies are, of course, most welcome.

Please reply to this post and email (depending on how you receive it) if you are interested or have any questions.

I will post reminders and more details.

Best regards
Vince

Vince Cholewa
027 344 1073

Post subject: Re: Bring your spears to the Wellington Warlords, April 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 am 

Hi all

A reminder of the "bring your spears" theme day at the Wellington Warlords, Saturday, April 1.

Thank you to those who have already said they are coming. There is definitely room for more. So far we have different varieties of Carthaginian, and also Lydians and Trojans. No hoplite Greeks yet but we know you are out there and would love to see you playing.

The event is free to Warlords club members and gold coin donation if you are not. The club provides tea, coffee and biscuits. For those who have not been there, there several cafes, a fish and chip shop and a supermarket all within five minutes walk.

If you receive this message by email, please reply. If you read it on a discussion group and cannot see my email, it is toysoldiers111 at gmail dot com

Best regards
Vince Cholewa
027 344 1073

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:08 pm 

Hello all

A reminder that the theme day, "bring your spears", is this Saturday at the Wellington Warlords. It is a club meeting day. A gold coin donation to the club from non-members will be muchly appreciated.

I would like to complete the 25mm DBMM draw before Saturday morning! Please confirm you are coming and how many points you want to play.

So far we have 10 in total playing 25mm DBMM and 15mm ADLG. More are welcome.

Personally, I don't have a strictly "spear" army but do have Thracians with a mercenary Greek hoplite ally. I would use that in the event of odd numbers.

Please be there for a 10am start. It is not a competition, just an opportunity to line tables with lots and lots of spears :-)

Best regards
Vince Cholewa
027 344 1073
toysoldiers111 at gmail dot com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 pm 

Hi all

Many thanks to all who have signed up to take part in the "bring your spears" theme day at the Wellington Warlords tomorrow, starting at 10am.

The draw is:

Alastair Duncan, Spartans vs
Mark Pickup, hoplite Greeks (I am not sure which state)

Kevin O'Kane, Lydians vs
John van den Hoeven, Trojans

Richard mason, Saitic Egyptian vs
Peter Noble, 3rd Dynasty Ur

Allen Yaxley vs
Craig Ellison (this is a game postponed from the last Hutt Club meeting because of illness)

In addition, Bryan Fowler, Steve Ladanyi, Peter Hood and Andrew Olphert are playing ADLG, though I understand there may be a ring-in for one of the players.

You will notice I am not on the list, which works just fine for matrimonial bliss given my unexpectedly longer stay in Auckland this week.

See you tomorrow morning
Vince

Vince Cholewa
027 344 1073

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:40 pm 

A big thank you to all who took part in the "bring your spears" theme day at the Wellington Warlords on Saturday. It was good to see five tables being used for ancients: four DBMM and one ADLG. Lots of others turned up to see what was going on and catch up with old friends.

We will look at more opportunities to encourage Ancients at the Warlords. Please let me know if have suggestions or events they would like to put on.

Mentions in dispatches are:

Russell Patton, who traveled from Feilding for the day - great to see you again Russell after far too many years; and Mark Pickup who rescued my DBx bag. I have a brief case that contains all my DBMM, DBR, DBA and HotT rules and lists, and my dice, measuring sticks, etc. I left it behind and Mark, being a gentleman, found it and brought it to work with him today.

25mm DBMM players were: Peter Noble (Ur), Richard Mason (Saitic Egyptian), Alastair Duncan (Spartan), Mark (Syracusan Greek), John van den Hoeven (Trojan), Kevin O'Kane (Lydian), Allen Yaxley (Constantinian Byzantine), Craig Ellison (Late Roman) - Allen and Craig were outside the theme and were playing a game postponed from last weekend's meeting at the Hutt Valley Wargaming Club.

ADLG players were Bryan Fowler and Stephen Ladanyi.

Best regards
Vince